Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Solved Anyone ever experience vibration that fades in and out

Sorry it took a while to get back to you guys, but wanted to let you know that I found the problem. It was the tires! Which kind of confirmed RangerNutt's "reciprocating unbalance" post, among others. We looked at the front suspension since doing all that work and concluding there were no...
  2. A

Ok that could be. Is this something that could develop over time or is most likely they out of round when I bought them. Now that I think about it, I recently rotated them for the first time since I bought them and may have started to feel it after. I did do a road force balance but it didn't...
  3. A

If it was a drive shaft I would think I would feel it in the floor, dash and everywhere. But I'm only feeling it in the steering wheel. I think it's more front end issue.
  4. A

Ok thanks, I guess a tire can go out of round after a while, I'll check them but they are barely a year old with 5k miles on them. Cooper Evolution HT. And would that cause vibration to fade in and out while at the same constant speed?
  5. A

Well I don't hear any noise. I've had bad bearings and know what that sounds like. That was why I did all 4 hubs last year because of a bad front and a bad rear bearing. I did use moog parts which I believe are quality parts. When traveling down the highway and going into a curve I do notice...
  6. A

03 Ford Explorer V8 I bought new and now has 145K miles. The engine and tranny run fine, burns no oil and no slipping. Last year I replaced all 4 hubs, all 4 axle shafts / CV Joints, Springs / Shocks, 4 new wheels / Tires (Factory OEM wheels refinished), Plugs and wires, trans service, transfer...
  7. A

How many blend door actuators are there?

Ok so it's fixed and it wasn't what I thought it was. I started having doubts when I ran the diagnostic test and everything seemed to work ok. At times I thought I was hearing a clicking sound but it was never as loud as what I heard in the videos. Last week I had the shop service the AC but it...
  8. A

Thanks for the tip but these days my back limits me on what I can do. I don't mind paying my local shop to do it as long as it's reasonable. I just like having the facts straight before I have them tell me what they think the problem is.
  9. A

So I talked to the shop today and they agreed that the driver's is not a 7 hour job and quoted me 2.5 which I guess is reasonable. But he went on to say that he was showing me the time for the "main" blend door. Is he referring to the passenger side or is there another door? Just to recap, I...
  10. A

So just steering column cover, center stack and center console, which from the videos can all be removed easily. Oh Im definitely challenging their 7 hour estimate. I know how they work, charge what the book says, even if it only takes a fraction of the time. I'll check around, this is a fairly...
  11. A

I took a look at that manual .pdf you attached and it seems lts telling you to take out the whole dash. The videos tell you to just take out the center console, center stack except the radio and remove braces on each side. Like you said it only looks like a couple hours work, maybe 4 hours total...
  12. A

I've seen those but nothing with Automatic controls. The $700 he quoted was for labor so it's $700 + parts. You think that's bad, the Ford dealer quoted me $1450. My local guy is calling me back at the end of the week for a firm quote parts and labor. We'll see where he's at and try to talk him...
  13. A

Replacing Alloys with Spares - Center Bore Question

I had the same issue with my 03 Limited chrome clad wheels. Corrosion gets under the chrome and it get's worse from there, including not being able to seal. Just go with OEM reconditioned and you should be fine.
  14. A

Hi folks, It's been a while since I've been on these forums, hope all of you are well. A few years back I decided to keep my 03 4x4 limited V8 and glad I did. I just couldn't sell it, for lot's of reasons. Great SUV but not without it's share of problems. Before I get to my question, I'll just...
  15. A

Live Stream of 2020 Ford Explorer Reveal

Dashboard is OK. Like most I don't care for the 10" screen. Also what is with the gear shifters turning into knobs. This is a trend I don't care for.
  16. A

Replacement Audio for 2003 Explorer

That is a nice unit...if anyone's interested ebay has them new for $304 with a wiring harness.
  17. A

Front Sway Bar Bushings: Which Ones?

anyone have the moog PN for the rears. I believe they should be 21mm....Thanks
  18. A

I think 2010 was the last year and there was a v8 available, with better gas mileage and power than the earlier V8 (like mine)...I really liked this body style. I looked at the 2011, the new body style does nothing for me. More of a minivan on steroids than a SUV. Can't tow anything bigger...
  19. A

It's inside the radio but it's a separate unit...It's attached to the top of the radio. When you pull out the radio you undo a few screws and separate the CD changer from the radio. It's very easy to do. Here's a link on how to separate...
  20. A

You don't have to replace the entire radio you can buy just the 6-CD changer and replacing it is easy. I did mine last year. I think i bought it off eBay. Still works good.
  21. A

For anyone looking to replace struts

Probably not - especially if lower mount bolts are frozen. But on the other hand I think Sears techs are paid hourly not flat rate. BTW - I think the $40 rate only applies to a quick strut setup.
  22. A

For anyone looking to replace struts

Sears is having an install sale at $40 a strut and you can bring your own. I bought mine of ebay and Sears installed today. $40 a strut to install is a bargain.
Back