Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2Fish

Transmission code scan

Her description on the phone was she pressed the gas but it would not get up to speed led me to believe transmission. Turns out it is not the transmission but likely the fuel pump. Dropped the tank pulled the pump, picked up a new one and it is the wrong pump. I didn't install it, but could...
  2. 2Fish

Looking for a how-to on dropping fuel tank???

I found this on another site: http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/FuelPumpReplacement.pdf I'm pretty sure I'll be dropping my tank this weekend to R/R the fuel pump.
  3. 2Fish

03 XLS 4.0 will not increase RPM

This morning I started it and it ran normally for less than 30 seconds then back to the same. I shut it off and now it is a no start condition. Still no codes, my scanner is an inexpensive engine off reader from Autozone. I agree pump or cats at this point. Fortunately the cats are bolt up...
  4. 2Fish

03 XLS 4.0 will not increase RPM

My 03 XLS 4.0 4x4 167k will not accelerate. No codes in memory. It will start normally and idle, when I depress the accelerator (in neutral or gear) it tries to increase RPM but will not, just sputters a little. When I let off the accelerator it lopes for a few seconds then idles normally...
  5. 2Fish

Transmission code scan

Well my wife called earlier today and my Explorer quit moving and I had it towed home. Her verbal description between sobs leads me to believe there is transmission trouble. I am currently at work and won't actually see the vehicle until this evening. At 165k the transmission doesn't owe me...
  6. 2Fish

Cruise control won't deactivate

I had the same problem with my 03 last year. I first noticed that the cruise didn't always disengage when tapping the brake pedal. Later I noticed that I didn't have brake lights. Mine was the brake light switch under the dash attached to the brake pedal. The original was an enclosed...
  7. 2Fish

Pre cat rattle - fix ideas?

My 2003 xls, 4.0 (K code) has a significant rattle in the drivers side precat. I replaced the upstream o2 sensor on the passenger side 2 weeks ago (don't know if that contributes due to heat). It has 160,000 miles. I don't really want to replace the entire y pipe for this, is there a less...
  8. 2Fish

ok here is the new access hole for the fuel pump

^^ Yes, moved from the lake to town about 3 years ago.
  9. 2Fish

ok here is the new access hole for the fuel pump

Great idea and nice job. Thanks for the pics
  10. 2Fish

replaced fuel filter and opened up the old one

I doubt that caused by local gas. I live in Coldwater and mine has never looked like that.
  11. 2Fish

Stop Lamp Switch Inop

Update: A direct plug-in replacment switch appears non-existent. NAPA has the updated design and it appears to be fine. $19 and I still had to do the splice. Far better than $94.
  12. 2Fish

Safe to buy an '03?

I bought an 03 (4.0) in August of 07 with 60,000 and now have 127,000 without serious issues. No transmission trouble, no whining rear end, no blend door issues. Economy on gas since I've owned it is 18.9, on corn squeezins 16.8. I have had only a minimum of maintenance: plugs, brakes...
  13. 2Fish

Stop Lamp Switch Inop

When I parked last night I noticed my brake lights remained on when I was out of the vehicle. I pulled the fuse to prevent the battery from draining and assume the switch is bad. I called the dealer and the part is $94 That is one seriously fine piece of plastic there. The dealer told...
  14. 2Fish

Is this a good buy?

Thanks for the heads up
  15. 2Fish

Is this a good buy?

I am going to buy it this weekend. I have found a 4.0 from a 1996. Will an engine from a 1996 fit? Will the heads work? Thanks.
  16. 2Fish

Is this a good buy?

The VIN is 1FMZU34X7XUA28xxx
  17. 2Fish

Is this a good buy?

I am looking into a project vehicle for the teenager and wonder if there is anything I should know about. I have located a 99 XLT with 123,000 miles that has been overheated (semmingly good condition otherwise). It looks like I can get it for $200. It seems like a good buy to me even if it...
  18. 2Fish

Help with evap codes

As mentioned earlier, I haven't been able to locate the canister. The linked thread say to the side of the spare but I am unable to locate it (my first Ford). Could you offer a location description or pic?
  19. 2Fish

Help with evap codes

After replacing the gas cap again, this time from the dealer, the lights come back on 2 days after clearing codes. Now it appears the gas cap loosens after a couple of days. After 2 days of driving (roughly 225 miles) I can remove the gas cap without turning it. After noticing this, I have...
  20. 2Fish

Help with evap codes

Thanks for your reply, I had read the second thread before posting. I am not having any problems fueling and didn't want to replace the fuel neck until certain. It's $290 :rolleyes: I went with the $24 OEM cap.
  21. 2Fish

Help with evap codes

A few weeks ago the check fuel cap light came on in my 03 XLS, 2 days later the SES light came on. I had the codes read and it returned P0455 and P0457. I purchased a new fuel cap and had the codes cleared. The lights stayed off for about a week. Then the SES light with code P0455 followed a...
  22. 2Fish

Reliablity of 3rd gen Explorers? (02-05) questionable?

I bought my 03 XLS in Aug. 07 with 60k on the clock and then found this forum. I was initially concerned about reliability, now with over 100k I view it as reliable. Other than consumables, I've only put front wheel bearings in it and have been pleased.
  23. 2Fish

The Dealership Treated Me Right . . . Did I Just Say That?

I only needed to get in, I'm great with that for 3 bucks!
  24. 2Fish

The Dealership Treated Me Right . . . Did I Just Say That?

After a search for keys Monday morning, I discovered that the only key and fob I have are locked in the X. I took the title to the dealership and they cut me an entry only key within 10 minutes for $3.18. :D
  25. 2Fish

Ford Explorer Value Drop?

I was at an auction on Saturday when a loaded 04 XLT with 50,000 miles sold for $4,500. It appeared to be in great shape.
Back