Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

5r55s flares in 3rd after rebuild

Well it wasn't the valve body gasket. I did find the problem though. I disassembled the solenoid b since that was the code I had and found it full of what I think was loctite. Who ever "remanned" it most have gotten carried away with it. After cleaning and reinstalling the solenoid pack it now...
  2. P

I removed the valve body and did the air test again. The servos engage properly and hold until i let the air bleed off. I did find however that one of the valve body gaskets was wrong, the kit came with 4. Two are for 2002-2008 and two were for 2009-up. I matched up the holes with the plate and...
  3. P

I need some help. I just finished rebuilding my 2004 explorer's 5r55s transmission and installing it. It shifts fine from 1st to 2nd but will flare on the 2-3 shift until you let off the gas. If i put it in manual 3rd it is full on until you shift back out of 3rd. The bands have been...
  4. P

mig or arc welder? need help

mig welders are great for sheet metal and up to 1/4 inch or so with single pass. You can do thicker with multiple passes. Clean welds when using gas and they often look pretty, but a pretty weld can fool you into thinking you have good penetration when you don't. You can weld aluminum with...
  5. P

95 explorer questions

I am getting 14-17 as well and it runs like a top at almost 300k. Maintain the vehicle and it will serve you well. On a side note I bought mine with a bad trans and had to rebuild it right off the bat, so keep the tranny fluid changed regularly.
  6. P

Body Swap 97 mountaineer with 95 explorer

Well guys the swap is complete and the truck is drivable again. My props to ford, the wiring was a straight swap in and the 4wd transfer case has a small pigtail harness that the wiring was already there in the mountaineer. Plug and play. Only problem I am having is the mountaineer, even...
  7. P

how do you remove alternator pulley?

I always just zip them off and on with the impact. I never have looked up torque specs on them. Just get it tight and don't over do it you will be fine. They usually have a lock washer to keep the nut tight.
  8. P

'92 Ex - Major Rust Repair Underway

looks like your on the right track, looks good. I had the same rust damage on my 95, I cheated and took the easy way out with a new body. Keep going looks good so far.
  9. P

Engine swapped over last night with little trouble. I have a valve cover leak that will be fixed in short order but decided to leave things alone otherwise. If something happens down the road I will just 5.0 the thing and keep on going. I am saving the 5.0 harness and injection and have...
  10. P

Wiring is swapped, I found that the dash and underhood harness allowed me to have the automatic climate control and it powered the sunroof just fine and the auto lights from the mountaineer work without any problems. I did find however that the turn signal switch from the mountaineer did not...
  11. P

97 has 174000 on it, but I bought it less motor trans and transfer case. The body on the ford would cost more then a good used car by the time I replaced all the rust and repainted. I am only doing this because I picked the body up for $300 and it has a clean title. I can't repair the other...
  12. P

Cleaned the engine compartment of everything unneeded tonight. Dash is removed from the interior and seats are out. Tommorrow night begins the transfer from ford to merc. Hopefully I can find some answers on my wiring before I am ready for reinstall. If nothing else I will compare the...
  13. P

clear title and good body with a good windsheild too. Question for everybody, the mountaineer has a sunroof and the auto mirror and my EB doesn't, what wiring do I need to transfer to keep these options?
  14. P

I would too if the thing had ever given me a lick of problem. But it hasn't, runs great. I thought about buying another 5.0 for the Mountaineer but then I have to hunt down a trans to go with it. So I am just swapping what I have. There is nothing wrong with the ford other then the body is...
  15. P

82 views and no responses. Nothing huh?
  16. P

Contemplating timing set on the 4.0 OHV while I have it out, it has 296,000 miles on it. Anyone done there's yet? No parts store seem to stock them here.
  17. P

Call me glutton, but I have found a 97 Mountaineer with a rust free body and no motor or trans for $300 and my 95 explorer is rusted beyond what I would like to repair. So begins the change over. In order to keep my auto climate control and 4wd transfer case, rather then the awd that came...
  18. P

Nasty 2-3 Shift

Well EPC was the culprit so its fixed now, I hope. LOL! Took the transfer case shift motor off and found the plastic bushing inside broke so thats that problem, will have to turn one on my lathe I suppose or find a piece of hose.
  19. P

Nasty 2-3 Shift

thanks for the response, in the middle of changing the epc right now, came to check your thread on the vb rebuild thinking there was specs on what it should ohm out at. Mine is 3.9 ohms. I guess thats in range, now I'm stumped.
  20. P

Rusted Rotors / A trick that worked for me

Drilling and tapping holes in between the stud area works, the just run a bolt through and they will usually push right off, sometimes:D
  21. P

Nasty 2-3 Shift

Forgot to add, doubt if it has any bearing on the situation but the 4wd lights on the dash flash every now and then. Haven't been able to pull any codes my Mac scan tool doesn't want to communicate, even with the newest updates.
  22. P

Nasty 2-3 Shift

Hi, guys. Lots of wonderful information on here. Just read most of your threads on the 5r55e trans and looks like my problem may have been adressed a thousand times over but looks the the shift kits solved the problems. Mine however didn't. So here is the problem if any one can help...
Back