Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

97 AWD, Bang/Clunk under acceleration or gear shift from front end. HELP!

I'll definitely check for play in the mounts before pulling the driveshaft. I'm under the impression with the many posts about removing the front driveshaft that it won't cause any particularly bad situation other than needing to use the parking brake.
  2. P

97 AWD, Bang/Clunk under acceleration or gear shift from front end. HELP!

So, I've replaced the front CV axles because I thought that was the issue, and they were clicking anyway. But here's what's happening: When I apply more than grandma speed idle power from a stop, it starts bangin (like a gear slip). It also does it during the shift from 1st to 2nd. It...
  3. P

Show off your LIFTED 2nd GEN

IIRC, the RS5229 is the recommended shock for the front, if all you're doing is a TT. With a TT you are not (and cannot) exceed the stock travel of suspension. So switching to the RS5374 on the front, which is designed for an extra 1.5-2" of travel will create a possible bind/break risk if you...
  4. P

Which Brush Guard!?

Manik is out of business. :dunno:
  5. P

Odometer Tell-Tale

I'm curious, looking around the forums and searching the internet I haven't been able to find anyone who seems to know that the Pre-1994 Ford 5-digit odometers have a tell-tale for when they have rolled over 100,000 miles. On the left hand side of the 1/10ths number (white) a wear indicator...
  6. P

94 Explorer Stumble on acceleration and loss of power

Thanks for all the great Ideas guys. I was hoping someone else would take over my thread and get people to give up some good ideas. So now I know to check my fuel pump. My problem got slightly worse but never went away so far. Oh, and thanks for the carb cleaner trick. I will def use that one.
  7. P

OK, checked all vacuum lines. Couldn't see a problem there. Checked MAP, it's clean and putting out all the proper voltages. Double checked connectors to fuel evaporator, and pcv. Nothing seemed to be wrong. And of course for good measure I changed the air filter.
  8. P

Thanks for CPS. No it isn't cat. It's fairly new.
  9. P

ok, You're gonna have to tell me what a CPS is.
  10. P

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to do a more extensive search on the vacuum system today. If no dice there then I'm going to go looking at the rest.
  11. P

The problem existed before the plugs were changed, and the plugs I pulled out were Motorcraft and showed very little wear. Air filter clean, no leaks or cracks in intake. Haven't tried MAF yet. Rubber on booster good. Man, talk about a gremlin.
  12. P

Ummm Nothing. I found out that I can modify my driving style to compensate for it, but I can't fix the problem. I'm thinking it's acting like a vacuum leak, but I can't find the leak. Although my brake booster empties out overnight. :splat:
  13. P

I guess it's also prudent to mention a few more things... The truck has 175,000 miles, when the engine and engine bay are cold, it won't stumble on accelerating, but I still have a loss of power, the stumble only develops once it warms up a bit. Could anyone tell me how to read the codes...
  14. P

I have a 94 Explorer, XLT, 4x4, Manual Transmission, CA Emissions. Over the last several months there has been a developing "stumble" during acceleration, mostly under 2200 rpm. It started as a single misfire feeling, then progressed into what it is today. A huge loss of power and a very bad...
Back