Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

My odometer failed/froze and the mileage is stuck at 279,500. Even the trip odometer will not work. I estimate it actually about 283,x.., which is all on the original motor. The explorer is now sitting on the street awaiting a tow truck to take it to the graveyard in the sky. I donated it to...
  2. A

P0306, Again

I've been chasing a P0306 for a couple of weeks. This is on my daily driver 98 OHV with 278,000 on it on original motor. The misfire is worse on street driving, meaning there are bursts of misfires. On the highway, the misfires and fewer and more steady. Like 50 miles on the highway will be 200...
  3. A

Need to replace water pump. What else should I do?

When my original radiator finally went at 250,000, I replaced the WP at the same time since it's only a $40 part and there was space with the rad out.
  4. A

EGR Test Procedure

Yes, I wanted to check for obstructions so I'll probably have to remove it after the test either way.
  5. A

EGR Test Procedure

Is there a testing procedure for the EGR valve on the OHV? No CEL, but thinking after 19 years it's worth checking.
  6. A

Fuel Door Bumper

Anyone know if replacement fuel door bumpers are produced? You know, those rubber pegs that keep the fuel door from knocking. I cant seem to find them for these vehicles.
  7. A

Sway bar bracket bolt stripped How to fix?

Buy a new bushing kit for that side, like $8
  8. A

Any survivors able to comment?

I've only been in a minor fender bender in the explorer. It was stop and go traffic on the freeway and I rear ended a stopped dodge neon. The dodge hit the car in front of it first, came to an abrupt stop, and then I hit the neon. I fully braked and estimate I hit the neon around 10 to 15 mph...
  9. A

Mysterious Misfires

No notable coolant loss. The original radiator and water pump were replaced this past summer due to a hairline crack in the plastic side of the radiator. Misfire results from this morning's commute are: #1-0 #2-0 #3-1 #4-6 #5-70 #6-5 The 1 miss on #3 was unexpected. I will test compression...
  10. A

Mysterious Misfires

Could it be camshaft position sensor? I've never replaced it, and not sure where its located on the motor...so it would be an original part.
  11. A

Mysterious Misfires

I replaced the plugs and wires in August 2017 because I was getting misfires and a lean code/ CEL. Misfires stopp and CEL was reset and has not come back. The misfire came back in December 2017, no CEL. Since it had been over 100,000 miles since it was last done, I replaced the upper intake...
  12. A

Hard to move out of Park when cold

seized transmission neutral switch, which is what that shifter on the dash connects at the other end of the transmisson cable, would be my guess. it's not an expensive part to replace
  13. A

Fuel Injector Repair/Rebuild Kit

I'm going to replace the upper intake gasket this weekend and while I am at it I plan on pulling the injectors for service. Aside from cleaning and new orings, do our injectors have any other serviceable components? Filters/caps/bushings? I could not find any rebuild/repair kits online so I am...
  14. A

Target vacuum levels

Just wanted to check my vacuum levels to make sure they are normal. At hot idle in drive, the vacuum is in the 13-15 range and, staying in that gear, when I put the air conditioning on, it drops and remains steady at around 10-12. Too low?
  15. A

Tire recommendations

I have Bridgestones. They are an 80k tire. I have about 70k on them now and still plenty of tread and showing even wear. I usually buy whatever is on sale at Costco. Love their lifetime rotations and balance.
  16. A

2000 Explorer 4.0 OHV Overheating

Have you checked the radiator cap lately? If it's bad it will run hot.
  17. A

Intake leak please help running out of options

My rough idles issues always came down to - ignition coil, spark plugs, IAC, TPS, or MAF. And I almost never get a code/CEL, I can just feel that the idle is off from driving the car for so long. Cleaning these sensors has never helped once a problem has surfaced. It's good for maintenance but...
  18. A

No Headlights

Thanks. Kinda a pain to get to that switch but I believe you are correct about the switch... while I am in there might as well replace some of the dead bulbs. It's the 194 size for the instrument panel right???
  19. A

No Headlights

Hi Forumites, 1998 ford explorer... I have a problem with my lights. The headlights do not work. The turn signals, hazards, and parking lights work. The high beams will work if I pull back on the toggle/lever, but they will not work if I click them forward into place. The headlights do not work...
  20. A

1999 Explorer- stalls in reverse

Couple guesses. Could be an air/fuel issue associated with a vacuum leak or problem with the idle air control valve, throttle body position sensor, or mass air flow sensor. I've noticed that these sensors can give problems without throwing a check engine light for months. And their symptoms can...
  21. A

Seat Covers

Anyone recommend an inexpensive seat cover for the front buckets? Not looking to reupholster, just a pull over the top seat cover to last a year or two.
  22. A

Reliability of the 5 speed transmision in a 2000

I had my 5r55 rebuilt twice. Once at 140k and again at 240k. It has 250k on it now. I think that is way too early for a transmission. A light truck should go 150k-200k before a rebuild is needed. I shopped around and got $1600 for the second rebuild including hard parts TB, TC, and gears.
  23. A

130 amp Alternator

Is there any supporting modification that needs to be done to upgrade a 95a alt to a 130a alt?
  24. A

Front Seat is Toast

Damn that's a scary video. The seat is poorly made. I'm 260 but even 500+ the seat should not snap like that.
  25. A

1998 Xplor Driver Side Front Seat, Tan, Cloth, Not Powered

I'm looking for a replacement driver's seat. Looking for something in very good condition. I'm in Southern California. I not need the seat back.
Back