Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Farewell Mr. Explorer.

It's been a fun time, but last week, I sent my Explorer down the road. The tranny was starting to get worse, and even though I had a good used one lined up, it still would have cost me nearly a grand to do it by the time I bought a new filter, fluid, etc. and I'd still have a 100,000+ mile...
  2. E

Help Tranny and spedo are eratic

My Durango had the same thing with the erratic speedo. Really wierd when the cruise is on and the speedo freaks out, the cruise will either accelerate or decelerate proportionate to what the speedo is reading.
  3. E

Help Tranny and spedo are eratic

Your output speed sensor is going bad. Not exactly sure where they're located on this tranny, but that's the sensor that drives the speedo, and without it can also cause erratic shifts/no shifts. Essentially it'll be in a "limp home" mode where it's stuck in one forward gear. Yours sounds...
  4. E

Do I already have a transmission cooler?

When they changed over to the throttle-by-wire system in '04, they also changed the design of the intake plenum a little, and there's no engine cover to speak of. Previously, I'd seen a cover of some sort that covered part of the plenum and the throttle cables/linkage at the throttle body.
  5. E

Mine has no electric fan to speak of.
  6. E

Warm Explorer Will Not Crank

So when the Jap car turns out to be a piece of junk too, and costs three times as much to repair, you'll be kicking yourself even more. Your no crank problem could be as simple as what I mentioned earlier, or it could just be a bad starter. Both of which are relatively inexpensive and easy...
  7. E

We see that at the dealership quite often, and I didn't believe it at first either. Thing is, when a battery pukes due to extreme heat, usually it's dead forever. They don't come back to life once they cool off. Two times a year we have a run on battery failures...The coldest days of...
  8. E

Ok, now things are getting wierd... You're saying your tranny cooler is right out in the open? Do you have a power steering cooler located where I described? Where in relation to the P/S cooler (if equipped) is the tranny cooler located? Edit: Wierder yet is my Mitchell collision book...
  9. E

4x4 Auto vs AWD

That's a great explanation of the Gen II Explorer's Control Trac system, but the Gen III gets even more complicated when in 4x4 Auto. They have a certain amount of "intelligent" or "predictive" action to them...For example, if you spin the tires in gravel when taking off out of a driveway and...
  10. E

Check the condition of the small wire going to the starter solenoid. Ford issued a TSB about this, and there was a weak terminal on the small side that would fatigue and sometimes break off completely. Easy fix, just solder or crimp on a new connector and you're done.
  11. E

Hmmm... I know on mine I have the Class III tow group (large reciever hitch) and my tranny cooler is where I described, between the radiator and condenser. Not visible from the outside or underneath. Once when I was looking for it I actually had to trace the lines from the tranny up to the...
  12. E

2002 mountaineer cyl 1 misfire (4.6l v8)

Injectors are pretty cheap for these. Even genuine Motorcraft ones right from the dealer. Otherwise, check www.rockauto.com for excellent prices on OEM and aftermarket brands.
  13. E

That one mounted on the lower crossmember isn't the tranny cooler...It's the power steering fluid cooler. You can't see the tranny cooler unless you remove that top shroud piece that I mentioned. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that didn't have the tranny cooler exposed to the...
  14. E

The heavy duty tranny coolers are standard if you have the towing package, which you've stated you do. Interestingly though, they're sandwiched between the A/C condenser and the radiator. If you pull the plastic cover off the top of the radiator and condensor (the piece with your emission...
  15. E

Audiophile radio RDS performance?

Wierd. Some stations that are over 100 miles away have fairly good RDS, but I remember once I was in the parking lot of a local station (had to claim my prize!) and the RDS still didn't work right.
  16. E

Front Brakes and Jacking

Welcome to the forum! I usually jack up one side at a time, on the each side on the frame just behind the front tire. Put your jackstand on the frame right near where you jacked. There's not a whole lot to brakes on these...Pretty straightforward. Pick up a Haynes manual from AutoZone...
  17. E

Hauling messy loads, trash, etc...

When I had to haul some greasy/dirty parts from the race car once, I just folded all the seats flat and laid a big tarp down to cover everything. Crude, but effective.
  18. E

Audiophile radio RDS performance?

I'm trying to figure out if this is a common problem in most Ford radios, or if my radio itself has a problem. On stations that have RDS streams (lines of data scrolling on your radio's display) mine rarely works well. Most the time it just displays some nonsensical broken message that...
  19. E

Need Help no time for trial and error

I personally wouldn't bother with a rebuild. I've seen more failures with trannies (especially these) that have been rebuilt than I have with low-mileage "unmolested" used ones bought from a reputable salvage yard. Mine is doing exactly the same thing yours is...So far, I've just been...
  20. E

With all the performance parts out there for the 4.6L Mustang, it probably wouldn't be too hard to retro-fit an aftermarket aluminum intake onto your engine. Take a peek at Summit Racing or Jeg's for a couple good sources. Not only would you get a better quality piece, you'd also reap the...
  21. E

Could just be the gasket. I'm trying to visualize the 4.6 upper end in my head since I don't have any here to look at...I'd pressure test the cooling system and see where that gets you. I can't think of anything that would cause coolant to fill up a spark plug well right off the top of my...
  22. E

Who here has a flex-fuel Explorer?

I think earlier in this thread I linked to the E85 cost savings calculator. The savings is huge for me...Right now, gasoline is $4.059 and E85 is $2.899 per gallon.
  23. E

And keep OPEC and Big Oil happy. :thumbdwn: Every vehicle is different...Some have more precise tuning when operating on E85, others do not. The Chevy 5.3L in the Tahoe, Silverado, etc. has very little MPG loss, other vehicles take a major nosedive. It's the PCM's tuning more than the fuel...
  24. E

Plugs are pretty easy on these. Just remove each cylinder's coil, and remove the plug underneath. Be sure to use Autolite or Motorcraft plugs for best results. Other brands tend not to work well. You're probably right about the #1 coil. I'd have one on hand just in case. Try the plugs...
  25. E

Those MPG numbers are about on with what I get using E85. Interestingly, the mileage you say you get is exactly what the EPA ratings on the window sticker are. The 4.0 "E" engine (non-FFV) seems to get better MPG on gasoline than the "K" engine. I'm sure it's because it's more optomized...
Back