Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

How to: Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs)

Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217008
  2. G

eBay is probably your best bet if you want more than just a few. If you need just a few, you can get them at RadioShack, but you will pay a lot more per item.
  3. G

LED strip wires burning?

Not quite true. While fusing them is a good idea if you are running them directly off the battery, fuses don't do anything to lower the current flowing unless the current exceeds the fuses rating. In that case it will just blow, and thus you will have 0 current. Also, a car battery is only...
  4. G

Interior Lighting Wiring Schematic

Well thats gonna be a tricky one to figure out. I don't have a schematic of the circuit they use for the compass, and I also don't have a scope, so it would be rather hard to diagnose. As best as I remember from when I was fooling around with this, the compass is all integrated in the overhead...
  5. G

If you are talking about the overhead console where the map lights are, then there are 2 screws in the rear compartment for a garage door opener/sunglasses. Below is a link to a pic of the overhead console taken apart. You can see the 2 screw holes on the left side...
  6. G

No way to just look at an LED and know what mcd they are. You would need to know the part # or have a datasheet on them. As for the 1k resistors: LED's are driven by current. Higher current = more light. White LED's typically have a forward bias voltage drop (ie when they are on) of about...
  7. G

If you use too large of a resistor the LED's will be dimmer. typical size for 12V application for white or blue is 470 ohms I believe. Larger than that and you're LED's will be dimmer. Smaller than that and you LED's will be brighter, with the risk of them burning out prematurely
  8. G

LED Rear Under Seat Lighting (PICs)

Check out a thread I started last summer when I was doing some wiring work on lights. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217008 If I'm not mistaken, you can use the black/blue wire to do this, but the lights would come on for more than just hitting the fob. They would come...
  9. G

How close have you been to running out of gas?

One night a year or so back, I was driving down the interstate doin about 75 or so, and the check gauge light comes on cause I'm sittin on E. Well, I figure I have about 20 miles left, so I let it go for a little while. I see an exit with a gas station so I take it. Luckily for me, it was one...
  10. G

Question on grinding LED's

I used a Dremel with the high speed cutter bit. Does it pretty quickly and easily if you have something to hold the LED with (or if you're careful use your hands like I did). But like these other guys said, sanding works just as well.
  11. G

Speaker recommendations?

If you want some good speakers and don't mind spending a little $$, check out Boston Acoustics SL80's. Several members have them and they are a great set of speakers. I have them in all four doors, powered by the Alpine MRP-F250. They sound great in my setup, can get uncomfortably loud without...
  12. G

I did a variant of this mod this past summer. I replaced all the interior lights with LEDs, although I put both blue and white in. I have it set up so that a rocker switch drives the coil of a DPDT relay to change between white and blue. Wiring was pretty tricky, and is actually still a work...
  13. G

New Explorer Concept revealed

Please tell us it looks better than that ...thing...
  14. G

Can someone PLEASE send me all the eletrical schematics for a 2000 XLS?

I'll do you one better. Check out this: http://search.ebscohost.com/Login.aspx?lp=login.asp&ref=&authtype=ip,uid User: rrcc Pass: rebsco I believe this was originally posted by brooklynbay, so the credit should go to him. This site has a lot of schematics and info on about any car out...
  15. G

My 2000 Explorer

Holy ****....Did you decide to toss a grenade down your intake?:shoot::eek:
  16. G

5R55S swap

So have you defeated this demon yet James? And would it have been possible to use a Mustang PCM so it had control of the tranny and then just tweak the engine variables to match that of your old? Just a thought, no clue if it would actually work or not :dunno:
  17. G

Top Speed In 08 Exploer EB V6

Yup. My 00 SOHC V6 does 107 and its pretty much stock performance wise. The spedo said 112ish, but my scangauge said 107. Scangauge is much more accurate :thumbsup:
  18. G

My 2000 Explorer

You ever put the 5.4 in there? I'm sure several on here would like to see how that install went
  19. G

04 Ranger Engine Swap

anyone have any insight on this?
  20. G

04 Ranger Engine Swap

well according to wikipedia, all 1997 and newer rangers use the 5R55E, so that should be a direct fit.... does anyone know about engine mounts, accessories, and any other things that might be different?
  21. G

04 Ranger Engine Swap

Will an 04 Ranger 4.0L SOHC swap into a 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC? From what I understand its pretty much the same engine, but will it bolt up to the 5R55E? I'm not sure what tranny the ranger runs. I just found this engine with 50k on it for cheap, so if anyone could let me know fairly quick b4...
  22. G

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

159k on my 2000. Never had any work done to it except for have the Tcase shif t motor replaced and normal wear and tear parts. Engine rebuild in the near future due to the timing chain issue.
  23. G

engine rattle 99' explorer Timing chain tensioners?

Check out this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163298 It should give you all you need to know.:thumbsup:
  24. G

Solved TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle

Is there anyway to do a VIN search and find out if a vehicle has had a TSB performed? I know you can do that for recalls, but I haven't seen anything about TSB's listed Also, would you recommend replacing just the problematic tensioner and guides, or should I pull the engine and get all...
  25. G

Need Help planning complete Engine teardown

You ever start this? I'm quite interested in this project, as I have thought about rebuilding my engine as well.
Back