Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

3rd Gen Ford Explorer V8 Under-Drive Pulley and Electric Fan Installation

jrodmakrs: Any chance you can re-upload the pics of your install? I'm really interested in doing this to my truck over the coming week and would like a reference pic. Thanks! Mike
  2. E

Adding a LSD to a non-LSD rear end.

Yes. Please do! Thanks, Mike
  3. E

I reread your reply and just want clarification, for myself and others. The carriers are interchangeable, but the spider gears are not. So can the spider gears from a solid axle limited slip be swapped out for the spider gears from an IRS limited slip? Thanks, Mike
  4. E

Ronin8002 and boominXplorer: You guys are the best. Thanks so much for the insight and help. Cheers! Thanks, Mike
  5. E

2004 Explorer, 4.0L, 4x4, 135k mi, 3.55 open diff front/rear My truck has the whine coming from the rear diff, indicative of the ring/pinion gears failing. I've already replaced the wheel bearings at all four wheels so I know with certainty the whine isn't coming from them. I'm planning on...
  6. E

AC drain doesn't drain

Thanks, Viper! I checked out that link and I'm hopeful it'll help me. Question, though: Do you know if the drain is accessible from inside the truck without having to disassemble the entire dash? Would I be able to just pull up the carpet on the driver's side and be able to go from there...
  7. E

AC drain doesn't drain

'04 XLT 4.0l 4x4 109k miles AC drain doesn't drain I hardly use the AC because I'd rather just open the windows and sweat a little. This way I'm losing weight while not doing a... damn... thing! Anyway... When I do use the AC it works fine, no issues. However the drain under the car does...
  8. E

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

'04 XLT, 4dr, 4wd, V6, 93k miles I've been subscribed to this thread for months now only waiting to finally change my wheel bearings when I could find Timken bearings cheap. Last week I ordered two Timken SP470200 Axle Bearing and Hub Assemblies with wheel speed sensor from Amazon for $114.70...
  9. E

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Just a heads-up to everyone: I contacted the guy thepotroast recommends for buying OE Ford wheel bearings cheap. Here's his email back to me verbatim (all-caps emphasis his): "SORRY BEEN OUT OF STOCK FOR AWHILE COULD YOU PLEASE INFORM THE EXPLORER FORUM THAT I DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE OR...
  10. E

Oil Change.. My first time, Help!

I wish I could take credit for using the plastic bag, but I actually learned it from someone else. So, there ya go. I totally agree that no matter how long you wait, or at what angle you hold the oil filter there will still be oil left in it. But the place I drop off my used motor oil and...
  11. E

Oil Change.. My first time, Help!

I've installed this Quick Oil Drain Valve on my truck and I absolutely love it. It's been on my truck for about a year now and it's awesome. I had a concern about it possibly opening while driving or offroading, but my concerns have been unfounded. I bought a 5/8" spring hose clamp and placed...
  12. E

Blower fan noise.

Old Dog: My truck is experiencing this very problem as well. The blower motor spins a plastic cage wheel which is actually what produces the air that comes through the vents. The cage wheel is simply pressed onto the blower motor and then it's held in place by a metal clip. In my case...
  13. E

Brush Guard....

Rich: I see you're located in Jersey; I'm located in the Lehigh Valley of eastern PA. I have a brush guard I bought for my '04 XLT about two years ago; had it on my truck for about 6mos before I got tired of it and took it off. It's hanging on the wall in my garage right now. Here's a...
  14. E

Electric Fan install (replacing clutch fan) to gain some mpg

Where is the factory electric fan in your Aviator located? Is it sandwiched between the radiator and a/c condenser? Where does the fan plug in to? I ask because I'm looking to add the factory electric fan to my truck ('04 XLT, 4.0 V6, 4x4) that doesn't have a factory electric fan. Pics would be...
  15. E

Yes, most interesting indeed. I did a search on eBay for 'Ford Explorer cooling fan' and there were quite a few hits with people/businesses selling factory replacement cooling fans for the Gen-3 Explorers--all of which looked exactly the same as in the link I provided. So one would have to...
  16. E

Why not try this: 02 03 04 05 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L 4.6 A/C SHROUD FAN MOTOR I've been thinking of doing this to my truck ('04 XLT 4dr, 4x4, 4.0L). It does not have an electric fan, only a mechanical one driven by the belt. The OEM part number listed in the link coresponds to a real Ford part...
  17. E

Tail lamps

yeah, those look pretty slick. i'd really like to add them to my truck, but as i was reading the previous threads it appears i would have to do some rewiring and minor modifications with the wiring. messing with the electrical system is not something i'm terribly comfortable with doing. i might...
  18. E

Tail lamps

I'm interested in these as well. I too like the rear amber turn indicator. Does anyone have a description, or step-by-step write up on how to modify the connector plug of the stock tail lamp to fit this one? Mike
  19. E

where to jack it?

agreed. mike
  20. E

where to jack it?

jrford: i agree with you, i want to stay away from using the rear differential as a jack point as much as possible. i'm sure it might be able to support the weight of the truck, but i don't want to take my chances. knowing my luck as soon as i start to jack up the rear of the truck from the...
  21. E

where to jack it?

robmurt04: haha. fair point. what i'd like to do is be able to place my floor jack on some point under the front and rear of the truck, raise it and then be able to put jack stands on either side of it to support the weight. then move onto the other end of the truck and do the same. this way...
  22. E

where to jack it?

'04 XLT V6 4x4 ok. are there any center-line jack points on the explorer? i grow tired of going to every corner and jacking it from the frame rail whenever i have to do work on my truck that requires me putting it on jacks. i do have four ramps that i put in front of each wheel that i drive...
  23. E

Cant get it out of park without a battle

i believe it's called torq-lock... when parking on any sort of incline you should always apply the parking brake before shifting into park. that way the full weight of the vehicle is being held in place by the parking brake, which it's engineered to withstand, rather than the parking pin...
  24. E

Engineering Test Mode

worked for me. '04 xlt 4.0 4x4 without message center. i pressed down on trip reset button and turned ignition key to the accessory position. i continued pressing button for only a few more seconds and the word 'test' appeared in the odometer/trip/temp/compass readout window. release, and...
  25. E

Front sway bar bushings

thelt, it's a fairly straightforward job. you need just basic tools: a pair of jackstands, a ratchet or two, a few different sized sockets, a breaker bar, and a torque wrench. if you have an air ratchet then the breaker bar is a moot point; and the whole process will go much more quickly...
Back