Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

How often does the Viscous coupling/chain fail on the AWD V8 trucks?

Yup first think I did was clean the vent tube. You're correct. Seal is fine. This was my first transfer case change and I wasn't aware the tail housing had fluid in it and seals to the transfer case. Case is in. Awd works properly and no leak yet. Just done a short test drive though. Highway...
  2. 1

Ok sending away. One more question. The seal inside the housing that sits against the trans. I guess the input shaft it would be called seems to be leaking. Is that easy to change from the outside of the case? It almost looks like I would have to pull the case apart to fix it.
  3. 1

Guy claimed 132k. Then said 120 something. So who knows. I didn't see the truck it came out of. I still plan on doing a 4406 swap but I need this thing back on the road and I couldn't pass up the deal for $30 lol
  4. 1

How about the chain? It feels pretty loose to me but I'm not sure how much play is normal. It's hard to tell how much is there but I can push the chain up against the guide and then it will drop about 3/4" from there.
  5. 1

Hey all. I just picked up a 4404 as a replacement locally but I don't have a good feeling about it. How much play should be in the chain? I stick my finger through the fill hole and the chain moves around a fair amount. Is this normal? Also should the front flange have any in and out play?
  6. 1

Need some 4406 Swap Help

Figures I just rebuilt my front shaft and had it balanced. But I do like this idea. At least I can reuse my universals and not buy an old rusty driveshaft. Thanks for the tip. This is the stuff I need! What rear shaft did you use?
  7. 1

Need some 4406 Swap Help

Now this is interesting. I have an early 96 with the front double cardon shaft. You're saying that will still work for me? Boy would that make me happy. What is this flange you're talking about?
  8. 1

Need some 4406 Swap Help

Sounds like the 4406 is the better route. Plus it's shift on the fly. Is everything I listed what I need or am I off on drive shaft year ranges or something?
  9. 1

Need some 4406 Swap Help

Has anyone ever swapped in a Bronco NP208 case? Seems like that might be an option and probably fit a lot better. My buddy has 3 of them laying in his garage.
  10. 1

Need some 4406 Swap Help

Ok guys, after fighting the past month or two trying to find a new transfer case for my 96 AWD 5.0, I'm thinking about just doing the 4406 swap. That said my eyes are about the pop out reading all these threads and finding contradicting information. So I'm hoping someone can confirm what is...
  11. 1

Yeah I've thought about that, but I just rebuilt both of my driveshafts and getting into cuttings holes in the floor, finding proper driveshafts etc. is probably just not worth it. Ironically though I have a 2000 f150 parts truck with a 4406 in it. But it has 453k miles so needs a rebuild I'm...
  12. 1

Speed sensor is in my tcase I believe. I don't think the newer cases work without some modifications. I also just rebuilt my double cardon front shaft so that would require a replacement front driveshaft, which would negate the cost of just rebuilding my current case. Plus I think the double...
  13. 1

1996 5.0L V8 transfer case with 4 hole front output shaft

Looking for one hopefully local to 08804 area in NJ. Has to be in good shape with lower miles. I'm not looking for a core, I already have one of those haha.
  14. 1

Hey all, short story is I think my transfer case is eating up a bearing, so I have to rebuild the case since I can't find one locally that's any good. Unlucky for me my truck is a 96, so it's almost impossible to find the 4 bolt front flange case. So... stuck with a rebuild. That said I was...
  15. 1

Gas blowing out filler neck when filling up... really need some help

Hi all, I really need some help on this one. My 96 V8 will not stop shooting gas out the filler neck when I fill up. The pump kicks off, but it always blows gas out all over the side of my truck and the ground (and the attendant if I forget to warn them). I have exhausted everything to my...
  16. 1

"Stop Leak" Coolant Additive. Which one?

K-Seal. It stays liquid in the system. Good stuff.
  17. 1

Tweecer Tuning my 96 SLL4... need some pointers

Looks like it's there. Guessing yours is a different strategy though as I think you have a 2000 if I remember correctly?
  18. 1

Tweecer Tuning my 96 SLL4... need some pointers

Hey all, I'm looking to play around with my 96 5.0 AWD a bit. I want to turn off the EVAP system to get rid of my check engine light (I'm sick of trying to fix this system and it's making my truck run rough). I also want to change some shift points and maybe stiffin up some shifts. Maybe change...
  19. 1

Superlift 4" Lift Leaf Springs?

I had this on my 99. Full super lift with the warrior shackles and TT. Ran 35x12.50's with some minor fender trimming. It was a monster and got the fuel economy of a tank, not to mention drove like a tank (felt every pebble I drove over). It was awesome. I miss that truck. I think a member here...
  20. 1

Chasing a Vibration... Really need some insight

Really? Interesting. I would think that would vibrate like crazy. But good info. Its odd because my drivers side is tight passenger not even close.
  21. 1

Rear driveshaft was swapped out with another used one I had with no change. Front one was professionally balanced with slight change but i still have a vibration. Both driveshafts were rebuilt with new joints and im wondering if a flange bent in the process. The front shaft is the double cardon...
  22. 1

Rear axle was totally rebuilt just recently. Front shaft is back in as I didn't want to burn up my transfer case. It could be the front axle bearings as the front diff was a junk yard special, but did only have 90k miles. I probably should have pulled the whole diff apart and rebuilt it looking...
  23. 1

Timkin wheel bearings, and as said above it's not tires, I replaced them with known good ones and still have the vibration. I take back what i said before though. I feel it slightly starting at 35mph and it only gets worse as speed increases. The pitch changes as I let off the gas too it seems...
  24. 1

No thoughts on the front CV? It's literally loose. I can move it up and down probably a good 1/8" maybe even 1/4". But I changed everything up there other than finding all new parts with perfectly tight splines. I also lowered the torsion bars to level out the CV's and that seemed to help ever...
Back