Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

For Sale FS: 98 XLT 4WD

Hello Fellow Explorers, I am selling my beloved 98 XLT 4WD here on craigslist. It is a well loved if a put away wet vehicle with a transmission problem as noted in the ad. Please PM me if you have any comments about the price or any questions about the condition. It is located in Northern...
  2. D

5R55E interchange

I have a question about which transmission will work in my 98 Explorer 4.0 SOHC engine code E. According to the sticky thread there is one model trans, (CODE D 97-00) but there are later 5R55E's for the ranger and the Explorer sport trac 01-04. Which one would fit, work best and have the...
  3. D

How to: Ford Explorer PCM Power Procedure

Correction: edit code P1762 A shop dropped the pan and determined it is a broken band. No 2nd or 5th gear. I would really like to be able to find a work around to get through emissions inspection.
  4. D

How to: Ford Explorer PCM Power Procedure

my 98 Explorer is getting a code p1761 powertrain module. I think it is because 2nd and 5th gear band is broken in the transmission. Is there a way to get rid of this code so it will pass emissions without fixing the transmission? Correction: edit code P1762
  5. D

98 SOHC and P1762 trouble code

Does anyone have a recommendation for a remanufacturer? About how much should I budget for installation?
  6. D

Would replacement of the 2/5 band alone be advisable if the unit was rebuilt within the last 50k miles and has had regular fluid changes? And would a shop do this kind of repair?
  7. D

My transmission shop dropped the pan a while back and determined the band is broken. A rebuild or re manufactured is one option, however looking for suggestions on any less expensive options to repair it.
  8. D

Thanks for the info. Is the OD band adjustment on the exterior or does the pan have to be removed to access it? Also if I don't fix it will the CEL cause it to fail emission inspection?
  9. D

I forgot to update the thread. It was diagnosed as a broken 2/5 band in a 5r55E. Still limping along, it shifts from 1st to 3rd to 4th. It drives OK but I miss OD on the hiway The CEL is on, so is it running full rich or would the engine still be running normally? Any suggestions as to how...
  10. D

Hi, My 98 explorer XLT SOHC is throwing a P1762 trouble code and is not shifting into 4th (OD) but working fine in gears , 1, 2 and 3. How do I troubleshoot this to determine if it is an internal transmission problem (shift solenoid or bands, or ???) or an external wiring or electronics...
  11. D

DTC P1762 98 SOHC

thanks and I will post this there.
  12. D

Which tire pressure ?

30 PSI is 2.0 Bar/Kpa 36 PSI is 2.5 Bar/Kpa What do you run in your Gen 2 Explorer?
  13. D

DTC P1762 98 SOHC

Hi, My 98 explorer XLT SOHC is throwing a P1762 trouble code and is not shifting into 4th (OD) but working fine in gears , 1, 2 and 3. How do I troubleshoot this to determine if it is an internal transmission problem (shift solenoid or bands, or ???) or an external wiring or electronics...
  14. D

Temp gauge question

Awesome, thank you. Looks like a simple fix. From the way it looks, a piece of heater or vacuum line can be used and the rear pipe can just be removed since it doesn't connect to anything?
  15. D

Temp gauge question

/can it be found new?
  16. D

Temp gauge question

Can anyone tell me where to locate one of these, or how to make up a workaround? Dealer price is outrageous. 98 SOHC Idle AIr Control Vacuum Line
  17. D

Temp gauge question

What you said! Was in a hurry and couldn't wait on the aluminum part. So now after it lasted about two weeks, I am doing it over after the sensor threaded insert loosened up. SO I have ordered the aluminum housing. What other goodies should I replace while I am in there? All of that 20...
  18. D

Shock replacements

Thank you.
  19. D

Shock replacements

I do a little off roading and back street bouncing around. Are you referring to Monroe sensatrac?
  20. D

Shock replacements

Are any of the shock deals out there worth the effort? I see Monroe, KYB, TRQ and AM's out there for around $100 for a set of four. I have 15 yr old Billsteins currently and they are shot.
  21. D

Temp gauge question

Any opinions on the Dorman upgraded housing assembly Autozone sells?
  22. D

Temp gauge question

Thanks, this was very educational. Should I go with the metal replacement housing? Are there any hidden landmines if I go ahead and replace all of the cooling system hoses while I am in there?
  23. D

Temp gauge question

If I can figure out where it's located can you give me a clue on a 98 sohc motor thank you Edit is it the one right behind the thermostat housing? There's a small amount of leaking coolant there so that really makes me think that's what the problem is either electrical connection or otherwise
  24. D

Temp gauge question

Koda the gauge is reading up near the high point and comes down to about three quarters after running. I checked the coolant pipe by the thermostat with a infrared gauge and it's reading around 185. Would the most likely problem be the gauge or the sender? Or something else?
  25. D

Temp gauge question

98 Explorer. Engine is off but warmed up, should the temp gauge be in the warm position or should it go back down to cold when I turn the key off? My gauge is reading funny and I'm trying to determine if it's the gauge the sender the thermostat or what have we So if anyone can tell me how...
Back