Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

3rd gen pic's

Nice! I too have an '02 black XLS. I don't see black XLSes that often...
  2. H

3rd gen pic's

Nice! I too have an '02 black XLS. I don't see black XLSes that often...
  3. H

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas. :)
  4. H

180,000 and going strong!

great! I like seeing older cars still working well. I have 145kmi on my '02. Still has untouched timing chains and original transmission.
  5. H

Loose wheels, side to side play, but tie rod ends solid as a rock?

Hello. Check your wheel bearings. Sounds like your wheel bearings are bad.
  6. H

3rd gen success story

its a Westin model. I picked it up new off of Craig's list years ago. I've used it maybe just a couple times to push disabled cars slowly. For this purpose it works well. Otherwise I just like it for aesthetics.
  7. H

3rd gen success story

Thanks.
  8. H

clean 1993

I'm just going to leave this here. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ford-explorer-classic-low/6329578452.html was just browsing on CL and then all of a sudden came across this. So who's going to take one for the team and snatch this up?
  9. H

3rd gen success story

Hi all, I just wanted to post a semi-seccuess story for my 2002 explorer. It just turned over 140kmiles with no major work done on the transmission or engine. READ: transmission is original, timing chains untouched and still going great, original rear diff. I've owned this explorer since 2007...
  10. H

V6 Explorer timing tool kit. Otc 6488.

Hi Dazzan, I can't help you with this, but I just dropped by to say that I've read a lot of posts of people buying aftermarket/no-name brand chains and tensioners only to have to replace them again a year later. The Ford tensioner kits appear to to be of the best quality. best of luck...
  11. H

How to install cabin air filter [PICTURES]

Even though I'm not active on this forum anymore, I still own and daily drive this explorer after all this time. I wanted to come back to post that I have found a factory cabin filter that fits the dimensions for this mod exactly! The filter is for a BMW 3 series I believe. I am now using a WIX...
  12. H

How to install cabin air filter [PICTURES]

I'm glad this has helped other people. I'm not sure about if this works on other gens as well.
  13. H

How long did your Servo Bore "O-Ring Fix" last

I did mine around 100k miles, I now have 134k miles and no issues. The servo fix was definitely worth it.
  14. H

How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS

Hello, I have never looked at the columns in the second gens before, but I doubt it though.
  15. H

Build thread - Skyforger

cool build, KE5CAT here.
  16. H

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

hmmm... it appears that I am the only one who's original blend door actuator has not failed? '02 w/ 122kmiles. -mike
  17. H

5r55e rebuild - first fluid change?

always better to do it sooner than later.
  18. H

pros and cons 4.0 vs 5.0

Keep in mind that the SOHC has the same power as the 5.0 in stock form. When towing on the highway power is all that matters (HP=torque*speed)- so the point is mute here. I've have a SOHC in my '02 3rd gen explorer for a while now and have never had to do anything to it other than a couple oil...
  19. H

Rust to Riches, Blue's 98 Ranger

cool work:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  20. H

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

'02 XLS V6 Explorer. 120k miles. haven't had to take the transmission out yet. -all wheel bearings -front ball joints twice -AC compressor now seized -blend door actuator -valave cover gasket twice -rear left window regulator -oil filter mount gasket -passenger window regulator just...
  21. H

More Engine Noise...

the injectors on these engine have always been loud as well. I seem to hear more of the injectors than anything. You sure you have a chain noise. Hard to tell from the video for me...
  22. H

How to: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair

wow, thanks for the writeup. 118k miles on my '02 SOHC with no problems so far.
  23. H

Mystery pin found in 5R55E pan. (Calling trans gurus!)

I believe it sits vertically, just on the inside of the transmission pan gasket. I believe it goes right where the PRNDL input shaft goes into the transmission. I think it seats into a groove in this shaft to keep the PRNDL shaft from popping out.
  24. H

2002 4.0L V6 valve cover gasket replacement and TIPS!

I think I'll apply a bead of silicon on the outside perimeter of the valve cover gasket this time to double seal it. Think this would be a good idea?
Back