Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Has anyone tried the GMB hubs from RockAuto? They're only $89 and the picture looks like the hub with the sensor and cable attached.
  2. G

Message Center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305241 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277733 Its not easy, the wiring for the buttons and such isnt there, it really isnt worth the work.
  3. G

Bad Vibration / Drone At Idle When In Gear

2003 / 4.0L / Auto / 4x4 / 130,x.. I tried searching but came up with nothing. This afternoon i started to notice a bad drone / vibration at idle in gear. I was cruising through a parking lot when it started. The vibration disappears as soon as the vehicle starts moving, and it doesnt do...
  4. G

2003 Ex 4.0/Auto Towing Recommendations

Ive been tent camping all my life, but as i get older ive found that sleeping on the ground (even on an air mattress) for 3-7 days takes its toll on my back. Theres also the lack of privacy and climate control issues. My inlaws just bought a travel trailer for this past memorial day...
  5. G

So replacing my class II with a class III/IV wouldnt help other then receiver size. And since i have 4X4 i would have to change front and rear diffs to 3.73 and add an oil cooler all to bump the towing capacity from 3500 to 5000 ish? That really doesnt seem worth all the work and expense...
  6. G

Is your 04 a V6 or a V8? Im just concerned that even with the higher capacity hitch my V6 will struggle and possibly damage the trans.
  7. G

2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4x4 4.0L Auto 89XXX I have a Class II factory hitch rated for 3500/350. I want to tow a travel trailer for camping and was wondering if theres a way to upgrade the hitch to a Class III/IV rated higher then 3500/350. Is the hitch my limiting factor in this or is it my...
  8. G

03 Explorer 4.0L V6 with "rythmic" engine clunking noise.

It sounds like the all too common blend door actuator failure. If it happens again turn the temp selector slowly and see if it stops. Mine died about 2 months ago and the first time it had issues it just clicked like that for a few min and then stopped. 2 weeks later it gave up the ghost and...
  9. G

Battery Light On - New Alternator, New Battery

Fixed! I finally got a chance to pop the second reman and the new battery in. Everything worked flawlessly, no battery light, strong charge gauge, no flickering or dimming. After talking again to the alt guy, it seems that the first battery had a short between two cells which had been...
  10. G

Well surprise surprise, the truck died again. My wife was driving it on black friday and it did the same thing it did before. Took the alternator to the shop that rebuilt it, turns out the reg was bad and the alt was only putting out 9.8v at < 50 amps. He installed a new regulator on the...
  11. G

My multimeter is at a friends house, so im gonna grab it when im there for thanksgiving. As soon as my wife gets home this after noon ill recheck all the fuses again, and check all the connections at the alternator and battery. Is there any chance this might be a persistent MIL due to the...
  12. G

2003 Explorer XLS 4.0L/Auto, 73xxx Miles The Explorer is my wifes car, so my original failure information is from her perspective: For the last month the battery light would come on randomly about once a week, usually for less then an hour. Last friday night the battery light came on and...
  13. G

OEM 3rd Gen Grill/Brush Guard

Thats why i was looking at it. I never intend on offroading. You cant lift the third gen, so whats the point. I saw that brush guard and i liked it for the asthetics. Its a genuine ford part, and most ford accessories are direct bolt on, no permanent modifications required. I would inquire...
  14. G

Swapping Mountaineer Gauges / Info Center

No one has any ideas? I had a thought: I noticed when i start my truck, the odometer screen lights up and it looks like it has all the spots for the temp, compass, all that stuff the info center needs. Im kinda wondering what makes the info center/non info center clusters different. Is...
  15. G

Swapping Mountaineer Gauges / Info Center

2003 Explorer XLS 4L / Auto 4X4 43,500 Miles I found a website that describes how to swap in the Mounty gauges, but i want to know how to make the info center work. I have an XLS, and it didnt come with an info center, or the buttons on the dash. So my questions are as follows: 1. How do...
  16. G

So is that well built. I only ask because usually brush guards usually run about 450.
  17. G

I found one on http://www.dealsofsteel.com. Its the three piece modular. It looks like a nice brush guard and its only 259 with free shipping. What do you think?
  18. G

Thats what i figured, i found one on ebay for 159.99. It looks real nice, but in the pictures you could see the mounts and bars behind the plastic piece, and they didnt look to substantial. I posted the picture below. Still, if anyone has any pictures of it, post em up, i kinda want to see it...
  19. G

Ive never actually seen an explorer with the OEM brush guard, but i have the picture from the ford accessories catalog. The angle is really bad, so i cant really tell if i like it or not. Does anyone have one, or has a better picture of one?
  20. G

Rear End Howl

2003 Explorer XLS 4.0L/Auto Auto 4x4 43,500 Miles I just bought this explorer about a week ago, and i just took it out on the freeway for the first time yesterday. I noticed from about 55 to 65mph there is a howl from the rear end. It starts at a very low freq and very quiet at 55 and...
Back