Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Transfer Case fluid replace

According to FordTechMakuloco, Motorcraft Mercon LV (Ford Approved in ALL Transfer Cases Now) for 4WD, not AWD. https://amzn.to/2yDpkUO See his video for details
  2. I

Do the front and rear take the same shock absorber?

Is replacing the toe link an option? When I replaced the toe link I used anti seize rather than grease. I saw a youtube video that suggested applying anti seize on the stud. I can't find link or I would post it. I recently replaced the toe link and reached out to tech support from the...
  3. I

What front suspension parts need replacement at 168k miles?

I didn't have any problems using ball joint press and hand plenty of clearance. My wheels are 17". I pressed it in and out same way the front ball joints would be replaced. Everything was still on the vehicle. Since i was replacing the most of the rear suspension component including the...
  4. I

What front suspension parts need replacement at 168k miles?

I recently replaced most of the rear suspension on my '04 Explorer. I kept the upper control arms, but replaced the upper ball joints. I replaced the lateral links, rear sway bar links, steering knuckle and the rear lower knuckle bushings too. I used ball joint press and socket. Lots of PB...
  5. I

Coil Pack

Appears they use the same part number, but you will want to confirm for yourself. Check fitment for FOTZ-12029-A https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-coil-asy-ignition_fotz-12029-a.html
  6. I

Rear shock/spring replacement 2003 Explorer

Sorry, I'm late to this thread. This past weekend I just finished replacing the rear shock springs on my 2004 Explorer and had to remove the lower knuckle to control arm bolt. Check out the 3:00 minute mark on the first video below or the 2:30 mark in the second video below.
  7. I

02 Explorer rear driver side wheel bearing replacement

Yes! Now is a good time to check everything while you have the knuckle off. While you are checking the CV axle boots, also check the rear differential axle seals for leaks. If they are leaking, consider replacing.
  8. I

02 Explorer rear driver side wheel bearing replacement

I'm in the process replacing the rear passenger wheel bearing on my '04 Explorer. I am not done yet, so i can't speak the the quality of any of these products. I went with the SKF hub. While I didn't look at the economy hubs, the Ultra Power does seem interesting that it comes preloaded with...
  9. I

Death Rattle or something else?

Is the noise more pronounced when the engine is cold?
  10. I

4.6 Engine replacement -Atlanta area

If it is in overall good shape, then check out the replacement of the timing chains/cassettes. Wouldn't replace the entire engine if it turn out to be the timing chains. There are several posts here about people who have done this themselves...
  11. I

Has your OIL PAN GASKET ever leaked?

Syber -- Any updates
  12. I

03' Explorer Alignment Issues Ongoing for over a year

Alignment specs from my alignment shop: Front Camber 0.30 to -1.30 Caster 6.10 to 4.10 (for front right caster they had 4.30 to 6.30) Toe -0.03 to 0.23 Total Toe -0.05 to 0.45 Steer Ahead -0.05 to 0.05 Rear Camber...
  13. I

Drivetrain high pitch noise

can you post a video of the noise?
  14. I

Air only comes out of the dashboard vents. Help. :-(

The only way Ford sells that part is with the whole plenum. P/N 4L2Z-19850-EC. You'll have to pull the dash to do the job as well.
  15. I

03' Explorer Alignment Issues Ongoing for over a year

I just replaced the lower ball joints on my 2004 Ford Explorer 4WD, it can all be done with hand tools. You need to pull the knuckle to press the lower ball joint out, but it wasn't that bad. I went to autozone (oreilly has same) and borrowed the following tools: 27271 - used it to separate...
  16. I

04 Tranny Noise - Over Drive

Have a whining noise coming from the tranny only in OD. Starts around 55-60 MPH. Switch off OD and it goes away. Also let off gas and it will go away. Seems to be most noticeable in cold weather. Any thoughts? Check out the 5 second mark and the 25 second mark.
  17. I

High Pitched whine on 02 EB

Did you ever figure this out? My 04 just started making high pitched whine around 60 MPH. If I turn off overdrive or let off the gas, the whine goes away.
  18. I

Transmission cooling line removal

I picked one up at carquest for my 2004 Ex. These will work: Lisle 39960 Transmission Oil Cooler Line Disconnect OTC 6593 Transmission Disconnect Set Lisle 39660 3/8" x 1/2" Transmission Oil Cooler Line Scissor Assenmacher Specialty Tools 8021 Oil Cooler Liner Remover Tool (NAPA house brnad...
  19. I

HVAC Issues. Also, trailer towing question.

Yeah, it's #21 and it's located under the hood, passenger side near the firewall where the vacuum lines exit the firewall. Here's a pic from a 2008. On my 2004 the part was located much further towards the passenger fender and would have been out of frame on this photo, but it gives you the...
  20. I

HVAC Issues. Also, trailer towing question.

+1 You have a vacuum leak. There can be lots of causes. Besides the one mention. In my case I had bad vacuum control valve. Under the hood, part number YG360. Less than 5 minute fix for me. Also check under the dash/glovebox for leaks in/out of the vacuum reservoir.
  21. I

power steering leak

What was the price? I have 98 Toyota with leaking R&P. A lot of people on the Toyota Forums like Rack Doctor. http://www.rackdoctor.net/
  22. I

power steering leak

Lucas worked well for my car too. Back to the OP, need to trace the leak. Power Steering leak can be from the pump, the hoses, or the Rack & Pinion itself. As I recall the pump and hoses are the drivers side. Can you be more specific to the source of the leak? Is it coming from power...
  23. I

Air conditioning issues remaining after replacing blend door actuator

Dual zone allows for separate temperature controls for the driver and passenger. I've noticed some of the parts sites show all possible part options and are not always vehicle specific. Are you filtering based on your VIN?
  24. I

Air conditioning issues remaining after replacing blend door actuator

Check these posts. Most likely air recirculation door broke and blocked the air. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284042&highlight=vent+door http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316624 You can also replace the broken part, but you need to take the...
Back