Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Maxtrac 2wd front coil rate 1998-2010 -4 cyl and v6

I will update here if I try these coils. Most likely I will pass. It's only a theoretical build on a 2wd duratec ranger at this time. Don't need a lift for big tires as it probably wouldn't even be running anything taller than a 27.5" or 28", or maybe 30" maximum tall tire. Production class...
  2. R

Welp-1100 lbs per spring it is..... Here is their answer to me questioning that rate as being insanely high: “Mike, That is correct. They are 1100 lbs/in. The lift of our coils is derived from a firmer rate, not from a longer coil. Longer coils are very difficult and unsafe to...
  3. R

Since fabtech did a different kit for the 4.0, I was curious if the Spring rate for the bigger 4.0 was closer to the rate Maxtrac quoted me. Nope! I emailed them again for that info and this was their response: “No problem, they are actually the same spring rate except the 4.0 version is...
  4. R

Also, I know Fabtech has kind of a crappy reputation, but just to compare, since they came to mind-I wondered what their rate was on their coils,for the same application. Shot them out an email this morning and they already answered me. The kit I inquired about is a 2.5” 2wd front kit with...
  5. R

Also if anybody can actually confirm other brands front coil rates, and/or stock rates as well, this would help.
  6. R

Yeah OK, something is seriously wrong with that answer. My first reaction was 1100 pounds? WTF? But I don’t have a ranger or explorer yet. I know the springs are mounted somewhat inboard on the arm, but I was thinking that seems crazy stiff, even considering motion ratio. I know you can’t...
  7. R

I emailed Maxtrac to Ask them their front spring rate, and the difference between the four-cylinder and the V6 2 inch lift coils. This a copy and paste of the email they sent back to me. Just in case anybody could use this info. I must admit the rate was quite a bit higher than I expected...
  8. R

Automatic to manual

Wow great links! Thanks so much for those. And ice racing and rally cross action too! Love the 4404 info, as I don’t know much about those. They look dead simple inside. I’ve only rebuilt a few ransfer cases in my life. NP203, NP205(Including the one in my power wagon), and I think I did a...
  9. R

Lift installed

That doesn’t sound too good! I forget what the difference is between the silver 5100 Bilstein and the yellow b4 “HD”. I thought just the finish? But yes, I was leaning toward fox as well. Plus on most apps, they are upgradable to remote reservoir and or adjustability. And rebuildable...
  10. R

Automatic to manual

True. And if we could squeeze a five speed manual between the 4406 and the 5.0, Then all would be right in the world :-) But since this is going to be a low budget craigslist beater(at least to start with), probably none of the above is going to happen. But for a four wheeler, for sure the...
  11. R

Automatic to manual

Sounds good. So the 5.0’s viscous coupling awd transfer case can take some abuse? I am glad to hear that. I can’t find it now-where somebody was talking about not using it for any kind of racing even short term. We have a local “run what u brung” off road short course time trial that’s been...
  12. R

Lift installed

Funny thing about Rancho shocks. I sold boatloads of them, back when I worked at 4 Wheel parts in the 90s. Sold a ton of 5000,and 9000’s as well. I always thought I would end up with a set of 9000’s on something but never did. My old school F 100 big Block pre-runner had double Doetsch-Tech...
  13. R

Automatic to manual

Thanks! Autotragics have their place, just not in my stable. Our family has three vehicles and none of them are automatics. Considering a couple different projects right now, and I’m looking at the manual trans Rangers, and 5.0 explorers. Probably 2wd on both. Was considering AWD on the 5.0...
  14. R

Lift installed

What you say is true. You are not adding travel. However, when you lift and don’t change the shock length, your static suspension position is closer to topping the shock out. And on explorers and Rangers, this can affect the ride. Full droop is a good thing. Of course if you are 4WD then you...
  15. R

4wd into 2wd

Is there a problem with something in your four-wheel-drive system? Or are you just trying to make your truck lighter or more simple? Since your year came in both 4WD and 2WD, Certainly deleting some of your parts, along with the substitution of some 2wd Exp boneyard parts and/or driveshaft...
  16. R

Automatic to manual

I am curious -do we have anybody here that is running a 5.0 2nd gen explorer with a manual trans behind it? Anyone?
  17. R

Lift installed

Yes, it would be nice if somebody would post up currently available(2019)proper off-road shocks, that are slightly longer -for people who are doing a torsion twist. To get more droop and a better ride. I know there used to be a Rancho front, 5000 series, that I find mentioned on older threads...
  18. R

Automatic to manual

I am a newbie here, so someone correct me if I’m wrong, but since your 2000 year model truck was available from the factory as a manual transmission, all the parts you need should be theoretically available from the bone Yard. Although in my neck of the woods, finding manual transmission...
  19. R

2nd Gen Front Diff Swap

Speaking of Dixon Brothers racing, does anybody have a working link to that business? Because I can’t find one, not even a Facebook page. Are they out of business, or just forgot to pay their website server? ..
  20. R

1998 and newer regular cab work for me? With a cage? 6’5”

Thanks! Yes I would be using FIA approved race seats appropriate for rally. Mounted low! Wish I could sit in a regular cab that did not have factory seat mounts and factory seats,but race seats mounted lower. I know I could daily drive one, even with a regular cab, but adding a roll cage and...
  21. R

1998 and newer regular cab work for me? With a cage? 6’5”

Man I thought I posted here before.... Looks like I registered in 2008 and then never posted, oh well anyway here goes. I’m 6’5” 300 pounds. Thinking about doing a production class rally truck. The weight and wheel base of the extended cab is a no go for me. I’m looking at 2004 and newer...
Back