Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Replaced cluster lights, lost my gauges...

Well, it turns out that all of my gauge problems were due to a blown fuse. Number 11 blew and caused all the problems. Got it changed out and all the gauges and emergency indicator lights are now working. The new bulbs in the cluster look great too. Oh, and the radio backlighting also works...
  2. W

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

Well, it turns out that all of my gauge problems were due to a blown fuse. Number 11 blew and caused all the problems. Got it changed out and all the gauges and emergency indicator lights are now working. The new bulbs in the cluster look great too. Oh, and the radio backlighting also works...
  3. W

Thanks, will take a look. It is a strange feeling to drive with no spedometer.
  4. W

Thanks for the advice. I took things apart yesterday and replugged everything back in. No difference. I will look again at the paper when I can. Is there any way to fix the paper if it is damaged? Any chance this is a fuse issue?
  5. W

Yesterday I finally got around to replacing the burnt out 194 bulbs in the instrument clusterof my 97 Mountaineer, per this nice write up here. I used Sylvania 194LL bulbs. I turned on the car, and the lights were nice and bright and I was very happy, until I realized that none of the gauges...
  6. W

Gauges won't work Well, I finally got around to doing this. I just put in regular bulbs. I turned the car on and the cluster was nice and bright. Unfortunately now none of the gauge needles will move (odometer, spedometer, etc), and nearly all of the other cluster warning lights won't...
  7. W

Could you explain how to do that, and what equipment I would need to buy? Thanks.
  8. W

Would something like this work somehow? I already have one at home. http://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-portable-power-950-with-jump-starter/p-02871987000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2#desc
  9. W

Thanks for the reply. I apologize, but I am completely new to this and ignorant of what I would need to bench test the board. What is on the other end of those alligator clips? For the indicator lights, I wouldn't change them for LED's, just wondering if there is any utility in changing...
  10. W

Rear Defroster Bulb?

bulbs Thank you all for your insight into this. I am getting ready to take the LED plunge in my '97 Mountaineer. Couple of questions. Are these LED bulbs from Autoillumination plug and play ,ie, no need for soldering in resistors, etc? Just so I am clear, I will need 1 "tall"...
  11. W

getting ready I'm finally getting ready to do the LED conversion on a '97 Mountaineer and have a couple of questions: -Regarding polarity, is there a way to tell whether the LED bulbs are in the correct orientation without having to put the dash/etc back into place? I don't have access to...
  12. W

Thanks for the replies. After reading through the board, and especially Mustang's amazing conversion threads, I realize that my headlight switch bulb as well as my rear defrost/fog light buttons are all burned out. I don't have a soldering iron or the ability to do an LED conversion that...
  13. W

1997 Mountaineer Radio lights out

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I had read through that link several times before posting, but I'm just not sure if that applies to my situation. I have a '97 model and the clock display works fine, but it is the (blue) back-light that is absent and that is really the issue. Also, when...
  14. W

1997 Mountaineer Radio lights out

Hello, My 1997 Mountaineer has the stock JBL stereo in it. The blue back lighting that normally illuminates the radio has gone out. The clock display itself is totally fine. Of course, the service manual says that the radio illumination is "replaceable at Lincoln/Mercury and Ford...
  15. W

Will these LED's do the trick? http://www.amazon.com/Brand-5-SMD-White-Power-Lights/dp/B006E3SJZA/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1326940090&sr=1-4 Also, is this the correct size to work behind the a/c, fan speed dials as well? Thanks
  16. W

1998 Mountaineer: Purchase and replace third brake light?

Hey guys, great advice. So this "light assembly" will include the LED and everything else needed? Also, will there be any problem with putting a part from a 99 Explorer into a 98 Mounty? Finally, any advice on how to actually get to the third light assembly? Thanks again for your help...
  17. W

thanks for the reply I appreciate the replies. Unfortunately I can't really figure out how I would get to the light. If I lift up the window portion of the tailgate it looks like there is a metal casing with some screws in it through which I could get to it. The only problem is that...
  18. W

Hello, I'm new to the forum and searched around but couldn't find a good answer to this. I was recently told that the third brake light (above the tailgate) on my 1998 Mountaineer needs replaced. I was also told that this was not a simple matter of replacing a bulb but required an...
Back