Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Advance Auto Parts Discount Code: Save a few bucks.

I used (last week) the P20 coupon code for online orders. 20% off all orders - saved $100 on a $500 order and got shipping for free!
  2. G

Remote Turbo & Oil Filter Relocation - a bit long - sorry.

Thank you for the input - this is very helpful to me. I was planning on putting the filter(s) before the turbo. The return line would be free of obstruction. The proposed sequence would be as follows: 1. Oil bypass adapter replacing oil filter at the engine block 2. Oil feed line from...
  3. G

Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can cook up with an oil cooler solution. I took a peek at Ford Racing's differential cooler costs - and I almost yacked at the $1,300 price tag. As to the heavy acceleration load point - the oil feed lines would theoretically be pushing oil back to the...
  4. G

OK, so now I've got the mod bug for the '97 Mounty. While I am considering a remote turbo install for the Mounty (and that comes with about 20 years of painful Saab turbo experience), I do have one question. I did a search on this one, but didn't find anything concrete: Are there any...
  5. G

Which Injectors? 97 5.0 Mounty

Rocket - Sorry, but I made a deal on a local set with new pintle caps, o-rings, fuel baskets, and spacers. They were nicely cleaned. Price was $40 and a six-pack of golden beverage (of which, I had 3 with the seller after the transaction).
  6. G

Jon and Rocket - thank you for your help and guidance. Rocket - I've got a lead on a local set of injectors. If that doesn't work out, then I'll be contacting you if that is OK.
  7. G

I did a leak down test on both the #6 and #5, which came out at 9% and 8% each. If 10% is fair, then both of these cylinders check out OK.
  8. G

The plugs and wires have shown to be good. The #6 plug was a bit lighter/almost white (probably indicating a lean condition) where the other plugs had than nice tan color (just like they're supposed to be). I'll try to get the leak down test done this weekend on #6 just to check to rule in or...
  9. G

I'm sure I have 19lb injectors in now. Based on the forum searches, there are references to both the fat and pencil-shaped injectors as replacements. While I can't "use" the wrong injectors because the connectors are different (EV1 connector is what I need -- and NOT the EV6 connector) and I...
  10. G

The P0306 and P0305 are misfires associated with Cyl #6 and #5, respectively. The P0306 code fires each and every time the PCM is cleared where the P0305 appears intermittantly (sp?).
  11. G

Camshaft Position Sensor Testing

Here's how I checked the cam position sensor on my 97 5.0 Mounty, which may very well be different than your needs... I disconnected the sensor, moved the ignition to KOEO, used a voltmeter and got 10.5 volts between the sensor connector and the ground - so this check out OK, but maybe a...
  12. G

OK, tonight I checked the cam position sensor by disconnecting the sensor, moved the ignition to KOEO, used a voltmeter and got 10.5 volts between the sensor connector and the ground - so this check out OK, but maybe a little week. I then depressurized the fuel system, set the voltmeter on...
  13. G

Camshaft Position Sensor Testing

I'm doing a test on my 97 5.0 tonight and I'll do a write-up of later on. Now, if you just are testing the sensor, the test is pretty simple and straight forward (things like KOEO measures). However, if you need to verify TDC and cam drive alignment - then that can be much more involved, such...
  14. G

OK, I took a half day off from work to tackle this gremlin. I cleared the PCM and swapped the coil packs - the P0306 code threw again, but no P0305 (which isn't that unusual as it's an intermittant code). So, the code did not move with the coil packs. I cleared the PCM again, swapped...
  15. G

Yes, this does make sense. Thank you. The codes being thrown are P0306 consistantly and P0305 periodically. This is based on clearing the PCM multiple times, going for drives, seeing the fresh CELs, and reading the codes. Since I don't have the speedo hooked up to the transfer case, I also...
  16. G

And I replaced the PCV, did the seafoam treatment, and ran about a gallon of Techron through the fuel system in the past month. Any ideas as to what are the correct injectors given the conflicting information at the start of the message thread?
  17. G

Oh, and I forgot to add that I've replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure - all's good there.
  18. G

Ey Carumba!!! I'm throwing a couple of P0300-series codes and probably need to change my injectors, which have 164k miles on them. I'd prefer to buy a new set of 8 and be done with it, rather than replacing a couple of injectors and waiting for the next failure. I've done the maintenance of...
  19. G

Hello from Midlothian, VA - 4404 Problems

I'd sell it for $3,500 as it sits -- $4,500 after repairs -- willing to negotiate some... White with gray (or is it grey?) 2-tone, gray/grey leather, rust free southern car, wrap around grill guard, virtually new tires (265/75) on factory tear-drop wheels, 1 y.o. radiator and alternator...
  20. G

Hello from Midlothian, VA - 4404 Problems

Good Afternoon! I've just landed here -- seems to be a nice place. My daughter's 1997 Mountaineer AWD is having classic trouble with the Borg-Warner 4404 Transfer unit -- a loud popping on acceleration & now doing it on turns and on deceleration. I'll take a look at some of the forums...
Back