Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Keyless Entry System failure?

did you find the fix I am in the same boat, my remote worked and then stopped working once a few weeks ago and I was able to reprogram. I needed to change the instrument panel and it still was working, but now has failed.
  2. R

Changed instument panel - remote stopped working

2002 XLT Replaced instrument panel, everything worked, 2 days later remote stops and will not allow to be reprogrammed. I disconnected battery and still no luck. I will try some other remotes, but is there any issue with new panel?
  3. R

Heat blows cold air when stopped

MY thought is low coolant, bleed/burp system Trapped air?
  4. R

Battery keeps dying

sounds like the dealer isnt doing the job the dealer should be able to isolate the draw, but it sounds like they are no better than autozone and testing battery. Some great ideas posted here. The easy work around (not fix) is the battery disconnect. That way it is just a quick spin of the...
  5. R

Battery or Alternator?

al batteries fail at some point I had a evermaxx go out in one month, and others in 8 years. Get it tested on a full charge and see if the battery is delivering the goods.
  6. R

Battery or Alternator?

was it cold out? From my experience with these trucks, if it is the alternator, you will get some dash flash, some light or gauge indicator this part is failing. For my 2000 the dash light would flicker at idle, when the alternator was pushing out the lowest amps. Heck, I was glad it...
  7. R

How do you reset ABS light

can you list what part you used? Heck, I put in a 50 dollar ebay hub and it had the exact connections and no issues. if the battery disconnect doesn't work, I am betting you still have an issue throwing a code.
  8. R

UGh, replaced insturment panel now fuel gauge is quirky

Thanks We think the gauge has now started workng, maybe when first hooked up it takes a while to sync up with computer and determine signal. Who knows; I dont, but we filled it up and it is registering
  9. R

no light I will check/clean connections. It is not the float, it is working.
  10. R

Keep or replace 2004 Ford Explorer (rear differential replacement)

you have a disposable vehicle or sell for what you can get. I would never sink big money into one of these. It is like plugging a dike with your thumb, the leaks keep coming. I normally keep my truck going with JY parts until one of the biggies hits, (Trans/Timing Chain/Rear diff)Engine)...
  11. R

will 2003 instument pane work in 2002 explorer xlt?

I have a 2003 instrument panel, the connections look the same, the lights have a different config. Can I use in a 2002?
  12. R

Swapped out 2002 Explorer Instrument Panels, now the fuel gauge is not working. Should I wait and see if it corrects? It worked when first installed, slowly, now it is reading empty. I jiggled the dash and instrument panel and it worked for a while, then shut the car off and when restarted...
  13. R

dumb instrument cluster question

so I completed the swap and the fuel gauge is all over the place. dumb question - and I know the answer - swapping instrument panel cannot influence PCM or performance? I would think not. Can a 2003 instrument cluster work in a 2002?
  14. R

Saying goodbye to my 03 XLT

sorry to see you go, I would prefer the GMC Envoy as they are tanks and bulletproof engine. I have had three explorers and the main reason is they are cheap to acquire and cheap to fix with Junkyard parts. My latest is a 2002 xlt with 190K for $1700. It know is at 163 since I replaced the...
  15. R

Installing front bumper absorber

go to the junkyards I am not sure on this explorer, but in previous cars the absorbing foam was in the bumper cover and the bumper cover secured the foam. I would go to a pick and pull yard
  16. R

What glue works best to secure that back hatch piece

I have that back hatch piece below the rear window is loose on one side. I tried plastic glue but it didn't hold. I was going to try some type of silicone caulk since it will have some flexibility. Does anyone have any recommendations for reglueing this common failure piece?
  17. R

Tire Recommendation

Destination LE vs AT Yes, the LE is more of a road tire, great for highway. The A/T will have a little more road noise. We went with the A/T as this, as with previous explorers, is our Go To vehicle when the snow/weather is bad and the A/T is a top rated snow tire that also has all weather...
  18. R

2003 Collision Repair

I had a similar accident I bought the whole front of a car from a recycler (www.car-part.com). It was the front of the car, axle, radiator, no engine, and was cut off at the dashboard. When done I sold the remaining as scrap. Good luck to you. Try www.car-part.com when you need...
  19. R

05- V8 4.6L Throttle body problems? Looking for used TB

there are a bunch listed on Car-part.com time to make a few calls. I can vouch for A reliable in Blue Island, IL. If there is one near your home, that would be the one to try.
  20. R

05- V8 4.6L Throttle body problems? Looking for used TB

here is where I would look website for nationwide recyclers: www.car-part.com. Website for junkyards you can pull the part. http://www.picknpull.com The 2005s are starting to make the junkyards. The recyclers - top site, will have them. Look for LKQ recyclers first.
  21. R

Front wheel bearing question

chances are there is a lot of metal in the spindle, it will just be rusty. The rust destroys the bearing more than the spindle. The rust makes it harder to remove the bearing. You should be fine, just get out the sand paper or file and clean off the rust. You might see some pitting but...
  22. R

Brakes grinding while driving

more on this So an option; go to a u pick yard, take off a rotor/caliper. Think of it more of a test if you can do it. Heck, don't even buy the part there, just test your skills. There are a number of times I will try to remove something at the yard prior to trying on my truck i.e...
  23. R

+1 on the response above I will say I had a similar scenario in which I had a caliper travel out of position, and yes, you do need to replace. I am lucky that I am within 10 miles of a high volume u pick junkyard and found an explorer that was just brought in and, based on the pads and...
  24. R

Front wheel bearing question

Do you plan on doing more work on cars? Good, then go buy one of the $6.00 containers of antiseize, you will use it for a bunch of things. Is it needed? It sure helps. Do the pros add it, yes. Doe it help prevent rust and corrosion, yes. Is there any advantage to not using it, No.
  25. R

Instructions 1)watch a DIY on how to replace brake pads, rotors, calipers. 2) make sure you have the tools 3) watch another DIY video. 4) Go buy the stuff you need to fix/replace the problem. 5) perform the fix. 6) Feel much better knowing you didn't take your car to a hack brake shop...
Back