Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

EEC IV technician (high idle)

yeah, I think so, its been awhile. never really figured it out.. I'm pretty sure it was somehow related to TPS or wiring as dogfriend suggested. Know the feeling, nothing more frustrating then spending lots of time trying to diagnose, replace and repair with no success. Best of luck.
  2. L

Front Upper Ball Joints

What brand? I can get cheapos for ~$12 @ rockauto.. I was just comparing Moog. K80008 $32 rockauto $27 autopartstomorrow ~$45 local IDK, I hear MOOG quality has gone down, started making cheap rebrands and ect. Apparently they also changed design of K80008 from OEM to the spline version...
  3. L

Front Upper Ball Joints

Does this look legit Moog K80008 - $26.84 http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/parts/31971-upper-ball-joint Moog K8695T - $25.31 http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/parts/14732437-lower-ball-joint most places, RockAuto, Napa, O'rielly, Advance Auto, ect want ~$45 EDIT: Called, and the K80008 is...
  4. L

5R55W Fluid Fill

FYI, I leanred teh 5r55W does have a fill plug.. http://www.ratiotek.com/5r55w-complete.pdf page 7 remembered when I heard no dipstick, thinking what the heck, I guess pumping in from drain was the first DIY approach.
  5. L

High Pitch Sound From Engine

Cory, FYI... Without Tax Dollars: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2754587
  6. L

High Pitch Sound From Engine

always amazed by this site, good find guys. glad to see FordCustSrvc to pass along the wealth of info here, and the fact FORD: Built without your tax dollars.. (I need a sticker), hopefully they also listen to us :).. Now back to my 02 tranny :(
  7. L

Band adjustment helped for awhile, now acting up again (5r55w)

Same thing here, tried adjusting band to make sure it wasn't broke.. After 4-5 turns without any tension, I assumed it was broke. But it actaully did improve, not great, but 1-2 shifts and OD is back. So I'm guessing all the turns is overcompensation for worn servo. Now I'm looking at...
  8. L

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

thats what I was thinking, but how much turning for a worn band? How many turns is worn-out? After 4-5 turns and pretty much running all stud threads into locknut I just assumed it was broke and stopped, but obviously it wasn't, as I now have OD, and sloppy but better 1-2 shift. Maybe a...
  9. L

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Whats the average amount of adjustment at ~100K? Starting getting flashing OD light, 1-2 shift delay with light foot, and no OD over ~week. After some reading was convinced it was OD servo or band.. Decided to try adjusting OD band and make sure it wasn't broke. Stud had ~4-5 threads...
  10. L

Servo Bore or more - 5r55W experts??

Took it for a drive and its better, 2nd shifts better and OD engages :scratch: So its not broke :confused: Turned in atleast 4-5 turns with no tension, backed out ~1, and locked with ~1 thread above locknut... :confused:
  11. L

Well, I tried adjusting the OD band, I'm betting its broke... Stud had good 3-4 threads past locknut, locknut backed all the way back and not the slightest resistance, till lock nut bottoms, back off another 1/2-1 turn, nothing. wrench set to 120 in-lb. Taking to shop in morning..
  12. L

update servos

any feedback on those oring servos? Thinking about giving it a try, or fork over $1800-2200 to sleeve and rebuild. Going in for diagnoses in the morning, but I'm pretty confident its OD servo or band, flashing OD light, sloppy OD, 1-2 shift delay and now no OD @ 108K. They want to scan codes...
  13. L

servo bore fix?

He did a 21000 mile o-ring inspection,, sounds promising.. + improved install method and stiffer orings. http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/blog.html
  14. L

servo bore fix?

I was wondering same thing. From reading, I seem to have narrowed down my flashing OD light, 1-2 shift delay and no OD to OD servo/bore or band. Guess I'll try adjusting band to make sure it is not broke and then onto servo. Anyone have any real feedback? How long will these last? Or...
  15. L

Update: Drove around block this morning and there was some engine braking when starting from stop with shifter in 1. And when in D with very light foot, it did not shift from 1 till ~3200K, and not sure if it shifted to 2 or 3? Think my best hope at this point is to adjust OD band to confirm...
  16. L

02 (5r55W) with ~108K. since ~85-90K I notice some hesitation on 1-2 shift both up and down, occasionally when coming to stop I would notice a little 'bump', or seemed to start from stop in 2, and then down to 1 once accelerating. About 2 weeks ago, driving ~75 in OD, took ramp to change...
  17. L

My battery light is lit/gauge reads normal/engine cuts off!!

Any luck with cable replacement? Same thing just started happening to me. Starts strong, but battery light comes on and voltage gauge hovers around 10-11V.
  18. L

How many miles?

225,000+ 1991 - all original minus set of new heads fuel pump ball joints u-joints exhaust reg maintenance items
  19. L

Ford may be keeping the Ranger

SWEET.... I hear that is part of the plan, sell EURO models in US Never understood why other countries got such good looking 'US' vehicles. I'm sure EPA regs kill most of the coolness...
  20. L

Ball Joint - disassemble U-Joint

ON the Wheel Bearings? Sorry, should have specified 20ft-lbs on the bearings, instead of 15 in-lbs. Torqued pinched bolt to 40.ft-lbs
  21. L

I'm an idiot.... Spent half the morning at 2 AutoZones trying to get 4 wheel bearings, came home, lifted her up and wheel was tight.:scratch: So I drove it around block, got out and wheel was cambered out, thinking maybe it just had to work loose. Drove home and camber looked good again...
  22. L

New wheel bearings loosening quickly

OK, I'm an idiot, apparently I forgot to torque the upper pinch bolt and camber bushing was twisting.
  23. L

Thought my spindles looked good, no signs of wear or scorches. Just noticed the negative camber and loose bearings after replacing ball joints. Are these them? D35 Spindle Wow, $120.. Wonder what changed after 92.5?
  24. L

I'm having same issue... Tighten, drive it , loose, re-tighten, drive it, loose.... Just replaced ball joints and now this problem reveals itself. Like you , both spindles and bearings appear good. I'm a little confused on the pressed in bearings and 1/4" gap? If I remember back when I...
  25. L

That's what I was thinking, but I just replaced ball joints. Tightened bearing nut from 15 in-lbs to the next keyed postion (20 ft-lbs) and everything was tight, and camber looked good, moved it back and forth about 10-15 ft and still looked good. Sat over the weekend, moved it in/out of drive...
Back