Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Premium amp replacement with stock HU

Take it to a shop yet? Certainly an older post but I still didn't get my questions answered so, back into the fire we go... Is the premium amp in the quarter panel or under the back seat? Also, I ended up putting a Sanyo FXCD-550 combo tape/cd unit to replace the stock head, put JBL...
  2. B

Hole Melted in Vapor Management Valve VMV--TWICE!

The same thing has happened to my rig but the dealership can't seem to get a discontinued part. Anyone have an aftermarket source to share? TIA Nevermind, I found an AC Delco/Motorcraft specialization shop recommended by Napa, which suggested the 96 part CX1584 since the CX1583 had been...
  3. B

Where is the canister purge valve

Can anyone in the Portland, Oregon area recommend a salvage yard for this CANP part on a 1995 XLT? The stealership just charged me $50 to diagnose a hole in the part from an old battery leak but said the replacement part was no longer being made. Evidently this is the only year they have...
  4. B

pulling right side

Alignment Problem I have the same issue in that the rig still pulls to the right. I have replaced the front rotors and brakes recently, replaced the lower ball joints (with alignment) last month and the tires are new as of two months ago, all around. Each time I have asked the tire shop to...
  5. B

'95 OEM Radio / CD Player Replacement Options?

For a basic start, Crutchfield is your friend. Crutchfield You will need a wiring adapter, a radio bracket adapter, perhaps a removal tool and the new head unit.
  6. B

Thermostat

I agree with Mikeinri. T-stats are cheap and getting the right one is insurance. Some have the little 'key's inside the whole to prevent clogging. Be sure to check the temp. also. I think 190-95 degrees is preferred not 180 as you might find out there too. :thumbsup:
  7. B

Belt tensioner broke!! help!!

I had to have that done last year or so and it's a dealer job. They have a special too which sets the tensioner correctly. Tried to do it myself to no avail. The belt looks bad and after the tensioner is replaced, often the belt is stretched out anyway. They wanted another $50-60 to...
  8. B

1995 Radio Bezel Replacement

OK, to close out the thread: I finally found a 96 4x4 XLT bezel, which had the correct labels on the dials, at a junkyard for $27. I know, a bit high but I got all the buttons (for later replacements as needed) and even a cigarette lighter (which I didn't have before) too! Now, no more rattle...
  9. B

upgrading factory stereo

go to cardomain.com and looky at the choices, if you are electronically capable...the adapters would be essential and the time and budget are only those which stand in your way... :cool:
  10. B

Suggestions to replace factory speakers on 96XLT

I, myself, put some JBLs in the front at 70 watts RMS and a pair of Scosche 60 watt RMS replacements in recently and the difference is crystal. Both were 5x7/6x8 in size and bought on Ebay. I got the Scosche first because they were super cheap and the sound is comparable to a Polk/Pioneer...
  11. B

I am in the process of replacing the stock door speakers with jbl 5x7s but still think that the next thing to replace is the amp. Does a new amp need a new power wire if the wiring adapters are used both at the speaker wire input from the head unit as well as the output to the speakers? Any...
  12. B

all in one

Sanyo Head Unit Check out a recent thread on this topic: Sanyo Head Unit
  13. B

Sanyo Head Unit

This is the unit I installed recently: 550 It seems to work great and have decent power. I had the premium system and bought the scoche amp adapter which matched perfectly. The sound is poor with cassettes but the cd player and tuner work awesome! Now I am in the process of upgrading...
  14. B

Ok, thanks for the help guys. One last question, however: If I am able to find a bezel which has a different year than 1995-96 and up to 2001, do the labels behind the knobs come out or off and can they be interchanged with the correct ones from my damaged trim piece? I have found that...
  15. B

Thanks I will scope out Ebay a little more carefully now. The second dealer parts department mentioned that only 1995 and 1996 years would work for my rig, however. Ben :confused:
  16. B

Here's a question for the moderators or keenly experienced radio-heads for my 1995 XLT 4dr 4WD: I finally got around to upgrading the factory stereo tape to a cd player, nothing special, but noticed that the black radio trim unit has broken clips (the integrated plastic pieces which attach to...
  17. B

CEL, Codes, TPS

I wish I had a picture of the large socket with all the pins and the STO connector itself but have not been able to find the STI stand-alone plug in order to get the KOEO/R codes from the dash. There is a cover for the larger socket (where it's attached to the relay box) on the right hand...
  18. B

CEL, Codes, TPS

Mr. Shorty, is that the same answer for a 1995 model? ;)
  19. B

Let me know what you guys come up with! I have been ready to upgrade both the speakers and the amp myself. Honestly, I don't even know where the amp is, but know that the sound can be improved and it's degraded since having the vehicle since 1998.
  20. B

The popping's back!

I recently had an inner tie rod end replaced due to the 'popping' noise and discomfort going over bumps in the road. It cost $120 for the parts and alignment. Quiet as a sleeping baby now! :eek:
  21. B

Buying a hitch...any tips?

Tranny Cooler I have heard that tru-cool is a good brand. I am thinking of installing one on my Odyssey as the Exploder already came with one. :chug: Tru-Cool on Ebay
  22. B

Bad gass milage all of the sudden

Replaced the FPR recently...gas milage is back up to normal. I was running 170-210 miles to empty or 10-12 miles per gallon. Now back up to 16-18 mpg! At these gas prices, you got to do anything!!!
  23. B

OD LIGHT BLINKING

Try unhooking the battery (after the codes have been retrieved) for some time to reset the computer codes. Sometimes with a new driver or engine conditions upsets the transmission and it wants to complain (OD light) about it. You might check the condition of the fluid also and have it...
  24. B

Heater Problems

Search for threads under 'blower motor' and see if this sounds like the motor itself. The motor replacement is under $50 for the DIYer.
  25. B

Tune Up suggestions/tips

Both You're going to find that the wires are a bear to restring around the back end of the engine also. Take note of the looms and paths before dismantling. I would clean the MAF, the IAC, and also change the air filter if not recently done. Don't forget to disconnect the battery for 20...
Back