Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Front Hub Tooth Count (ABS)

Thanks! It looks like 54 pulses per rev; half of the rear axle tooth count... Makes sense.
  2. M

Someone must have this knowledge somewhere...
  3. M

Does anyone know the front hub tooth count for a 1998 Explorer 4WD? I'm basically using a hub as a tachometer and I am getting 55 pulses/rev. It would be nice if it were really 60 since that would convert Hz directly to RPM. Can anyone confirm with one taken apart? I'm afraid to pull out the...
  4. M

Diesel Conversion anyone?

My last tank was 34mpg. I've also prevented about 2000lb of CO2 from entering the atmosphere. That's in 5000 miles.
  5. M

Diesel Conversion anyone?

I used a cummins B3.3 and I got 32MPG my last tank. 2" Body lift but other than that all stock. I have a section dedicated to it on my website at www.mooktank.com.
  6. M

Class III Hitch for 1995 Explorer w/2" body lift

A factory hitch would just be too boring so I built one: http://mooktank.com/?p=274 It cost about $80.
  7. M

HOW TO: Center Axle Disconnect (CAD) Cable Shift

Well after my CAD would not work with the vacuum switch due to some combinations of the fact I have a diesel engine and a Jeep NP231 transfer case I locked the CAD permanently. After driving with it for a while I decided I didn’t like the noise and the added inertial and frictional losses are...
  8. M

Body lift bumper bracket --make your own

circular linkage?
  9. M

Absolute Must Read!!!

I was just about to post a thread myself. Thanks for the props! I just put a bunch of new pictures on the site including this one: I'm joining elite explorers today in hopes I can sell my OTHER explorer (V8 w/NP205) Enjoy! Hopefully I can hit 35mpg and inspire some more swaps!
  10. M

Center Axle Disconnect: How does it work?

For the record, I fixed that today with a file. A nice positive rake with the engine running and the grooves are gone. Who needs a lathe when you have an engine mounted in the truck. An "engine lathe" per se. lol. I jacked up the front end and rechecked today. The axle halves are definitely...
  11. M

Thanks for the compliment. Yes I'm aware of the pulley issue. It's already starting to make the belt look not so good. I planned on turning off the ribs asap but if there's a place to get a pulley the same diameter and same bearing but smooth I'm all ears (or eyes).
  12. M

What about shifting it with compressed air? I'm thinking maybe a cable shift but for now a set screw or something to keep it locked full time until I have time to make a cable shifter.
  13. M

t-case trouble 96 awd explorer

Time for an NP205... Or a new 4404
  14. M

Something is up with it. When I turn my switch to 4x4 I can hear something move and when I put it back to 2wd the vacuum pump runs for a second. I'm pretty sure that means the solenoids are working and I'm guessing there is not enough vacuum to move the actuator. Either that or there is...
  15. M

As soon as I'm completely finished I plan on doing a full writeup with mileage calcs etc. I will post it up here for sure. In the meantime my website has pics of the construction phase, etc.
  16. M

Thanks guys that thread looks like it has some good info! I guess I will just try to see if my little vacuum pump will be enough to actuate the CAD. I like the fact that a lunchbox locker can go in there without issues.
  17. M

Smart guys: What is the output signal from the Tcase speed sensor?

Solved! Okay, I solved this issue and thought I'd post up the knowledge... The jeep speedometer spins at the same ratio as the ford. All I had to do was machine this adapter from Nylon to mate the two together. If you notice the small square male part of the explorer sensor fits right into...
  18. M

Ok so I finished putting my cummins b3.3 engine in my explorer. I'm using a jeep AX-15 transmission and np231 tcase. My explorer is a 1995 with the CAD vacuum disconnect. Right now I'm running a tiny vacuum pump for running my HVAC controls. I'm trying to get my 4x4 working. I have a manual...
  19. M

Ohhh I gotcha now. I was looking at the tcase I had on my old 97 sport with a 4.0 and the control trac case and it didn't have a gear on it. Do the 95s have gears? If so, I should be in business as I know I can get the jeep case to turn that gear.
  20. M

Right... but I'm not changing the rear end so gear ratio is technically not changing. I'm assuming the output is at least fairly linear? I can't just slap the 95 ex sensor into the jeep case there are no magnets there for the hall effect to work unless I implanted the magnets on the...
  21. M

I'm ripping out the entire driveline from a '95 sport and replacing it with a Cummins B3.3, AX-15, and NP231. I was wondering what the voltage output would be from the speed sensor in the tcase. There are three wires correct? Supply power, ground, and signal? The jeep Tcase has the same 3...
  22. M

adding remote keyless entry

Yeah I guess I could use aftermarket but I would like to use Ford stuff.
  23. M

adding remote keyless entry

I have the same question except mine is a 1997 sport. I have power locks but no panel on the door. I looked at my 97 v8 and there's what I think is the RAP module in the back panel near the jack. My sport only has a wiring harness back there plugged into some black terminal plug. Do I have a...
  24. M

4404 Whining?

I have a 97 AWD 5.0 exploder and there is a constant whine while driving. Before I bought the truck I knew the thing drove weird and would clunk around when turning. I took off the front d-shaft and it drives fine it's just that there's a bad whine when moving. I jacked it up today, took off...
Back