Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 Brake Lines and Hoses

I ordered the Dorman assemblies. Only way I could find the ones compatible with traction control (I confirmed on the Dorman site), and they're fully loaded with e-brake shoes and hardware installed. Ordered from RockAuto. Cheaper than local. Roughly the same price (on RA) as the AC Delco...
  2. M

As expected, this backing plate / dust shield is too far gone to save. I'm ordering assemblies to end this project. Will follow up when parts arrive. Thanks for the advice so far! Mike
  3. M

Thanks. That's good info about AC Delco. I really would just prefer the new ones. Out, in, done, no running around to shops. This is already taking way too long. But, another suggestion I've seen is to make a washer that would fit the space behind the existing shield, and run the new parking...
  4. M

Dealer service manager confirmed, this vintage needs to be separated (older ones could be removed by pulling the studs). Parts manager confirmed that Ford only sells a-la-carte parts for this job on this vehicle. Looking at AC Delco assemblies from RockAuto. They're listed as Standard...
  5. M

Unfortunately, these aren't cosmetic, the parking / emergency brake pads, springs, etc. mount to them. The Dormans are made for the later years in this generation, and don't say "Exc traction control" like most others do. Mike
  6. M

I can buy Dorman hub/knuckle assemblies locally, do you have an issue with Dorman quality? Mike
  7. M

I've re-read your suggestion about that cutout and removing the studs. I will measure the new one and see what sort of gap that leaves. There isn't a lot of space between the outer hub and knuckle, so I don't know if I can twist the shield enough to slip it off. If that does work, getting the...
  8. M

No, the hole in the shield is smaller than the diameter of the outer portion of the hub. The studs really aren't the issue. I looked at Moog (at the Moog site, and Advance Auto), and they only seem to build them for non-traction-control Explorers. Which seems odd, as I thought all 2005s came...
  9. M

Have you installed those before? The YouTube videos I've seen all say not to damage the shield, or you have to separate the hub. The videos showing the replacement also back that up. The indentation is there for the entry point for the parking brake lever arms, I played with it for a while...
  10. M

BTW, the bearings seem fine. The shield can't be replaced without separating the hub from the knuckle. Dorman makes a 2-piece replacement shield (cut off old shield, install new one easy peasy) for some vehicles, but apparently not this one. Do you know a source for a 2-piece replacement...
  11. M

I'm 90% on my way to getting tires back onto the rear, maybe changing out the front brakes, and towing it to a shop. I'm cheap, but I don't have enough free time to deal with this, especially if it gets super-extensive. The master cylinder is going to run dry, nothing I can do to stop that...
  12. M

Yes, but I just realized that the hub needs to be pulled, and I don't have the tools for that... EDIT: I can pull the hub, but it needs to be separated, that's where I'm lacking tools. I see that 1aAuto sells entire hub/knuckle assemblies, but they won't get here until the middle of next week...
  13. M

Left rear, continued... Caliper started leaking as soon as I compressed it to remove the old pads. Rotor was in three pieces. E-brake shoes were toast. Dust shield rotted through at shoe-holding pin location (or broke free when I removed the rotor). Note to self: Just buy those in...
  14. M

Thanks. Nothing is (currently) leaking, but the pads and rotors are shot. This supposedly had new brakes when I bought it around 50k miles ago (now has around 165k total). Definitely doing pads, rotors, and hardware, all 4 wheels (including parking brake pads and hardware). I believe the left...
  15. M

Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to crawl under and see that this does have the three fittings on the left rear hose, confirming that it's got traction control. The brake lines themselves (at least in the rear) look really good, I'm going to try to reuse them. Will post follow ups later...
  16. M

What are the standard brake line sizes for this truck? Front and rear: length, diameter, fitting and flare types? Also, does this have traction control? Seems to make a difference when ordering left rear brake hose. I've searched, no one seems to have answered this. I know, take it off and...
  17. M

Rusty Spare Tire Rim: Need Options

Thanks for the quick reply! Since this is a spare under the truck, I certainly don't care about looks, but if the clear is ruined, will that make the aluminum corrode to an unusable point? Mike
  18. M

Rusty Spare Tire Rim: Need Options

Got a flat today (hit something small and metal on the highway). AAA refused to use my spare because the driver said the rim is too rusty. I'm at the tire shop now, where they say it's actually OK (does me no good on the side of the road). I don't want to waste time with trying to salvage this...
  19. M

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Well, my luck ran out on the replacement blend door actuator that I did on my 2005 Explorer back in 2009 (documented way earlier in this thread!). Can't complain, I guess, the original part only lasted 4 years, the replacement (Ford) part lasted about 5.5... Has anyone sourced an actual...
  20. M

How fast would you be willing to tow with O/D off?

If you're on a flat highway, why does the OD need to be off? Mike
  21. M

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

I got 280,000 out of a 94 4.0 auto Explorer, so when I was being told to trade or junk this 04, I really wasn't able to compute that thought. Of course, had I known that I'd be spending $14k over 2-3 years on this high-mileage truck, I would have surely chosen differently. Mike
  22. M

2004 Blower Motor Resistor

It was my turn for this repair, I'd ignored it for a few years, not realizing how poorly it was running (strange what you get used to, I guess). Anyway, very simple repair. The part was right behind the glove box, with pretty easy access. Although the truck is 4WD, there was no module in there...
  23. M

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

I have a 2004 with the 4.0L. Took it to the dealership when the chatter started getting loud. The truck had around 175k and was otherwise in good shape (was due for maintenance items like tires, brakes, etc.). They told me to trade it in. I then went to a local shop for an estimate. I...
  24. M

Tranny Warnings and Price Question

What's the going rate for a new auto tranny to be installed in a 2004 Explorer? Warning: If your tranny develops symptoms like it's low on fluid (doesn't want to go into gear when cold, doesn't want to engage in first after coming to a stop), park the truck and get it towed. I have 200,000...
Back