Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Alarm constantly going off, DOOR AJAR, ENGINE light on, etc.

Just called a local Ford dealer and they want $90.00 for a passenger-side door jamb/AJAR switch for a 2002 XLT... A little pricey for me right now. Anyone know of a good online dealer for this part?
  2. O

As I wrote, I worked as an amplifier repair tech. :) First thing I look for are mechanical connections such as molex connectors (if present) oxidizing on the contacts, next is broken wires. Naturally, any wire subjected to back and forth motions has the potential of fraying (in the case of...
  3. O

Spent all day on this, nothing's worked yet. I did find a good thread here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253 Tried opening the windows, arming the alarm, waiting and then opening the door from the inside. Sure enough, it's the front passenger door again. Opening the...
  4. O

Well, about the DOOR AJAR light, it worked for a while, but about two weeks ago, the beeping and the light started going off again. And of course, the alarm started going off at all hours... So, disconnected the battery cable as an interim "fix," just so the alarm would stop going off...
  5. O

LED conversion: High Mount Brake light

Mine are still working fine in both vehicles. No problems at all.
  6. O

Had a delay in getting to it until today. Here's what I found: As mentioned above, my first thought was of the passenger side front door. Disassembled the door, looked at the wires, nothing looked broken. Ground wires are thinner as mentioned. Got out the multimeter and checked for continuity...
  7. O

Good stuff. Thanks! Going outside shortly to work on the Ford. I've worked as an electronics repair tech, so I have an idea of what to look for here. Of course it makes perfect sense about the correlation between the DOOR AJAR light and the alarm going off as the Ford would "think" the door is...
  8. O

Hello all, I have a 2002 Explorer XLT with 90K miles with some sort of electrical problem(s). It all seemed to start in earnest more than a month ago when the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. Took it to the local mega-garage (with whom I am having some doubts) and they told me that it was an...
  9. O

Advice Needed: Transfer case — New or Rebuilt?

It was a few days later. I spoke to the postmaster of the entire post office herself. It's a small post office and has a small staff. As I wrote, she would not affirm or deny that she had surveillance cameras and instead started talking about how her own vehicle was keyed in some mall lot for no...
  10. O

It's been several weeks since it's been keyed, so I'm sure whatever Area 51 Above Top Secret Q Level Clearance surveillance tapes that post office would have would be long taped over. The keying is not too bad, only several inches long. It's easy to see where the person who keyed the door...
  11. O

Thanks. :chug: I will be sure to let you all know how if it works out. The rebuilt transfer case, by the way, has a six-month warranty. A new transfer case would have had a twelve-month warranty. As mentioned, anywhere I can save money right now, I have to, so the rebuilt transfer case is going...
  12. O

OK, as I'd mentioned, our extended warranty is up on Monday. There is a howling sound, not extremely bad, but noticeable from 40 to 70 MPH. The sound changes pitch as one changes speed. I'd mentioned it in another thread and thought that it might be something else. We wanted to get this fixed...
  13. O

OK, decided to drive down to the garage and the guy slid under the truck. I asked for the number, not telling him the numbers that should appear or which number I wanted to hear. He said, "forty-four eleven." I replied with something like, "Good. The 4410s have a viscous coupler which does make...
  14. O

He did say, and more than once, "All Wheel Drive" and I knew we didn't have that. Think I might be OK with the rebuilt transfer case with the Auto 4WD? [crossing fingers] :D
  15. O

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I want to call them back today, obviously. It has the selector switches on the dash for 4WD. The guy at the garage was insisting AWD, which I know it's not, as it slips in the rear very occasionally on washed out silt and dirt when wet at one...
  16. O

OK guys, quickly here. :) Our 2002 XLT is down at the garage and needs a new transfer case. The warranty is up on Monday. The warranty company will cover a rebuilt transfer case, but we will have to pay about $400.00 over and above our deductible for a new Ford transfer case. The person at...
  17. O

Checked out the high brake light last night and it looks great. The LEDs do uniformly light the brake light lens at night. Very bright, but not blindingly so. You can still see the focused red circles slightly at the center of each single lens. Perhaps when I have a chance, I'll take and post...
  18. O

Very nice. :thumbsup: Instead of starting a new thread about a similar procedure, I'll add to this thread instead. I'd noticed that another 194 bulb had burned out and replacing them is a bit of a pain. The heat from the bulbs had distorted the silvery reflector portion and the black plastic...
  19. O

Rear window stuck open = NEED HELP!

Well, ended up taking it to the local garage. I'd mentioned how the black plastic part was partially broken, so it's beyond me to source new parts and install them. Fortunately, we still have about a month remaining on our Platinum Coverage on our aftermarket warranty, so the deductible was...
  20. O

OK, was able to get the flange into the black plastic thing, but I then noticed that there is a large amount of play on this when raising and lowering the window. Looking more closely through the left hand opening with a flashlight, I now have noticed that part of the plastic square should have...
  21. O

OK, have the panels off and what's obviously occurred is that there is a metal flange which inserts into a black plastic squarish device that rides up and down a track. This black plastic square is working fine. I also removed the panels on the other door to see how a functional window should...
  22. O

Right, right. Wind resistance, Open Window Turbulence, all sorts of these scientific things can do that. I'll give it a shot... :D At some point, I may very well put in a Wife Lock window switch too. ;)
  23. O

Have any advice about disassembling the door panels? I don't want to break anything else and the panels don't seem to want to come off very easily. About the window, looking closely, it's dropped about 1½ ~ 2 inches into the door. Contrast that with the other side window, which when retracted...
  24. O

Hello all, Today, the wife was driving out 2002 Explorer XLT. As we have kids, we have those vinyl perforated window shades that attach to the windows with hooks at the top and a suction cup at the bottom. The wife hit the button to put one of the windows down and the suction cup and part of...
  25. O

Whining noise from 40 ~ 70 MPH

I have a lot of Priest and Maiden CDs, though of the latter, I prefer the Paul DiAnno-era Killers and he does have a lower voice... So I may have to match the whining sound with the artists recommended. About the repair, it was a hair over $700.00. I hope this is an alright amount. I have...
Back