Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. johnny499

1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

I forget which way to move the pinion to produce the desired change in the pattern. That pattern does look like it is driving too much to the outside and maybe not deep enough. It's a juggling act. More of a concern is the loose bearing on the carrier. the fun part will figuring out which is the...
  2. johnny499

Progress is always good.. Looking good... What ratio did you decide on?
  3. johnny499

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

Not sure if you drilled out the knuckles for the heim joints or if you used the tapered spacers.if you didn't drill them out then you should be able to use a tapered reamer from the top to do the 3/4 ball joint conversion. That is what i did to mine. I believe it is a seven degree taper, i was...
  4. johnny499

I really dig that!!! Great job!!! I just had mine out a few weeks ago to clean up and get rid some squeaks and rattles.
  5. johnny499

Looking great!!! Awesome find on the muffler. How loud is it? or just a mellow rumble? With the lift you have i would go 35's , I would sell the 3.73's and go with 4.88's just my two cents.:) I was originally going to do 33's until i went to buy the tires and saw the ridiculous price difference...
  6. johnny499

i know its a little late but i used a lower radiator hose from a 2000 v8. which does not have the oil cooler. looking good...
  7. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

Good eye.... That's my dad's '95 Powerstroke two wheel drive. My Cummins conversion is still sitting in the garage waiting for time, money, desire and a final decision on what way i want to go with the hurt transmission.
  8. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

I did build them myself, i will be getting some pictures up when i have some extra time. I will probably do a separate write up on it.
  9. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

It's a nice area down there and it's out of the rust belt, kinda jealous about that. This weekend i managed to program new key's to it using the Forscan software instead of paying the dealer over $100. It only came with one key and i will eventually be putting a remote start in it. I also...
  10. johnny499

Driver's power seat limited range of movement

Broken rivet on seat belt track. i will bet on it i have had 1 ranger and 1 mountaineer with the same problem. The rivet keeps the belt follower from binding on the plastic coated rail as i recall.
  11. johnny499

Very nice. Looks like you thought it out and made it happen. That should hold together for years...
  12. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

Thanks for the heads up. These were the first photos i have uploaded to the forum media. The pics showed in the post for me but i must have done that wrong. Can you see them now?
  13. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

It's been quite a while since i have had anything to post about the Mountaineer. It has recently had the a.c. dryer rust through, the muffler has blown out on the rear and obviously it was rusty when i bought it. Recent failures have put me on the path of looking for a nicer hopefully rust free...
  14. johnny499

Very cool!! Ive been slowly working on a similar solution for mine
  15. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

Wow!! That's incredible, Thank you so much for taking the time to do that.:chug: The tube bending software is Bend-Tech pro. As it turns out they are a local company. It has changed how i build things for sure.
  16. johnny499

This should be the correct schematic. older Fords use the 5 wire scenario. wires are in drivers kick and are supposed to be lock = pink/yellow unlock = pink/green It's been a few years since i did mine. the wires will be 14 awg or 12 awg
  17. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

I will try to get the pictures up soon. lot's of uploading to do. I think i have come up with a bit of a redneck solution to raising the front end for now. i was going to cut the spring pockets and lower them but the way i welded on the plate for the steering gear mount is going to make that...
  18. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

I don't know about the durability, my first one made it 40k for me and that was a junk yard take out with unknown mileage. Both of mine seem to have backlash which may be amplified by the trutrack in the rear end for me. It's nothing like my ranger was with the lockrite locker, that would...
  19. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

We made it back Monday. Tuesday i found a replacement BW4406 at the junk yard. Wednesday night I put it on the hoist and drained the fluid. I reached in through the drain hole and pulled large chunks of metal out of it so my diagnoses was confirmed. I got the old one pulled out that night and...
  20. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

Well the trip didn't go as planned, we made it just past Wall, S.D. when the noise we thought was the heat shield for the muffler turned into a whirring sound and then shortly after a growling sound and a nasty vibration in the transfer case shifter. We pulled into the next tiny town that had a...
  21. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

I had a blast up there and plan to go back now that the sliders are done. I will get the photos re-posted from another source one of these days. At the moment my time has been taken up by preparing for a varmint hunting trip to thunder basin national grasslands in Wyoming over Labor Day weekend...
  22. johnny499

Agreed with the odyssey batteries. Sears has their high end agm that is made by odyssey but does not have the same warranty and may not be manufactured to the same standards.
  23. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

The sliders are done but I have not decided how i want to host pictures going forward. The "Photosuckit" drama has hurt the worst on the 79 page thread i have on the restomod of my cummins powered f350......
  24. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

For now i left the ABS unit under the hood but plumbed the brake lines around it. I tried to wire around it with the speedometer correction module and it worked for the speedometer but the cruise wouldn't work. I plan to remove the pump portion and just leave the electronics module.
  25. johnny499

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

Thank you Photobucket for being so craptastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now i need to find another hosting service. Oh well i did manage to get the drivers side slider mocked up and then cut the mounting plates loose from the frame so i can add gussets, finish weld and paint all but the perimeter of the...
Back