Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

how to lift a 1992 ford explorer?

Make sure you do at least a shackle lift in the rear, so you aren't riding around nose high. The shackles are relatively inexpensive as well.
  2. J

New Tire Opinions Needed...

if youre doing tons of on road driving, i wouldnt go with the revos, had em, hated em. the traction was nice, they wear out wayyyyyyyyy too fast. go with something like a BFG A/T KO, nice tire, quiet, good treadwear. Of something more like a Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor. Even better tire.
  3. J

Tire Siping... Is it worth it?

had revos, the tread mileage sucks. kept my rig in perfect alignment, and they were worn to nothing in less than 20k. bought goodyear wrangler mt/r's and havent looked back since. I work at a tire place, and hear nothing but complaints about bridgestone tires. Exactly with type of driving...
  4. J

Headers

odd. mine only had the extra O2 fitting, no egr. oh well haha, didn't need it anyway thank goodness
  5. J

Headers

hell i like em. i took them to a machine shop and had the flanges milled down flat, costed like 20-30 dollars or something. the collector bolts kept backing loose, so i welded the nuts to the bolts, other then that they are doing fine. I couldn't really tell you how just the headers perform, i...
  6. J

Headers

welllllll i have hedmans on my rig, and they leaked until i took them to a machine shop and had the mounting flanges machined flat. their welds to the flanges suck, and thats why they leak. i run stock manifold gaskets on them, and after about 8k on them, they are holding up fine now :)
  7. J

New user question about adding larger tires

not at all, assuming you're putting the same size tires front and rear
  8. J

lockers on stock 91?

ford actually made their own version of the manual hub, i have them on one of my rigs. they seem to be holding up quite well, 207k on them and they havent broken yet :)
  9. J

4x4 lo question

lol then yeah, i was wrong, it is the first 3 forward gears lol, just no overdrive.
  10. J

4x4 lo question

see thats what im trying to change, the auto shifts just like normal, just first and second gear. its electronic somehow, the transfer case tells the computer you are in 4lo, so it only uses the first 2 gears, 4 hi does not do this.
  11. J

4x4 lo question

true, i'll just stick with real easy driving until the 4.56s and the locker come in
  12. J

4x4 lo question

well, ive already bought gears, and im just waiting on them and the locker to get here. it seems like its taking foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  13. J

4x4 lo question

at the moment, my truck has 33s and 3.27 gears. i am trying to not burn up my trans while waiting for my gears. thought if i could get the trans to shift through all the gears in 4 lo it would but LESS stress on the trans. keep in mind this will be 45mph or less around town
  14. J

4x4 lo question

so i have a 92 explorer, manual transfer case, manual hubs. ive noticed if i shift my transfer case into 4by lo, the transmission only shifts into 1st and 2nd gear, and nothing farther. is there any mod that anyone knows of to fool the computer into actually upshifting like normal through ALL...
  15. J

Solved Lifts and Max tire sizes

lemme add a lil, i managed to stuff 33x12.50s under my 92 X with about 1.5 inch of lift. 15x8 wheels, 4" backspace
  16. J

interesting lift news

did a lil research, with the stock tire and stock gear, i would effectively turn 2283 rpm at 80mph. the closest thing for a 33" tire that gets that same RPM at 80mph is a 3.90 gear. (2383rpm) odd. 3.90 seems a lil too high for that size tire though.
  17. J

interesting lift news

well for 12 bucks, they are a decent start, unless u already have some steel stock laying around :scratch:
  18. J

interesting lift news

coil seats i bought at the ford dealer, right at 40 for the pair. the cheap-o autozone shackles, are the same length as warriors, and can be beefed up fairly easily http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187201&highlight=f150 tbars had a great writeup on the f150 seats, use...
  19. J

interesting lift news

i've been driving it hella easy, but i was prepared to abuse it. the guy that built it for me beefed it right. extra kevlar clutches, triple wrapped bands, drilled valve body, bored out shift servos, all the works. it wont crap out any time soon i hope ::crosses fingers::
  20. J

interesting lift news

well im running an automatic so it might be a tad different. if i rarely drove at high speed (read 50 or above) 4.56s would be the choice. but i drive down basically a mini highway 5 miles to work and back every day
  21. J

interesting lift news

:D good. how much of a noticeable torque loss do you figure i might get if i go 4.10s? it cant be any worse than stock tires and 3.27s lol. just looking for the best fit
  22. J

interesting lift news

well most of my driving is in the city, but when i do drive highway, its at 70-80mph for extended periods. i can deal with the somewhat crap gas mileage on the highway, i just want plenty of low end torque
  23. J

interesting lift news

well, its going to be a lot of highway/road driving. about 80% road, 20 offroad. so 4.10s should be best? as long as it gets better than 11 mpg like its been getting :-p
  24. J

interesting lift news

:D hey what can i say, **** happens lol
  25. J

interesting lift news

4.56s it is :D if all else fails and its too low for my taste, i throw 100 dollars for a body lift and go 35s lol. finally a clearer set of pics :D
Back