Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

2001 Explorer Slips in D and R

Yes it's the 5pd, and thanks for the advice. At this point I'm worried about taking it to get flushed/filtered etc and it's something I've never done myself. Definitely accept full responsibility for what has happened but now I got to figure out what can be done. Thanks again! :salute:
  2. E

2001 Explorer Slips in D and R

Hello folks, My 2001 explorer XLT, 169k for the last month or so was slipping every so often when cold in drive (usually when starting out at low speeds accelerating). The other day I went out to drive it and both when in D and in R the it doesn't want to go. If I rev the engine up it will...
  3. E

The Quest for 200k

Oh and I also drilled out the rear window glass hinges so they would stop pulling themselves out periodically and replaced them with just a standard bolt/nut system that has worked for about a year now (which was much better than the standard over engineered way was working).
  4. E

The Quest for 200k

Wasn't the cam tensioner part of the Ford Recall 00M12? If so I wouldn't know if it was ever fixed as that was way before I bought it, but I would assume it would have been. Any way to check if it was fixed during the recall?
  5. E

The Quest for 200k

I have not checked the level, and I'm not really sure of how to do that either. A friend of mine just had his rear lock up on him at 35mph which is why I'm thinking about that specifically. As for the K&N I was going off of their recommendations of no change for 100k then the oiling kit.
  6. E

The Quest for 200k

I bought my 2001 4.0 Explorer XLT in 2007 with 54 thousand miles on it. Currently I have 158k and I'm trying to make it last till at least 200k. I'm wondering at about this time what I should be looking into getting done in order to make it last as long as possible. Here's a list of what has...
  7. E

Another potential wheel bearing question (vibration)

Well as usual, you all are amazing. Just switching the passenger side one I took off a little bit ago and putting it on the driver side solved the issue. Now tomorrow I will go get the new Timken and put it on the driver side and we will hopefully be good to go for a while! Thanks again all...
  8. E

On Thursday I'll be popping the other wheel hub off and see what happens! Thanks again! :salute:
  9. E

Point taken :) I assumed that by taking the weight off the right side (when turning hard to the right) there was less pressure on the bearing which would cause it to stop the sound. I also assumed that since it only did it when turning right that it would be one of the sides (I assumed right...
  10. E

It just seemed like if the sound would be going away only when turning hard to the right (no change when turning left, hard or not) that it would be the right wheel bearing. I do still have the old wheel bearing (which didn't seem too bad) so I can try switching the left one as well. Any...
  11. E

Sorry to bring this back up BUT... I just replaced the front right wheel hub/bearing (with a timken, following the EXCELLENT stickied thread) and the noise is still there. Definitely coming from the front of the truck, again it does get completely quiet when turning to the right fairly hard at...
  12. E

Thanks a lot! I'm really not looking at spending too much on it though, its got a lot of miles on it, so I might go the cheap route (raybestos). Even in a best case scenario I don't think I would be willing to fix the bearings again after even 40k miles so if they do fail in the future that...
  13. E

Thanks! Everything else sounds to be leading towards a wheel bearing and not something else correct?
  14. E

Hello all, So as I'm reading through the posts regarding wheel bearing issues I'm not seeing anyone who has my specific problem. When I drive my 2001 XLT 152k miles, even at slow speeds I have a pretty bad vibration accompanied with what I would call the "Oversized tire sound" that only...
  15. E

Rear Defrost Window Glass Connector

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it a lot! :salute:
  16. E

Rear Defrost Window Glass Connector

Now I've really done it. While replacing the hinges for the back window glass (one just randomly came loose and fell while driving!) I attempted to pull a little too hard on one of the copper connectors to one side of the rear defrost and broke the piece off. Now the wire connector for that...
  17. E

Yet another liftgate lock thread...

Alright I figured it out (when I went to the junkyard to get a new actuator). The piece that sticks down needs to go INSIDE the yellow piece that mounts onto the rod. So if anyone else is dense about this, there's your answer. Thanks a lot! :salute:
  18. E

Yet another liftgate lock thread...

Sorry guys I've read through about 15 liftgate threads on here trying to find what I'm looking for and I can't find it. While fixing the liftgate latch which had seized I was trying to diagnose the problem and removed the liftgate lock from the back of my 2001 XLT. After I put everything back...
  19. E

125 PSI in low side port and hot air from AC

Well going on a hunch I played with the wires again while the car was running and, bingo the compressor came on but for only a second with some sparks near the plug for the compressor clutch. So upon closer inspection one of the wires had somehow been cut and so a electric connector and some...
  20. E

Ok checked with the voltmeter on both the connector and the input and I didn't get any reading (although I don't know if I was doing it correctly, there's not too much way of seeing at night with a flashlight). Any ideas on the next step? Thank you all so much for all this info you guys are...
  21. E

So randomly yesterday it did come on for almost all day after playing with the two connectors (I didn't actually get them off), and I tested the pressure and it was right in the middle of full level (around 38psi). Today it was off again and the clutch was not turning. So it would seem that the...
  22. E

Yea checked the fuses both in the box in the engine (mini fuse position 1) and the cabin (fuse position 10). As far as checking the wire in this picture http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/garthfan0523/compressorlowerboltswithtext.jpg would it be the one on the left or the one on the...
  23. E

Ok so once again I ask how do I check that? Thanks!
  24. E

From the best I can tell the compressor is not running. Nothing is turning but the pulley on the top, nothing from the front is spinning. For instancehttp://www.ford-compressors.co.uk/Pics/14-4440.jpg in that picture the triangle looking thing is not spinning. I'm guessing im just leery about...
  25. E

How can you tell if the compressor clutch is turning? Is there anyway that if I just added some refrigerant that it would work? What would be the big issue if it were to be over filled? I tested it again after having it sitting for a few hours and at startup it was at 100psi but I still can't...
Back