Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Anyone in PA?

Got it. thanks for the advice. I'd hate to have my wheel pass me going down the road. I bet that would suck, huh Jeff :)
  2. R

Anyone in PA?

Jeff, I did not replace the tires. I did rotate them so now the front are on the rear. I'll look at pulling the axles and removing the front shaft. If not, you'll be seeing a for sale thread soon. ~Rick~
  3. R

Anyone in PA?

as the wheel turns ... The ball joints have been replaced and the front end aligned and the noise is still there ! It's not as bad as it was but, IT'S STILL THERE :( I pulled both axles out and they look fine. Not worn, you can still see the machine marks on the splines. Both hubs looked...
  4. R

Anyone in PA?

Thanks reakon. I had Jdraper take a look last weekend and I should know the outcome later today. I switched out all all upper and lower ball joints. I took it for an aligment this morning. so - when I pick it up after work, I'll know if it's fixed or not. Don't worry, somethings always wrong...
  5. R

Anyone in PA?

I'll do that. The last time I swapped out a front wheel bearing it did not effect the feel/noise in the fron end. SO even though there is a little play in the bearing again, I don't think that it's the entire problem.
  6. R

Anyone in PA?

Thanks Jeff, that would be great. I sent you a message.
  7. R

Anyone in PA?

UPDATE: Tonight I pulled both front wheels to check out the cv boots/joints. everything looked good. No tears in the boots, no grease leaking, nothing was loose. The drivers side wheel bearing ws a little loose. Maybe this is the cause or at least part of the cause. I have replaced both...
  8. R

Seat belt doesn't click

way to go Alan. If your Ex is like mine, you'll have something else that needs to be fixed very soon. :)
  9. R

Seat belt doesn't click

I just started taking out screws & bolts til it came out. There was one part that "snaps" out. You have to remove some fasteners from under the inside of the armrest too.
  10. R

Anyone in PA?

I haven't replaced tie rods and didn't look at the cv boots/joint. 'll check them oput tonight. I'm headed to Pittsburgh sometime this week. Maybe something will give on the roadtrip :(
  11. R

Anyone in PA?

no, I've had the noise for 3 years. Since no one could figure out what it was, I was waiting to see what would break. Now the noise seems to be getting more noticeable.
  12. R

Seat belt doesn't click

I took out the console. The seats aren't that hard to remove but, I wanted to do some cleaning while I had the console out. Either way will help with the installation.
  13. R

Anyone in PA?

yes, I've had new tires, balanced, rotated and aligned. I don't feel anything in the brakes at all. Yes, it's 4wd. I had the tranfer case rebuilt a few months ago. I'll have to look into the cv joints. How can you tell if they're bad or going bad? Everyone that hears the noise thinks it...
  14. R

Anyone in PA?

Lizard, the noise is in the front. There is no pulsing in the pedal the brakes and rotors are all fine. I've changed out both of the front wheel bearings and upper and lower ball joints. The noise does not change when you step on the brakes. It's most noticable at 30-40 mph. at higher...
  15. R

Anyone in PA?

I've been having a problem for a few years now and it's just now beginning to get worse. See old thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106399 Is there anyone in PA (near Altoona) that would like to help me diagnose this problem? My ex is getting to the point where...
  16. R

2002 Nissan Xterra wheel bearing

Thanks for the responses. He has looked at the Nissan & Xterra site. it's an IRS. He got it fixed. He had to get a bearing for a Pathfinder, the xterra part was too small. I hope that this isn't too common for replacement parts. He had to try 3 bearings until he found one that fit.
  17. R

What's this sound?....

I had that same noise in my 96. The garage thought that it was my catalytic converter but, it ended up being my flywheel fgoing bad. Check that out.
  18. R

2002 Nissan Xterra wheel bearing

My son has a 2002 Nissan Xterra and needs to change a rear wheel bearing. Does anyone have experience in doing this? Thanks ~Rick~
  19. R

Seat belt doesn't click

I replaced mine about 3 months ago. I removed the center console to get easier access and took advantage of the removal to clean all the nooks and crannies of the console.
  20. R

Transfer Case - cross reference

OK, my transmision mechanic looked at this today and put in a total rebuild for $500. Sounded like a good price to me? Or not?
  21. R

Thanks but right now I'm not looking to go manual.. Are there any other tranfer cases that will bolt up or do I have to use another BW4405?
  22. R

I have a 96 4.0 with a BW 4405 electric transfer case. Are any other transfer cases able to be used with my vehicle? I need to replace it and wanted to know what my options are while I'm looking for another transfer case. Thanks.
  23. R

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

After checking out the motor, it looks fine, even the bushing. It moves when the switch is moved so I must have another problem going on. Back to troubleshooting!
  24. R

Thanks Shamal. I'll check things out onoce the motor is out. I'll get the gas line and replace the bushing since I'll have it apart anyways.
  25. R

Hey I am pulling the shift motor this weekend. I can hear it turning when I shift into 4 Hi and 4 Low but it doesn't engage. I am hoping that it's just the bushing that goes crappy on the inside. I was wondering, what size rubber hose does everyone use that has replaced that bushing before...
Back