Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Front Drive Shaft installation issue

Sounds like a good tip, I'll take a look at that. One quick question: When you put your CV back together, did you have to push the carrier down into the socket a certain distance before you could move the outer part of the CV joint freely? I'm asking, because it occurred to me today...
  2. K

Thanks for the feedback guys. And I agree about the Borg Warner vs Dana T-case, I mis-spoke there... The part that amazes me about this CV joint, is that I can take it apart and put it back together fairly easily by sliding the carrier and ball bearings out the top. Is it possible I'm...
  3. K

I've searched these forums for a solution and I don't get the feeling that this issue has been reported here. I recently replaced the Dana 4405 T-case in my '97 Explorer Sport. When I took the old T-Case out, the CV joint on the front drive shaft came apart on me. So when I put the...
  4. K

CV Joint on front drive shaft question...

I don't have much experience with CV Joints (since I have not had to replace them in my '97 Explorer Sport), but I suspect that time has arrived. I recently swapped out my transfer case due to problems with the original one. When I was putting things back together, I noticed that the CV...
  5. K

brake job parts list order???

Yeah, we're getting some good representation for Upstate NY here... Good call on the additional stuff for the brake job.
  6. K

brake job parts list order???

I can't comment as to whether or not the parts list is 100% accurate, but I can tell you that I've gotten 195k miles out of mine by just changing the pads and rotors when necessary. The other day I noticed my brake lines were looking to be in need of replacing. In a nutshell, I agree with...
  7. K

Anybody know how to determine the year of an Explorer?

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip Iceman83! Seems like I should have known that...
  8. K

Anybody know how to determine the year of an Explorer?

I have to replace my transfer case in my '97 Sport (V6 OHV - 5sp manual), with a properly functioning unit. I was told that I can only use t-cases from 1996 & 1997 explorers because other years have either the wrong speed sensors or the wrong drive shaft configuraitons. After the recent...
  9. K

Is a BW 4405 from '99 Explorer compatible in a '97 Explorer?

Thanks for the quick reply Dan. Do you know of I can use the T-case from '95 thru '97 Rangers in my '97 Explorer? One more question: The T-case on my '97 is staying in 4H (won't automatically switch to 2wd) and I have the issue with the slipping/grinding when coasting down hill in gear...
  10. K

Is a BW 4405 from '99 Explorer compatible in a '97 Explorer?

First I'd like to say that I really appreciate the level of support this community puts forth to support eachother. I can usually find the answers to my questions here by reading other posts, but this one is pretty specific. I am in need of a Borg Warner 4405 transfer case for my 1997...
  11. K

96 explorer, only blows hot air

The "nail through the shaft" trick worked again Well, I'm another one with this issue on my 1997 Sport. On mine, the servo was fine, but the D-shaped hole in the blend door axle was cracked where they typically do. I agreed with David's statement when he said "unless you were smack on with...
  12. K

97 Ext explorer with a blend door problem?

Hi, I'm having the same trouble with my '97 Explorer Sport. Lucky for me, it's cold this time of year. Would you mind sending that info my way? thanks, Aaron
  13. K

How many type 194 bulbs are in the dash of a '97 Sport?

Thanks for the reply Lizard! I was thinking about buying the 194 LED bulbs, but now you've got me wondering if that's a good idea. Since my truck is already 8 years old, a new set of standard bulbs are most likely going to last the life of the vehicle. thanks again!
  14. K

How many type 194 bulbs are in the dash of a '97 Sport?

Hi, I've searched through the forums and I'm not finding the answer to this. Since I have a couple of dash lights out in the instrument cluster, I would like to replace all the bulbs in there, but I'm not sure of how many bulbs I'll need to accomplish this in my 1997 Explorer Sport. I see...
  15. K

Time to grease the Sport

Hey there 95XLT! Thanks for the info! I'll check back here to see if you post again on what the viscosity of the oil you use is. later, kidakat
  16. K

Time to grease the Sport

Hi and thanks for the feedback! I've got 89k on it. It's a 5 speed not an automatic so maybe there's some things to look into there. I haven't been under it for a close look yet, I just assumed that it would have grease fittings all over like my '84 Jeep CJ-7 does. Also, I will look into...
  17. K

Time to grease the Sport

Hi to all, I want to grease my drive-train in my '97 Sport and I'm not sure of what kind of grease to use. I've read that you shouldn't mix grease's of different "soap types" whatever that means. I don't know what is currently in there. Does anybody have any advise on that. Also, how many...
Back