Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Checking My Oil on the 4.6

Thanks guys! I've never had my truck into a mechanic for an oil change, but I also didn't buy this thing new. For the price, I think it's worth just buying a new one and going from there. Always makes me feel uneasy. Thanks!
  2. B

Checking My Oil on the 4.6

Hi All, I know this is silly but need to post this once and for all: Has anyone else had a difficult time checking their oil level on the 4.6L from the 4th Generation? I know it takes 6 quarts when draining and swapping the filter, but even after letting everything drain for 20 minutes or so...
  3. B

Looking to Upgrade a 4th Gen Head Unit

Hi All, I've searched the forums a bit here for "Android" and surprised there aren't that many threads about a cheap Android swap. So figure I'll ask as the models available are growing each day. First, regardless of Head Unit, what size is the 4th Generation? I'm using Crutchfield as a...
  4. B

Rear Wheel Bearing: Assembly Substitute?

Hi All, My driver's side rear wheel hub sounds terrible. I'm convince the only thing holding it together is the buildup from years of dirt and grime. I want to take this job on myself, but I see you need a metal press to separate the bearing from the hub. So my question is this: is there...
  5. B

Differential refill capacity

Thank you! It was that bolt from the 3rd Gen. It still didn't want to take all of it, but much more confident now. And I broke the fill bolt, but thinking it would be at level , didn't take it out until I popped the drain bolt to keep things a little tidy when removing the drain bolt...
  6. B

Super scared to drive the truck now so I took the day off. Definitely no ABS or speed sensor on the differential but I think I feel a 10mm bolt on the top of the housing. Turning UT is proving frustrating , but is that the final refill spot? Just wondering why to even bother with the...
  7. B

Thank you! That really explains it. But now I'm at a total loss on the speed sensor location. I was just under the truck and felt all around the top of the differential but for the life of me, can't locate any wires or bolts.
  8. B

Transmission fluid

Exactly ! Those back two seem susceptible to rain and debris. If they're that bad, hopefully they throw a code since cylinders 1 & 2 are always firing. Could be nothing or even the plugs blah blah blah , but it won't cost a thing and should hopefully take no more than 10 minutes .
  9. B

Transmission fluid

Just a quick thought: could you swap the 7th and 8th coils with the first and second?
  10. B

Hi all Just drained my rear differential and measured almost exactly 56oz. Reinstalled the drain bolt and pumped some new fluid and it came pouring back out at approximately 48oz. I did this on a level surface and the pump hose was in just a 1/4". Is there something I'm missing here?
  11. B

Transmission fluid

Too much fluid definitely could cause the transmission to slip, but it sounds like yours is hesitating, (maybe too little fluid). Stupid suggestion but definitely can't hurt: could you reset the PCM to get a baseline? Then, using torque, see if your symptoms appear when you're at a certain...
  12. B

2007 Explorer XLT V-8

I have the 2006 v8 and suffered the leaking radiator. Not sure if that smoothed out in 07. Agree on the exhaust leak. And wheel hubs seem to break down a little early (fronts aren't bad but rear is $). Spark plugs were a pita first go round but very easy the second time. Overall, the truck...
  13. B

Rear Differential Drain Bolt Access

Thank you! If you don't mind, what breaker bar fit? I saw one on Amazon but I'm scared I'll run into the same issue and throw more money away.
  14. B

Transmission fluid

Any cardboard lying around? When I did my radiator , I had a small leak by the cooling lines. If your pan was leaking for 12k miles, I'd imagine more loss but I could be off there.
  15. B

Transmission fluid

I wish I could help gauge the missing capacity , but on a larger scale, when was your last change?
  16. B

Rear Differential Drain Bolt Access

Hi Guys, I'm trying to flush basically all the fluids in my 06 and thanks to you all, have had a good bit of luck - while encountering a million stupid obstacles. Well, I have a new one: Rear Differential Drain Bolt. I know it's a 3/4" so I picked up a 1/2" -> 3/4" adapter. No way I'm...
  17. B

Erratic Radiator Fan Speed

I wish I could help, but just to add my experience, mine did that when the AC was on, the car was running at full temp for maybe 15 minutes, and I came to a stop light. When the light turned green, sounded like a jet engine. I replaced the [leaking] radiator, fan clutch, radiator hoses, and...
  18. B

2007 Explorer XLT ABS ISSUE, DESPERATE!!

Good luck! Hopefully it's not a rear hub and something much simpler.
  19. B

2010 Explorer EB 4x2 4.0L Transmission Fluid Change

Thanks Ant! I thought the capacity was like 7.5qt with a pan/filter drop. I'm literally in the middle of doing it now and trying to catch/measure all the fluid. Two more things: The stupid O ring. Mine stayed in. No biggie, right? Well it's not coming out as one piece. When I tried using...
  20. B

2010 Explorer EB 4x2 4.0L Transmission Fluid Change

Not to threadjack here, but you guys doing it yourself, when do you stop pumping new fluid? From what I've seen, you're supposed to have the car in neutral with the tranny fluid warmed up. Is there another option?
  21. B

Transfer Case Fluid Change: A bit of clarrification

Hi All, First - THANK YOU! I went ahead and picked up 2 quarts of XL12 transfer case fluid and one of those pumps. Does anyone know the capacity on this thing? I thought it was under 2 quarts but one YouTube said "2 quarts". Not sure if that was a F-150 in the video or not. Duh! I just...
  22. B

2007 Explorer XLT ABS ISSUE, DESPERATE!!

Mine experiences the same thing in the left rear. I use Torque Pro and watch that wheel throw a random false speeds. Probably not a coincidence the hub is bad on that so I'm assuming that's the real culprit.
  23. B

Thanks Eddy! That sounds super doable. Adding it to my list now. Do you mind if I ask what tools are needed? I only have 1/2" drive and I think I need a 3/4" expander for the rear differential. And is there any need to put some sort of RV sealant on the plugs? Thanks again!
  24. B

Anyone got any loose change? Front End Noise...

Thank you guys! I look into that this weekend. I'm praying this is an easy fix :dunno:
  25. B

Hi All, I'm looking to change my rear and front differentials this weekend. In addition, I'm tackling the transmission with a new filter and all as well. I don't think anything has ever been done and I just hit 100k. But what's the deal with the transfer case? Laugh if you will, but I never...
Back