Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. jeepshop

Bronco II Straight Axle Conversion Details and Photos

Yup the SAS is a bit of cash, we have a shop so it took a lot of the sting out. Would've liked to have gone with XJ long arms, but even now we've noticed that the front driveshaft bound on full drivers droop. We clearenced the yoke and it's been fine, but wouldn't take anymore flex. I wonder if...
  2. jeepshop

We used a '91 4.0 from an Ex that was totalled after we had just put in a rebuilt only 5k miles before, the kid kit a horse at 2am. The trans is the old Toyo Koygo from the '84, it'll live for a while.
  3. jeepshop

You can really build a 2.8, I love 'em. Go with a Schnieder cam, a 1.21 motorcraft carb from a '77-'79 400 and Duraspark ignition. You'll REALLY love your 2.8 after that!
  4. jeepshop

Ok, we finally did it! Taz now has a 4.0! Yes! Daniel finally returned home from his 4 years in the Navy and it was his dream that kept him going while in the gulf to swap in the Explorer 4.0. Through Nov and Dec we took a couple of Saturdays (and many long afternoons sorting through wiring...
  5. jeepshop

86 bronco vaccum help

That is a breather hose, it runs to the vent on the trans if it's a manual trans, then straight up into the manual t-case shifter with a vent cap on top. Do NOT run a vacume line from the t-case to the intake.
  6. jeepshop

Not sure what you mean, did you follow the thread? I'm pretty sure most of the pics still work, but a lot are dead links now.
  7. jeepshop

Looks good! We thought about an XJ front but thought there might be clearence issues with the oil filter, no one had done an SAS on a BII that we could find at the time.
  8. jeepshop

The springs have not sagged a bit, looks like they will work just fine.
  9. jeepshop

The springs are rear Jeep Yj leaves with another main and second leaf added because the BII is so much heavier than a Wrangler. As you can see though the BII flexes well with 7 leaves, rides very well too.
  10. jeepshop

transfer case

The Explorer/Ranger manual T-case has a flange for a traditional Cardan type front driveshaft, plus a larger flange for the rear allowing for the same type in the rear with bigger ujoints.
  11. jeepshop

transfer case

All BII and Ranger T-cases will swap in, as will the better Explorer and later Ranger T-case, but you'll need different driveshafts for the latter.
  12. jeepshop

2.8 swap with2.9

The 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 flywheels all bolt in place of each other, although the 4.0 requires a different clutch and starter. The 2.8 flywheel will and does work very well in a 2.9. There are 2 different 2.8 flywheels, one retains the pilot bearing, the other puts it in the crankshaft. It depends...
  13. jeepshop

my 89 B2 - new owner- need advice

Yes the front diff assembly will bolt right in, no the rear Explorer diff will not without a complete fab job. The 4.0 will fit right in place of the 2.9 and even hook up to the exhaust Y pipe. Wiring is something you will need to be experienced in however as the entire ECM and most of the...
  14. jeepshop

Bronco2 Duraspark Conversion

Can't remember but I don't think we needed to. I do know that the carb is currently running on a '84 Ranger and has a 4.5 power valve, it runs great on the trail too.
  15. jeepshop

We used a 350 cfm carb from a large Ford V8, identified as "1.21" on the drivers side bowl, 2.8's love the bigger carb.
  16. jeepshop

3" rear eplorer springs needed

I am looking for a supplier of good durable 2.5 - 3" rear Explorer springs, anyone have any suggestions?
  17. jeepshop

It's the same as for a stock YJ spring. We can't use them because the rear mounts that I made using Ford hangers aren't deep enough and the outer part of the spring eye is larger than the JY factory spring. We didn't want to go through the hassle of remaking the mounts. If you started out with...
  18. jeepshop

How rare?

My son's has the rear opening glass, his is an '84. We "fixed" the front though with a Wrangler leaf sprung D30! BII's are like Jeeps, it doesn't matter how rare, it still isn't worth anything to a collector. That's why they make good projects for wheeling!
  19. jeepshop

Shipping shouldn't be much, they are very light weight. We paid over $400 for them, he'd take $300, not a rush though whenever you get the cash.
  20. jeepshop

I used rear 5 leaf, but as I mentioned they were not enough to support the heavy BII front end. I took another set of YJ springs and cut the main leaf eyes off, I kept it long enough to support the original main leaf under it's eye's. then also added a second "second" leaf under the second one...
  21. jeepshop

It was certainly a lot of work for sure, thanks for the praise!
  22. jeepshop

Springs work! Well Spring is finally here and we had a chance to go on a moderate trip. Daniel was home on leave and it was time to flex the rebuilt front spring pack. Here is a youtube video of the BII flexing, I think you'll agree that mission is accomplished! Daniel's BII is a minute or so...
  23. jeepshop

I've never heard of anyone running Duraspark with the A4LD auto trans, does your lockup work? If not you'll cook the trans in short order.
  24. jeepshop

2.8's any good

A 2.8 really wakes up with a 350 cfm motorcraft 2bbl carb, and a Schnieder cam. Run 2 1/4 exhaust from the cat back and she'll scream like never before. Also run a Duraspark distributer from a '70's Mustang II 2.8. I ran this setup in my son's before we swapped in an injected 2.9, it actually...
Back