Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

BODY MODS (old skool style)

I had it advertised in numerous places all summer and never got a single bite. Just not on here becuase of not being allowed to sell on the forum unless I pay for the elite. I guess nobody wants somebody else's unfinished project, I know I would never buy one. Not to mention when coming to...
  2. F

Yup, that's what they are doing here. They are setting up just out side car shows, cruise nights, walking around looking at the cars and pulling them over as soon as they hit a public road. I belong to a local Ranger Club and they will sit 1/2 a block away flagging anyone over that has a club...
  3. F

Custom paint is all right, it's when you get into modifying the structure, suspension or motor that grabs their attention. For example, 1 friend of mine built a '38 Chevy coupe with a chopped roof and an LS1 swap. He got nailed because it wasn't built by a licensed bodyman, and not having...
  4. F

Wholey cow! This thing is still going? Well, I may as well put it to bed, this truck has been parted out and the body had a date with the crusher. As of January 1st 2013 a law was passed in Ontario Canada that will allow police, MTO (our version of DOT) and even Ministry of Environment...
  5. F

well, being that I haven't touched her in over a year and a half, I've desided to sell it the way it sits. I just haven't the time or money to finish it right now and all it is doing is sitting in the garage taking up space and rusting.
  6. F

They are off of a '80s Crown Vic, they don't have knubs for dog dishes so I'll be using chrome center caps with chrome lugs and yes beauty rings are a must. The build is still on the back burner right now, I'm building a car for my wife along with pouring a bunch of time and money into my...
  7. F

2nd gen ex front clip on 95 ranger?

Oh no, you should be fine that way. I'm talking the way they flare out around the wheel openings. The profile, when looking from the front for example, is totally different shape.
  8. F

Rust repair with fiberglass?

You can however buy 'panel adhesive' and glue new steel on. being the these vehicles are full frame the rocker/doglegs are not structural and can be glued on. just make sure you cut out the entire rusted area and follow the instructions on the adhesive to the letter, it is fickle stuff.
  9. F

Rust repair with fiberglass?

Fibreglass will not stick to metal no matter how you prep it. A few months of normal road vibrations and your patch will 'delaminate' and fall off. I have had MINIMAL success with grinding the rotted areas, tapping them in about a 1/4", then filling with short strand fibre enforsed body filler...
  10. F

Can I do anything about this

Ya, $1,200 will most likely get you a quickie 'scuff & paint' nothing removed, no bodywork and cheap single stage paint. If the areas with the 'checks' aren't stripped to bare metal, primed then painted then they will look twice as bad once painted. When I used to run a bodyshop, I could've...
  11. F

2nd gen ex front clip on 95 ranger?

Actually the fenders will bolt on as well but the wheel openings and bodylines are totally different. I've seen this swap done and guys usually cut in fender vents to hide the upper body line but the lower line and wheel opening are barely noticeable with fender flares and some minor body work.
  12. F

Lowering kit? which one lowers the most???

I finally got around to installing my Ground Force springs yesterday. I got 2" drop. My Ex has the 3rd row seat, the rear seems to sit a little higher then most I've seen, I was hoping the OEM spring where stiffer on the ones with the 3rd row but it still only dropped 2" so the rear still sits...
  13. F

Tire Size and Speedometer Recalibration

When you plug in your SCT, depending on the model, while setting up the type of tune you are installing there should be a menu to change gear ratio and tire "Rotations Per Mile" You will need to calculate that (there are many websites that offer it, can't think any off the top of my head, google...
  14. F

4.6L Head swap?

Ultimately the plan is to rebuild the heads with new (more aggressive) cam and roller rockers, then give them and the intake a port and polish. I figure if the ones off the Effie will work then I'll pull them off, do the work to them while driving the EX (the tick doesn't seem bad, I'm...
  15. F

I don't have the truck at home right now, I just bought it but I took some picks and have compared them too pics I've found online and there is no way they are almost 3" taller. They are however quite a bit wider, so I'm thinking they must be 275/60/17s. I'll have wait till I get her home...
  16. F

That is another thing, I'm not sure if my tires are stock size or not, they are 275/70/17s. they look a little big to me but they are nice touring tires with about 70% tread so I'm not planning on changing them any time soon.
  17. F

I'm glad to hear that, Ron at RCO Enterprises told me the only kit he can find that will fit the 4x4s is the Ground force 1.6/1.6 so I went ahead and ordered one. I really wanted a little more drop then that so I'm hoping to get the same result as you once I install it.
  18. F

4.6L Head swap?

Thanks for the reply, You had me worried for a while but according to what I read on the links you gave me, after '01 the Windsor was only in the Supercrew F-150s, mine is Extenda-cab, which along with the Expos, had the Romeo. The only difference between the two, is the Expo motor has an...
  19. F

Lets see those 3rd gen street trucks!

We need more on here! I want to build this! It's a SVT Urban Explorer concept that ford built for the car show circuit, too bad it never saw production.
  20. F

4.6L Head swap?

I have just bought an '03 V8 XLT that seems to have some ticking coming from one of the heads, I'm thinking rocker arm. I will be scrapping my '02 F-150, also with the 4.6. According to Wikipedia the SOHC modular engine in the Expo and the Triton in the Effie are both one in the same but...
  21. F

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

I must say Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this thread and a koodo to the mods for making this a sticky. Yesterday I managed to find this on my phone while standing on a dealership lot looking at an '03 XLT in need of a blend door actuator. I was able to scroll through it in a way to make it...
  22. F

Ranger Drop Arms on a 2ndgen Ex?

Not yet, but it is on my "to do list" (which is about as long as my arm, so it may take a while)
  23. F

No, sorry still nothing. All my time and money are being spent on some "over due" projects around the house right now.
  24. F

No, between being a lttle tired of it from rushing to get the body mods done for VanFest and haveing a dozen other projects on the go, I've been taking a break from it. Hopfully will be getting back on it after xmas but it's mostly tieing up a few loose ends and mud work so there still may not...
  25. F

Ranger Drop Arms on a 2ndgen Ex?

no they don't, hence this part of my original post; I found my answer any way, they do bolt right on. airbagit.com sells airbag kits for Explorer/Ranger Edge and it is the same kit they sell for coil spring set ups but with an extra bracket to mount the top of the bags.
Back