Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Any good offroad wheels?

Sorry - they were all on an old PC and I lost them years ago. It's all about measure once, cut twice.....
  2. J

Auxillary Lights Shaking

Do what I did - install the light behind the grille - Plenty of room and in my case, the HIDs I used still throw stacks of light out from behind the grille. I now have a 120W LED light bar on my excursion nudge bar and it doesn't shake at all.....
  3. J

Auxillary Lights Shaking

I'd say the nudge bar is shaking - check the bolts on it first, and go from there.
  4. J

Tire Styles

I just put a set of 265/65/17 Kumho KL 61s on mine - they're an AT pattern and are good on the highway, not noisy, and supposed to be good off road (haven't quite got there yet).
  5. J

fog light mod

Hi, I installed a separate switch since mine doesn't have the pullout option on my headlight switch. I just cut the wiring at the foggies and ran my own wiring using a normal relay etc.
  6. J

April 2014 TOTM - 3rd Generation Rigs -Voting

Thank for that - been a while since I've been on, and that is my old Ex, but still lots of work went into it.
  7. J

AWD compared to 4x4

I don't have any pics, but I installed it just above and to the side of the trans shifter - on ours, we have the shifter between the seats in the centre console; I think you guys got column shift?
  8. J

AWD compared to 4x4

Yep, thats true, but we also know that the transfer case does not engage unless and until slip is detected, so normal dry conditions in 4X4auto, it only uses RWD, but does kick the transfer case into 4x4 if you take off quick etc from the lights. I know this because I have hooked up a green...
  9. J

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

Well, not in the 3rd section they haven't......:eek:
  10. J

Lookin to lift 2003 Sport

Yeh, sport tracks are over there ------>
  11. J

To get the rims or to not get the rims

The Ltd rims are all chrome cover over the steel rim - I think you'll find they're all like that (some of them have a very good bond and look to be one piece). These are the same rims I have on my Ex, and I have a full spare set also - I didn't realize they were covers either until I looked...
  12. J

fog light mod

10% of your posts so far have been high quality. At least the most recent one was punctuated. And a forum is for sharing ideas, problems and solutions - "pay a (sic) someone to figure it out" is not really helpful is it.
  13. J

It's the fatter of the 2 brown wires going into the transfer case.
  14. J

fog light mod

LOL. Me too!
  15. J

A 10 Amp switch is all you need - mine is a 10Amp and have had it in since last year, and we keep it mostly on (since I prefer to have it in Auto 4WD mode anyway, which means it runs 2WD except when it detects slippage then it diverts power to the front).
  16. J

Digital Gauge readings

There's a couple of old threads about the scan gauge, and the ELM 327 and Torque app, and plenty of people saying what parameters they can read, but I would really like to know what values people are getting. For example, at idle, my 4.6 is showing 14% throttle - I was expecting 0% since I...
  17. J

Add on Temperature Gauge anyone?

Up there for thinking!!! Nice work.
  18. J

Plugged mine in, warmed the truck up and fans come on at 94, and turn off at 92 degrees Celsius. I have an 82 degrees C thermostat, so that all seems to be a good combo. Stock T-stat is 92 degrees C, so the fans and thermostat would constantly be cycling on and off if I didn't fit the lower...
  19. J

I mounted my OBD connector at 90 degrees to how it originally was - so with the ELM plugged in, it sits horizontal rather than hanging down. It's a matter of removing 2 screws, turning it, and re screwing it in the new position (may have needed a drill to make new screw holes, can't remember).
  20. J

Same reason I have ordered one for mine.
  21. J

2002 "hulk" explorer project

I assumed that even though AWD was mentioned, he meant 4WD since the 02 model didn't come with AWD (AWD was introduced in 03 for Eddie Bauer and Limited models). But technically you are correct that BWM does not work with AWD.
  22. J

AWD compared to 4x4

Yep, BWM only applies to 4WD, but it doesn't save any fuel since 4X4 auto usually means 100% to rear wheels anyway.
  23. J

fog light mod

Most states allow a set of low beam, a set of high beam and one set of auxiliary lights on at the same time (ie total of 6 lights). Ford turn them off with high beam mostly because they'd be next to useless (ie the highbeam would out-perform the fog lights). But other than that, there is no...
  24. J

Nice choice. Even though it's more than the ELM, at last you know it will work, and it is still cheaper than buying the full set of gauges this software will give you!
  25. J

That is cool.
Back