Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Crap....Ignition is LOCKED!!! Help!!!

used my key pad to get in and the ignition key to start this morning and the ignition is locked. The key will not turn it either direction....it is in park...so I tried my other key..same deal. I know my fobs are acting up and I have to program them every once in a while, but this is the first...
  2. S

will it work?

In my vehicle I have the model with the cassette,single cd and 6 disk changer with the steering wheel controls...I need to replace it as the single cd is buggered and am wondering if I need to put the same one back in or can i use one without the cassette and just the single cd? Sorry I lost the...
  3. S

so, what's next? (repairs)

I have 207000kms now...on my 98. it's going in tomorrow to have the rear brakes/pads, rotors and both ebrake cables done..but the real kick in the teeth $ wise is the front upper and lower ball joints and control arms. Ouch. My mechanic (good guy,perfectionist and hard to work for because of...
  4. S

thinking of buying one

I am considering a 04 ish sport trac (or a full size f150 supercrew)to replace my explorer and am looking for some real world feedback on the sport trac... I like the xlt premium package but up here all I can get with that (04 models anyway) is the 4.10...I do a fair amount of highway travel...
  5. S

plugs and wires recommendations ( I did search!)

I have done a bunch of reading on a wack of posts on the topic but nothing really jumped out at me. Does anyone have a suggestion as to type of plugs and wires to get (ie. Bosch, NGK, Champion, Motorcraft etc) I am not sure if I can get autolite up here in Canada. I am also assuming that...
  6. S

front end rotational clunk

I've been up early researching and to no avail....last night in the next town away, heading home with the family and a truck load (birthday gifts and costco!) I hit the highway and a short time after getting to speed I started to get a prounced thumping....out of the front end..I thought I had a...
  7. S

stabilizer bar link and bolt replacement

I have to replace my driver's side stabilizer bar link and bolt...it's broken...or at least seperated at the top (the bolt is gone...sheared off) ...do i replace both sides or not worry too much about the other side if its intact? thanks...
  8. S

Which year and model to upgrade to...

I have a 98 ltd ex 6 cyl sohc w/4wd NOT awd that is getting a little long in the tooth and am considering moving newer...(as in 2002-2004ish). I am not sure if I should look for the 6 or 8 cyl variations...the awd...etc. Any feedback as to what to look for and avoid would be great! I don't plan...
  9. S

parking brake lights?

double checking... I wasn't sure if the module linked the brake lights...but the module appears to be fine...I had to lube the pin on the parking break switch before it was working properly, so now, so far so good. I must have misread some info somewhere on a search. thanks
  10. S

parking brake lights?

with the ignition "on", not started, are the rear parking/brake lights meant to come on? I have seen conflicting answers to this question, and is this different when the vehicle is running? This is all coming to a head after I replaced the daytime running light module, as the parking brake...
  11. S

how to replace the daytime running light module?

I have to replace the daytime running light module...the wire is easy to get at and unplug but the module itself looks like a PITA to get out..any ideas on an easy removal ???...or should I just use some self tapping sheetmetal screws and mount the new one where I can.
  12. S

removing the DRM

I have to replace the daytime running light module...the wire is easy to get at and unplug but the module itself looks like a PITA to get out..any ideas on an easy removal ???...or should I just use some self tapping sheetmetal screws and mount the new one where I can.
  13. S

location of daylight driving light module?

thanks for the pic...thanks for the confirmation...it is pretty much where/what I thought it was. cheers, P
  14. S

location of daylight driving light module?

I have a rough idea but if anybody could be a little more specific that would be great. I believe it is behind the drivers side bumper...in front of the wheel.
  15. S

99'explorer takes long time 2 start

non start... I had the same problem then my fuel pump died...no more problems since... I am not sure if that is something that can be checked, but if it can i would so you don't get stuck like I did!
  16. S

daytime lights running on full power highbeam

mfs? not sure what this is....but it could be the daytime running light module according to the dealer...but I am not sure where this is...
  17. S

daytime lights running on full power highbeam

I know that the daytime lights run off of the high beams but at lower power...now the high beam light indicator is on in the dash and they are at full power. this happens when the auto lamp is on and when i turn the headlights knob to on, the highbeam light goes off ...also after a while of...
  18. S

coolant smell in the cab

my mistake....to clarify the box is on the passenger side like yours but the hoses that I can see easily enter on the drivers side of the box (opposite of yours)....but the pic really helps so I know what to look for now. thanks!
  19. S

coolant smell in the cab

thanks for the pic...On mine I saw 2 hoses going in on the drivers side of the rectangular box (not sure what it's called) to the right of your hoses (my" box" is wrapped in heat foil) but I will look again. Is your valve the item on the engine side of the firewall and red hoses with a bit of...
  20. S

coolant smell in the cab

I can see where the two pipes go in but can't locate the valve?...unless I am blind!
  21. S

coolant smell in the cab

heater control valve... where is this located?
  22. S

coolant smell in the cab

Will do so...I actually just took out my summer mats and put the winters in and didn't notice anything but I will do a closer check....thanks for the tip.
  23. S

coolant smell in the cab

no fog... That is what I would expect but they are not fogging on me...
  24. S

coolant smell in the cab

Hi there...winter has hit hard and I have noticed a few times that when the heater is on (climate control/automatic) I am getting a pretty good wiff of coolant inside my cab. I have no leaks that I can see....coolant level appears ok. Is this the first signs my heater core is going kaput?
  25. S

fuel pump just died...what's next?

the next things I replaced the passenger side wheel bearings a while ago...plugs at the recommended service interval and all the fluids (t-case, tranny etc at 99 and 150k ish). I am pretty sure it was the pump...my mechanic is someone I trust (excellent reputation in a small town) and he said...
Back