Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

03 4.0 17x,x.. miles chain went?

Good info. BTW, cant believe everything you see on the internet, but I read that by 2002 the 4.0 sohc had received updated timing tensioners etc. to deal with this issue. Can anyone speak to that? This is a 2003 Explorer with the trouble. If there was updated equipment either installed on...
  2. C

Drew, yeah thanks for that. It always got 5- Mobil 1 since early on not straight weight. Had no idea oil was used to tension the tensioners. We shall see what I decide to do. It is on the side for now. My main issue is finding the right shop or doing it myself. I have never had anyone pull and...
  3. C

Ok, glad a company like Cloyes makes stuff for this if I end up going that route. I really like most aspects of the vehicle but stuff like this is a major mental setback. I am glad it's not a financial issue or a matter of not having other vehicles or I would be extremely annoyed. I have...
  4. C

Ok, I set it to the side for a while in disgust. I will put some pressure on the coolant system and see where it comes out. Odd coincidence, but I hope it is. As for the motor....shaking my head. Do I understand correctly Ford put out a recall with limited duration for this timing equipment...
  5. C

Likely injector issue discussuion

This is not about an Explorer but rather a 99 E150 with a 4.2 V6, but what I am experiencing could easily apply to other models of the era. The vehicle is a low use vehicle since about 2002. It became a specialized vehicle at that point and probably has 10-20k on it since then. It has a history...
  6. C

Out of the blue I started it cold and it immediately sounds like chain slapping under there and the engine didn't want to run but did have some combustion. I noticed no coolant when it first happened but when placed nose up instead of nose down where parked when it happened, 4-8 oz of coolant...
  7. C

Dead miss feel at/near idle, does not appear to be ignition related

I have run some techron injector cleaner in the not too distant past. I'll pull the iac...i get the impression at times it may not be set correctly or something get a slight idle speed oscillation if I open the throttle a little...no load. I've never looked at it and don't think anyone else has...
  8. C

Yes, all of that stuff is fine, and the motor is basically doing the same thing before and after plugs, other than starting better now with new plugs. The miss feel is not as though it is running on 5. It is like it's running on 5.5, which is impossible, unless you have one firing half the...
  9. C

93, 216K original motor. Just put NGK fine electrode platinums in, removed Autolite platinums with about 30K or so on them, ran fine, but I notice it starts cold or warm easier with the new plugs, wasn't hard to start before but maybe 1-2 seconds longer crank and motor would stumble slightly...
  10. C

02 V6 Spark plug, driver rear only, consistent signs of coolant burning

Anyone have mysterious coolant consumption or intake manifold or head gasket issues on the V6? I have a feeling there's a production tolerance issue or head bolts should have been retorqued on the left side of this motor.
  11. C

02 V6 Spark plug, driver rear only, consistent signs of coolant burning

02 V6. When I changed the first set of plugs and wires (late) at around 108K, first signs of missfiring, I noticed the driver rear, cant recall cylinder numbering for this engine and it's not on sticker under the hood, was dry but had white chalky buildup. It's now at 154K and I notice a...
  12. C

Going to inspect a 98 5.0 AWD...q's

It is claimed to have burned the left front wheel bearing. That is a unit bearing correct? Cannot be test driven as normal, so if the wheel bearing 'burned' seriously enough to overheat that tire causing it to fail, what else will be in the crossfire.... Im thinking outer CV, the bearing...
  13. C

Oil in cyl number 4.

I'd still have to guess intake manifold gasket.....sounds too familiar. If you are on the flat and in cool weather most of the time, you may not heat the combustion chamber enough for long enough time to hear it ping on regular unleaded.
  14. C

Oil in cyl number 4.

Did you smell it? Might want to try and remove some of the fluid from the threads and see if it's engine oil for sure, or gas, or coolant. I forget how these motors are numbered, which are we talking about? Just a hunch, you may need to change the factory intake manifold gasket. My FelPro...
  15. C

100K+ spark plug reading observations

Just pulled the factory installed Motorcraft platinums. I was amazed at what I saw on the passenger side of the engine. The gap was large but the color, ground strap and electrode looked fine. When new, do these have the pointy cone on the tip of the electrode or are they cylindrical like most...
  16. C

100,000 Mile Spark Plugs ???

I would think the aluminum in the threads of the head as opposed to the similarly (read almost exact) shaped iron threads of the plug, but agree it's not that simple...... Just pulled a plug 03 4.0 and I'd say it took 30-40 pounds to get it to break away. Threads were a dry light brown, ground...
  17. C

100,000 Mile Spark Plugs ???

Old thread but timeless topic, I'm about to change some 100 K mile original the vehicle platinums. I've never not been able to get plugs out, but never changed plugs in that long, nor changed plugs in an aluminum headed street vehicle. Anyone who's had trouble getting them out, short of...
  18. C

Trusted Ford online parts sources

Bringing this one back from the depths. Original MAF finally quit in the 93 at about 188 K or so. Not bad. I compared RockAuto and Fastpartsnetwork initially. Rockauto was specific about who the part came from. FPN listed one part which was less expensive than all the RockAuto choices, with the...
  19. C

93 gasket, pinging codes story

The pinging gradually creeps back into the picture and seems to be the mass air flow sensor wire getting contaminated as described. Changed the thermostat because it froze up about the same time I changed the intake manifold gaskets to get the oil out of two cylinders which was causing a...
  20. C

93 4.0 auto function observation

Still observing over time. Here is what I do to make it shift more or less normally though with my manual input. Start with the selector in 3rd, shift to 2nd, it does it immediately, then through 3rd to 4th and it will more or less shift at the right time. It still delays the 2nd-3rd shift a...
  21. C

A4LD observations 2-1-2-3-4 pattern when left in OD and warm

183K on vehicle 93 2wd. 150K or so on trans. Ford replaced the trans when it wouldn't shift above 2nd after a mild offroad trip in the mid-90s. Tranmission seems to shift more firmly than it used to and delays shift a bit when it's warming up. When it warm or even more noticably when it's...
  22. C

5R55W Fluid Fill

Transmission Fluid Fill Adapter Our low price: $24.20 Have got to be kidding me.
Back