Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Explorer shakes at 60mph

AlaskanJack - Since your X is lifted, another thing to check is the u-joint operating angles.
  2. S

1st Gen Cruise Control Works Intermittently

A few months ago when I replaced the speedo drive gear, I checked the VSS, and it seems to be working. I should pull the codes just to make sure. It's pretty possible the servo is going bad, I guess. I don't know how to test it, though. I guess I could give it a good whack and then drive it...
  3. S

1st Gen Cruise Control Works Intermittently

I have a 94 X with a 5spd manual tranny.. 148,000 miles on the clock. Cruise control works sometimes. If the X has been siting for a while, even as little as 1 week, the cruise will stop working. Once I drive it for a while on a daily basis, it will start working again. I checked the hoses on...
  4. S

Hard to get 5spd in gear - slave cyl or tranny?

I have heard from several sources that the slave cyls typically go bad, so I'm not very surprised. Mine's not yet to the point of having to do the job this week, but it will be soon. I have decided to keep my X for at least one more year, so I'm going to fix it soon. In about a month, I should...
  5. S

Can a slave cylinder be going bad without leaking fluid? My fluid level is great, but sometimes it seems like it doesn't fully disengage at stop lights, etc.
  6. S

Thx.. just also remembered that sometimes on what appears to be flat ground, the X will roll very slightly with the clutch in. However, I'm not sure the ground is 100% flat when that happens, so I'm not sure. I need to quit being lazy and put the rear on jack stands and do a few tests. Thanks...
  7. S

Ok, my 94 X Sport has the 5spd mazda tranny and there's 148,x.. miles on the engine and tranny. Over the last year, it has gotten harder to get it into 1st gear from neutral when I'm stopped. If the X is rolling, even slightly, it'll go into 1st pretty easily. Also, if I move it up almost into...
  8. S

Questions on the pinion crush sleeve

This past weekend I was doing my 2nd gear swap on the Mustang. The only problem I ran into was getting the crush sleeve torqued correctly. I have read on a few gear swap sites that it will take around 140 ft/lbs to crush the sleeve, and then it takes a very minimal amount past that to get the...
  9. S

Stuck Ignition Lock Cyl on 88 F150

I have an 88 F150 with a stuck ignition lock cylinder. The key goes in, (not smooth entry, but it does go all the way in), but will not turn to start or accessory. I know it it supposed to be in start in order to remove and replace, but how do I get the lock cylinder out when it is stuck in the...
  10. S

I need help with my 1993 Aerostar van oil pan gasket.

checkedout - thanks for the info, I appreciate that. Hopefully I can reach and loosen the front 4 or 6 bolts and maybe that will be enough to slide the gasket back in.
  11. S

It is a 93. I thought about loosening the bolts a bit, but I can only see 2 in the front. I'm not sure those two would loosen it up enough to get it back in there. I might give it another look, tho, and see if I can get to more bolts.
  12. S

Dad's van has been leaking oil like crazy. Today I finally got a chance to look at it. Took me 15 seconds to find the leak lol The oil pan gasket right under the crank in the front has slid forward and is about 97% out! Is there an easy way to fix this? I know my 2.3 engine has a crank cover...
  13. S

Out of ideas on F150 hydraulic clutch - Won't bleed

I just got mine fixed.. There was a large air bubble in the slave that the vaccuum pump took care of, but that still didn't really get it. Then I found the main problem - the rubber diaphram in the master cylinder! I felt like a retard once I saw that piece. I removed the diaphram and then it...
  14. S

Out of ideas on F150 hydraulic clutch - Won't bleed

Just replaced the clutch on my boss's truck because his slave cylinder was bad. I got everything back together, all ready to go except for bleeding the clutch. According to the directions, it looks pretty simple. Says to pump clutch 15-20 times, then open SC bleed screw to allow any air to...
  15. S

Limited slip to Traction Lok swap question

The tibird carrier does have 28 splines, so it won't work. EDIT: oops.. I guess I should check the date on threads before I reply, huh? I found this one during a search. I feel like a dumbass now.
  16. S

Improving a 94 Sport suspension

Cool, thanks a lot for the info. I'll check into that stuff.
  17. S

Improving a 94 Sport suspension

I have a 94 2wd Sport.. I'm tired of getting seasick when making a turn. What are my options in reducing body roll? I had heard somewhere that I could put on XLT leafs or something like that, but I haven't found very many details on that. I'm mainly looking for inexpensive or junkyard upgrades...
  18. S

Explorer shakes at 60mph

The shakes started on the day that I got the rotors turned, put on new pads, and replaced the radius arm bushings. I'm also wondering about the wheelbearings. Soon I hope to check them... now that I have access to a ft-lbs and in-lbs torque wrenches, I can be confident that I have them in spec...
  19. S

Explorer shakes at 60mph

My X shakes like a **** at about 62 to 69, and it's especially bad on right had curves at that speed. My X is a 5spd.. when going around a right hand curve, the stick shakes violently. Yesterday I tried to hold hold the stil still, but I couldn't. I felt it being forced to move from the base of...
  20. S

Front wheel bearing preload nut torque specs

Thanks.. I guess I just overlooked that in my manual.. My X is a 2wd, but I guess the specs would be the same? Thanks
  21. S

Front wheel bearing preload nut torque specs

What is the correct torque for the front wheel bearing preload nut? I didn't see it in my Haynes.. My X violently shakes on the highway from 62 to 69mph. I was going to check the wheelbearings to start eliminating things. They don't feel loose, but it won't hurt to check 'm over and do it right...
  22. S

Help with ignition lock cyl replacement (yes, I searched)

I finally got it in.. I ended up filing a lot of the lock cyl itselt, and a little bit inside the casing on the column. It's still a very tight fit, but it went in and everything works. I'm still not quite sure what happened, but at least I finally got it finished! Thanks for the replies...
  23. S

I don't think it's possible to have it 180 off. The splines on the lock cyl body will only fit into the column one way, and the pin will only go in when the cyl is turned to one certain position. I have looked in the outer casing, but I don't see anything that would be causing a problem. It's...
  24. S

Ok.. i just messed with it a little more. There is only one position on the new lock cyl that the pin will depress.. I assume this is the only position that it's possible to slide in the column. The new lock cyl only goes in about 0.25 inches. It doesn't get anywhere near where the shaft on the...
  25. S

The old one was very slack and had a lot of play. I'll check that about the positions.
Back