Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Saying goodbye to my 03 XLT

Well, got the Envoy I was looking at. As I mentioned, its the Denali package with all the bells and whistles with the 5.3 V8. It has the tow package, and all kinds of goodies including adjustable air ride, heated leather seats and mirrors for those cold New England winters, built in Navigation...
  2. D

Saying goodbye to my 03 XLT

After going through the process of timing chain repairs on my 03 XLT once it was done and back to together about 2 weeks later started making way too much noise. After another trip back to the mechanic, turned out the tensioner wasn't getting enough oil pressure even though the pressure to the...
  3. D

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Just checked on mine and the pictures are all there. Takes some time to load them but that's probably my slow PC
  4. D

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Add my thanks to Big Rondo and all who posted to this fix Just wanted to add my gratitude for this sticky. Just finished the job a few minutes ago. Was a lot more maneuvering than I originally expected but it was worth it. Paid $90 for the part from the dealer, and about 2 hours work and its...
  5. D

Rear Camera- Can it be turned on all the time?

I did this with an aftermarket wireless unit on my old 94 EX (was totaled a couple years ago). The one I used had a separate video monitor so I'm not sure if that would make a difference with an integrated one. The camera was spliced into the reverse light so would be powered when put in...
  6. D

green plug under dash?

Not really sure, and I'm sure someone that actually knows will chime in, but my first thought is if you have the tow package it might be for a brake controller.
  7. D

Please help! Question about 2003 ignition key/door lock

Congrats on your purchase, hopefully you will enjoy many trouble free miles with it. I'm assuming the extra keys you received do not have the chip in them which will allow you to use it on the doors but not start the vehicle. If this is the case and you only have one key with the chip you will...
  8. D

HELP! Strange Electrical Symptoms!!!

I had a similar issue a couple years ago, and after new battery within a few days it returned. turned out to be a bad alternator so after replacing hasn't given me a problem since.
  9. D

Wood trim around front and back doors

I had the same issue with the trim on my drivers side door over a year ago. I was worried that I would catch on it one time getting in or out and that would be it either tearing it off completely or breaking it. I used some Gorilla Glue that I happened to have lying around. Squeezed it behind...
  10. D

2002 XLT intermittent starting issues

On my old ex (a 94) I had the exact same issue. It turned out to be the fuel pump relay as was noted in a post above. If I remember right the part was around $10-15 from Ford and never had the issue again. Might be worth a few bucks to try first before you tear into the fuel pump. The way we...
  11. D

2003 Explorer 4.0 engine noise under load

Sounds like the issue I have just gone through (also an 03 4.0). At first I thought the same thing, and went from stem to stern looking for something loose that might account for the rattle and found nothing. At idle it was relatively quiet, and once I got up to speed without giving it any more...
  12. D

Building a trailer

Lots of good ideas and plans on another forum I frequent at http://www.tnttt.com/ Its all about building teardrop and tiny travel trailers. Lots of sources for materials as well as making them safe and legal to tow.
  13. D

Help Help .. doors locked while the key in the car

Hate to break it to you, but the tennis ball trick, is just that a trick and does not actually work. I've been a locksmith for over 35 years and its been written up a few times in the trade mags. Also Ford uses a rigid cam on the back of the lock, which means no slim jim without very likely...
  14. D

4.0 vs 4.6

I have to agree with the rest. I have the '03 with the 4.0 and wish I had kept looking around for the V8. Overall I'm very happy with mine but the extra power and torque, especially when I want to tow would definitely be welcome, and as has been said the differences in mpg is negligible.
  15. D

key will start expl. but won't open door lock ??

Could be as simple as a stuck tumbler. Try lubricating the lock (a little WD40) sprayed into the keyhole. Then work the key in and out a couple of times to distribute the lube. If this dosen't work you might have to pull the lock and take it to a locksmith to be re-built. Its not too expensive...
  16. D

Gas Needle

I wouldn't think it would be a safety issue (unless you find a large puddle of gas under the truck, say about a half tanks worth). Just keep an eye on your mileage if the gauge dosen't move from the half tank mark so you don't run out of gas somewhere. As long as you know roughly what mileage...
  17. D

Key Code

Other than on that original tag (that most people lose almost immediately) the codes are not located on the vehicle anywhere. It is still new enough that you can have a mechanic, body shop or locksmith call the dealer with the VIN# and they can get you the code that way (unless you know someone...
  18. D

How to tell if it has a tow package

Glad I could help. I like my steak medium rare :)
  19. D

04' Explorer center console

Hey Big Rondo, read your write up for the blend door, great job. I'm curious, in figure 1d in removing the center console, you show wiring going to a blank plate under the rubber mat. Was that a live lead? I was looking for something to tap into for power to a switch for my under dash LED...
  20. D

How to tell if it has a tow package

Eric123, before getting my '03 I had a '94 w/o tow package and on the drivers side in the rear area there was an access door (I believe the jack was also stored there) with a wiring harness with a plug that I had a T connector plugged into for the trailer wiring. I got the connector from...
  21. D

non-working buttons on dash

Mine is also removable. Slipping a thin knife into the edge it popped right out. Bought a couple of different style switches to see what would fit and look best. The one I like best a round rocker switch is a little too big, it would fit but just barely and I think it wouldn't look right, but...
  22. D

non-working buttons on dash

I have an 03 Ex 4.0 4X4 and on the dash to the left of the stereo is the 4X4 buttons (4auto - 4High - 4Low) and to the right are identical "dummy" buttons. I am wondering what, if anything others have done with these. I hate looking at them and knowing they serve no useful purpose other than...
  23. D

light switches

I don't have the link handy, but I remember reading a post of a guy who built a fiberglass switch pod into his center console that was truly awesome. I believe the thread is in the "audio navigation" forum (the majority of the switches were for the sound system). I didn't do a switch yet, but I...
  24. D

Funny? Tranny question

Well, after a few days of driving with no issues, had to head out of town for a job today, and after about 10 miles, had the same issue. Would rev with no power, I'd downshift into 3rd and it seemed to smooth out, then back into drive and after a few minutes same thing. Didn't want to risk it so...
  25. D

Funny? Tranny question

Thanks for the reply, the mechanic said the same thing, that he's seen problems happen once for no reason then never happen again making them almost impossible to diagnose. I'm taking it in in another couple weeks for an oil change so while its up on the lift I'll have him check the connections...
Back