Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

'01 Ford Explorer w/ a thumping sound

anyone? Some ideas, pls? :( Today, we just found out that a bolt on the driver side of the stabilizer bar had broken off, which is what we might have heard when I wrote a few weeks ago. We have it at the shop to see if they can just replace it. BYW, if it's too expensive, is this something...
  2. M

Car won't idle even after plugs changed

Thanks for that information, Flipside. I wished I had checked back here sooner to read your notes. We still have time...she's waiting in the yard till next year. :) You're right, Techieman33, and I can tell you that we know they are in the right firing order, but we won't be able to truly...
  3. M

'01 Ford Explorer w/ a thumping sound

:us: I think this started a few weeks ago, (meant to post here as soon as we heard it). We have a '01 Explorer 4WD w/104k on it; just have owned it for a year and a half now. Drives well but recently when we turn a corner, going at any speed, we've heard a low thumping sound. Doesn't matter...
  4. M

{UPDATE: Still haven't worked on the car, but someone mentioned to my husband that maybe the fuel pump went out...is that a possibility that we should consider before the fuel filter???}
  5. M

Will do and by the way, the hubby said we hadn't changed this since '94, so it's long over due. :thumbsup: I'll post what happens, ok? Thank you! :D
  6. M

Hmmm, we'll have to check that...and I'll write back to let you know. :thumbsup:
  7. M

Does this need changing each year? We did it last year, is the only reason why I'm asking...:)
  8. M

Hi all! :us: I've not posted here in awhile 'cause our car has run fine until this week. We have a '93 Ford Explorer automatic with 200k miles that started showing the following problems this week: 1) Car would idle w/assistance but would not stay running; 2) Changed out the spark plugs...
  9. M

'93explorer needs MAF...does anyone know how to install?

leak at the intake manifold... Hi all... Well, after spending most of the week piddling around with the car, we finally realized that this was going to require more experience and time than we had to invest in the Ex. So, we sent it to our local mechanic on Thursday evening and they looked...
  10. M

Thanks a lot Josh! The book said where it was located but since really understanding, or attempting to understand what I was looking at is so new, that is why I wasn't sure where it is located. We're gonna work on it later this week since it is so cold and wait till it gets in the 30s at...
  11. M

No, we haven't yet but it is 1 degree outside so I think we might have to push the recheck out until Monday. :-( As far as the fuel gauge tester is concerned, we don't have one of those but we could buy one or just try the visual test. You know, I don't mind working on the vehicle when it's...
  12. M

No, no luck Josh, it's actually not idling as well as it did BEFORE we installed the new one today, if that helps anything. We drove it tonight 'cause it's our only car,and it wanted to die anytime we idled more than 30 seconds...so, the situation is getting worse, I think...:( We don't...
  13. M

Um, ya know, the check engine light disappeared after we replaced the IAC. And the exhaust does look a bit sooty and does smell strange, actually, it does smell like unburned fuel! What does this mean??? I thought it was because of the low idle...:eek:
  14. M

HELP!!! So frustrated... We have not checked this yet, but we will after I post this message. :-) When I first posted, the issue we had, and still have, is that the car idles at 1000 rpms or lower in park or when when stopped at an intersection. If we cannot move the car within 1 1/2...
  15. M

STILL in need of help with Ex...please help! Hi again... Well, this time we took the IAC off and bought a new one today and the Ex. still cuts out. What have we missed so far? :confused: It's going to get colder and we need to get this fixed, and FAST! Please someone, do you have any ideas?
  16. M

How to: 4x4 Troubleshooting guide

Yeah, this is some GREAT information and I'll need to reference when we start addressing our 4x4 issues on our '93 explorer. It stopped working when we came back from FL in '04 and it really sucked 'cause we needed it as soon as we got back! :-) We made it though and I'm glad to finally also...
  17. M

IAC clean and re-install works but possible temporary fix Your husband is a lucky man;) Well, ya know, ya know...:D I just like taking parts apart and putting them back on, who knew it would come in handy someday? :-) We'll probably spend the money even though I think we can do it without...
  18. M

That is some good advice! We shop at Walmart often so we'll check out the entry level one first, and then, as we look to invest more into the maintenance side of our Explorer, we'll probably look at a more expensive model. :thumbsup: thanks again...
  19. M

Wow, this is some great advice and helpful information! Thanks so much for letting us know this and now, all I need is to find a voltmeter. What do they look like? When I looked online and typed in voltmeter, all I got was a lot of funky links to devices that were larger and more expensive.
  20. M

thanks Jesse...we'll check that too! :D It's been around 4 yrs. since we last changed it but you know what a pain in the *bleep!* it is to change it out.
  21. M

Yeah, well, we unplugged it while at the auto parts store and the car still wanted to cut out. :eek: So, that's why we checked some hoses and there was one that was not good, so at least we did catch that. The guy at the auto parts store discouraged us from using the original way of checking and...
  22. M

Did not wait...replaced MAF and it's not the problem!! Hi Josh, Well, the car seemed like it was having the same trouble, and my husband doesn't read visit these forums like me, so he took it off and put it back on, and it's still doing the same thing. :mad: *sigh* We took it to Auto Zone...
  23. M

Hi all. we had our mass airflow sensor replaced on our '93 ford explorer back in 2003 and it looks like we are having the same surge, stalling issues from then. so, now, we want to replace it ourselves and I wondered if someone knew how to install one on the explorer? We're hoping to fix...
  24. M

'93 ford explorer heating issues

'93 explorer heater issues well, the heat blows out fine when it works.:thumbsup: something keeps "blowing" the blower motor relay in the distribution box. we swapped out the A/C relay and it worked for today but somethings causing it to short out and that's what we now know is the real...
  25. M

'93 ford explorer heating issues

more information on situation... today, we took the truck to the mechanic who spent an 1 1/2 hours only to replace the blower motor relay for a total of $58.00. :mad: Ok, ok...we let it go but later today, the heat went out again. We called him back and he started talking about tracing wires...
Back