Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Blown Plug---2X, How Can I Fix

HeliCoil Kit Does the Job If anyone ever strips a plug, I can highly recommend the HeliCoil Kit. At first it seems a bit duanting, tapping a larger hole in your aluminum head, but once you get the balls to attempt it, it's as easy as pie. Almost fool proof. And a very complete remedy...
  2. C

Joe, Thanks for the reply. I am hoping the rethreader works, the plug is actually only catching on the first 2 threads going in, then I'm hitting the bad spot. I hope easing it a 1/4 turn in, then out, then another 1/4 I can get past the bad spot and allow the plug to seat...
  3. C

Well, looks like a couple of threads on the head are damaged. I popped into Autozone and grabbed a rethreader for $7, gonna slow with it, like I would a tap and die and see if I can get the plug to seat. I honestly don't think they are damaged to badly. Right now, the plug only goes in...
  4. C

That pesky plug under the passenger side wheel well, 2 weeks ago, somehow it worked itself free, plug bloken and fused to boot. Replaced it and thought I had the problem licked....today, it's out again, I was able to let the engine cool down enough to hand tighten and get back home. I'm...
  5. C

Loudest Noise from Engine/Exhaust

You know the sound the motor makes when a plug wire is off, multiply that by 10.....happened almost instantly, yesterday I heard a slight rattle, which I though to be an exhaust leak, meant to take it in this week and have all the gaskets checked. Driving around town today, all of the sudden...
  6. C

2001 Tune-up Top Ten Items

This is the link to the throttle body spacer on EBAY, anyone ever use one?? Worthwhile or not?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=330028880679&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT chris
  7. C

Which of the 70 series will fit the 2001?? And who has competitive pricing on it?? thanks, chris
  8. C

OK, I just ordered a MAC intake, I found a throttle body spacer on FleaBay for $65, any merit to adding this part??? Or is the $65 spent better else where?? How about exhaust, would a 70 series flowmaster give me any mileage gains?? Noticeable horsepower and obvious a bit more throaty...
  9. C

The ole Explorer has reached 118,00 miles, with relatively llittle problems except the IAC, which was swapped with a new. Other than the obvious plugs and wires, what would be the top ten other items I should look at replacing??? The only item not stock is a K&N air filter replacing the...
  10. C

Very Poor Idle/Sluggish Acceleration

Got the CEL code read, "Cylinder #4 misfire", put in a new plug, and for a few minutes, the problem seemed fixed, by now it's right back to where it was before. chris
  11. C

Correct, and the CEL came back on during a short trip at lunch. I'll stop agian and see if it can be read.
  12. C

Well, couple of observations from the drive in to work. Mileage seems extremely poor, 1/4 tank to 50 miles. Hesitation/skip is prevalant up to 2000 rpm, at highway speeds it seems to almost disappear, almost. Well, back to the drawing board. Any further help appreciated. chris
  13. C

I almost think the bad tank of gas could be the culprit, perhaps I jumped the gun. Does that actually happen. The tank was below a 1/4, so I filled it with the super good stuff and added a bottle of 104. Disonnected battery for a 1/2 hour, took for a test drive this morning, seemed better...
  14. C

Guys, Have done quite a bit of searching this issue and notice it seems it could be any one of a dozen fixes. I am trying to narrow it down to the 3 most likely culprits. Here's the scenario, driving to work today I notice a rough idle at stoplights, and in traffic, hmmm, odd. After I...
  15. C

Running very rich - running out of options

I'm having the same problem and seeing you guys stumble through all the possible fixes makes me wonder if perhaps this is one time where a trip to the dealership wouldn't be such a bad thing??? chris
  16. C

Low Idle/Rough Idle - Rough Acceleration

Chronic problem it seems.....Mine started thorwing the "check engine" code on the way to work this morning. rough at idle, sllightly sluggish during acceleration, under heavy acceleration light starts flashing till I slow down to 65. I swung by autozone to ahve the code checked, and they...
  17. C

Rough Starting 01

Somedays the old 01 just fires right up. Other times it hesitates, and when you let of the key and think it's going, she dies. Does this 2-4 times before it catches and runs fine. Battery not holding a charge?? Or being charged?? Any ideas appreciated. chris
  18. C

Why Not Stock Size??

Guys, I am looking for new tires and was wondering why not just go with the stock size for my 2001. In the 235/75/16's is was considering the Revo's, which on TireRack are exactly $100 each with a $75 rebate on 4. When I start checking larger sized tires the prices tend to jump way...
  19. C

Best Size REVO's for 2001

Thanks for the info. I came across these in my local Want Ad, 4 Bridgestone Winter Duelers 255/65R16. Brand new treads for short coin, any drawback to running this size tire?? chris
  20. C

Best Size REVO's for 2001

Hey guys, Looking for some quick help here. After much research I've decided to go with the Bridgestone Revo's for the truck. It was a close call with the BF Goodrich's, but the Revo's ability in the snow was to much to overlook being in New England. I am currently running some god...
  21. C

01 Keyless Entry

Recently bought a slightly used 01 XLT. Where on this vehicle is the computer that has the keyless entry code on it??? Any help appreciated. chris
  22. C

Flowmaster for 01

Looking for some quick help here. Checked a couple of online sources and couldn't find the Flowmaster Cat-Back for the 2001. Anyone have a specific part number or place to purchase???? thanks, chris
  23. C

2001 Aftermarket Upgrades

Who got that kind of cash lying around. I like the idea of the intake first and then the exhaust. My first thought is the Flowmaster with the 60 or 70 series muffler. I don't want it to sound like I'm ripping up the pavement, I just want to be able to do it. Then perhaps this Apten chip...
  24. C

Anyone have an approximate price for the APTEN Chip and best place to purchase. Never having worked on the 01 is the intake a basic install??
  25. C

That would help wouldn't it. It's the SOHC 4.0L V-6.
Back