Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

My Explorer is "eating" rotors

I would back up what Al says. If you ever do have to replace rotors again out of your own pocket, try A.R.T. rotors, www.appliedrotortechnology.com They are cryogenicly treated rotors that stay true for a long time. Well worth the money.
  2. D

Duff Hidden Winch Mount (sort of. . .)

Looks great Paul! Also looks like it came out just the way you wanted it to. I knew you'd figure out a way to mount a winch on that bumper. Cool!
  3. D

Explorer Questions - please help!

The ORV area at Tuttle Creek Lake north of Manhattan, KS is a fine place to wheel, i.e., there are many good trails there, with something for all levels, from mild to wild.
  4. D

Gears or locker?

Advice: Get both at the same time. Since you'll have the diff apart when you install the gears, install a locker while you're in there. The only exception is a lunchtime locker like the Powertrax, which installs in your present carrier and doesn't require you to reset the gear lash. But I'd...
  5. D

33's + 3.73's+5.5 Superlift=trouble?

Tekeman - Not sure what you're after with "make all the difference", but a blower will increase horsepower and torque, obviously. It all depends on where you want that power to be available at (rpm). The main drawback is $$$$$$ - blowers arn't cheap. The Mustang guys at www.corral.net can...
  6. D

Which A/S or A/T tires should I buy?

If it was me I'd stay with the M/T's year round. You already have two, just buy two more. But that's just me. Sounds like the Goodyears didn't really last that long for you, so I don't know why you're considering getting another set. Michelin and Pirelli both make good tires for the...
  7. D

5.0 V-8 Question

No, the 5.0 used in late model Explorers is not the same 5.0 H.O. motor that was used in the 89-95 Mustangs (the Mustang was fitted with the 4.6 V8 modular motor in 96). They both use the same 302 block, yes, but there are quite a few differences. The Ex 5.0 has direct electronic ignition...
  8. D

Granatelli vs Maxflow

Without actual dyno numbers showing a worthwhile increase in power, it's really hard to justify spending the money on a larger MAF sensor for an otherwise stock motor. The stock sensor and throttle body will support quite a bit more power without being upgraded.
  9. D

What is a good spark plug for a 5.0

Dan - Hard to beat the OEM Motorcraft plugs that are specified for your 5.0. That's what I'd recommend. Using anything else is just wishful thinking that they'll somehow improve performance over stock. They won't. I'd have to back up your opinion of Bosch plugs. A few years back, I had...
  10. D

So I am down at the local boat supply

Save your money. If it was that easy, why would anyone pay $2-4K for a real turbo or blower. The vent fan is made simply to MOVE air from one place to another, a blower or turbo PRESSURIZES the air greater than atmospheric pressure in a given volume to allow more fuel to be burned, which =...
  11. D

33's + 3.73's+5.5 Superlift=trouble?

Not quite sure of your plan of action. Are you going to install the 5.5" Superlift but then run around town with 31's or stock tires? Going to look kind of funny with the big lift and small tires. I can appreciate not wanting to get into an expensive, long term project, but the price of the...
  12. D

Return from Harrisonburg, VA

Hi Ho Sabin!!! Pull in them reins on that there buckin' Splorer!!! The pic looks great under your name!!! My swap -- it's going. Doing the body lift right now. Ran into some nasty frozen bolts that were seized in the body mount sleeve thing a ma jiggers. Tried everything to break them...
  13. D

Advice on solid axle or buy a jeep

Wow, $8000+ for a locked Dana 44 front axle swap! Who quoted you that? You could put in a custom Dana 60 for less than that! A few on this site have done the D44 swap, including Rick, so they should be able to steer you straight. What would I do? I'd find a cheaper way to swap in a D44 in...
  14. D

Custom Exhaust Help?!?!?!

Eric - Any good muffler shop should be able to do a custom cat back with whatever muffler you want for much less than if you buy the whole system from some performance parts place. Should be able to do the whole thing for under $200. Most muffler shops have a pipe bender so they can fab up...
  15. D

Return from Harrisonburg, VA

Paul - Wild pic of you "wall flyin'"!!! In extreme sport lingo I guess we can now refer to that move as a SabinAir. You sure you're not in the Air Force? Great shot Gerald!!!!!!!!
  16. D

Lockers??????WHAT

You definitely have many options. I run a Detroit Locker in the rear and a Trac-Lok L/S in the front. Works well for me. The only way I wanted a locker in the front was with something like an ARB, which can be turned on and off. Having a full time locker in the front works wonders many times...
  17. D

Minor 5.0 Conversion installation question

I think it's easier to disconnect the transfer case from the driveshafts and tranny, drop it down, then pull the motor and tranny. Pulling everything together really makes the assembly long and heavy, plus harder to maneuver out. 410Fortune is right, the xfer case has no mount, it is bolted to...
  18. D

Bridgestone Dueler A/T?

Here's another pro-Dueler vote. I've run three sets of A/T's and one set of M/T's and were totally satisfied with all of them. Averaged about 70K miles on the A/T's. Great all around tire. I would recommend them highly.
  19. D

hitch ball size

The "2" means it's a 2" ball, which is a very common size for most towing, and the 3500 lb. rating says it should tow your up to 3300 lb. boat with no problem. Sounds like you should be alright with what you're trying to do.
  20. D

Point of Interest, 5.0L Mustang Harnesses- 10 Pin Connectors on Intake

Thanks Sandy. I visit the corral fairly often. Great source of info for anything related to the 5.0 and much more. I've learned tons from that site. Hopefully I won't have any harness problems right off, since mine is brand new. But you never know ...... Thanks for bringing this to our...
  21. D

Point of Interest, 5.0L Mustang Harnesses- 10 Pin Connectors on Intake

Sandy, what's the address for the 5.0 Stang Web Site?
  22. D

What is a good shock?

Al - Sorry I can't be specific, but over the course of the last year or so, on this site and others, along with just talking to friends, etc., I know I've heard probably a half dozen people comment that their Edelbrocks wore out prematurely, that their performance was degraded, after a fairly...
  23. D

What is a good shock?

Have heard more than once that the Edelbrocks don't last very long. I tend to think the Bilsteins are rather harsh. Control valves are easy to reach on Rancho RS9000's. And once you figure out what level works best for you, you won't be adjusting them very much. They're very good shocks...
  24. D

better mass air senser

Going with a larger bore throttle body while keeping everything else stock will actually degrade performance, especially in the low rpm range. This is due to decreased incoming air velocity into the intake. A stock motor uses a certain volume of air, and using a larger bore throttle body will...
  25. D

PA Body Lift

www.NTWonline.com www.4wheelparts.com www.desertrat.com
Back