Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Solved TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle

oh and to clarify about the clearence issues some were worried about. I wish i could have video taped the process. There wasnt any! I slid the lower sprocket and chain in and once i loosely fastened the lower gear, i slid the cassette in with no problem what so ever. The trickiest part was...
  2. M

:rolleyes: not to start an arguement here but... I strongly disagree that the engine "has to be removed" to do the RH cassette! Im no ford tech... hell... i personally dont like working on fords but i just did this and there was absolutely no reason to remove the engine on this 98 that i just...
  3. M

Anyone who has replaced the RH Cassette

Anyone who wants\has replaced the RH Cassette UPDATED PICS! Can anyone please tell me a part number for that Rear Jackshaft Plug?? I couldnt find it on microfishce and neither myself or the dealer could find it on the dealers computer either. Thanks in advance!:salute: 03/08/08 - Finally...
  4. M

thanks Don.. but i already have that part number. Its some kind of spacer.
  5. M

The access plug wasnt a biggy once the trans\flywheel were out. Im more concerned on whether or not im going to be able to get that guide and cassette back in. It was broke so getting the old stuff out was easy bc nothing was full length. lol Ill try and snap some pics tonight and post them...
  6. M

4.0 Sohc Rebuild In Progess! Pics

one more thing... anyone ever get a part number for that plug in the back of the block that covers the lower jackshaft gear? Anyone know if it comes with the RH cassette kit since it has to be removed?
  7. M

:rolleyes: Well.. i went to finish mine up and time it.... low & behold... right guide is in pieces so im having to replace that. I have the trans out and rh cassette. Now i just need to order the new set and see how im gonna get the new guide in without removing the engine at all. lol
  8. M

4.0 Sohc Rebuild In Progess! Pics

Where were those parts bought at? Dealers here in MI couldnt touch those prices!
  9. M

Timing the 4.0 SOHC (98 Explorer)

thanks for all the info. Ill post back next week when i start it.
  10. M

Is it correct to say that i definately have to time the RH cam too? I was hoping i wouldnt have to mess with it since the cam gear is at the rear of the engine. If i understand you correctly, im going to set the engine at TDC, remove the balancer, lock the cam on either side, remove the...
  11. M

oh and you mentioned the cams move on there own? Are you saying they will rotate where they need to be when i lossen the cam gear bolt?
  12. M

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I cant believe the setup Ford put into this thing but thats an on-going complaint im sure. This whole procedure is just confusing for some reason. Now.. you said to set the engine at TDC.. then replace the jackshaft items. Are you referring to the Primary...
  13. M

I have a question guys. I have Ford's process on timing this engine and the tool set on the way. I just dont understand it all. Theres no timing marks or anything so im lost as to how it is suppose to be timed. This is the first engine that didnt have marks and slots on the gears and so forth...
  14. M

Hello Explorer Forum!

Hows it going everyone. I just picked up a 98 with the nitorious 4.0 SOHC. Anyhow.. ive found all kinds of great info on this truck at this site. Great Stuff!!
Back