Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Help with my 99 Explorer with a 4.0l v6 sohc

Sorry to see you got no responses however, if you've been as deep as the head gaskets (assuming you mean the head gaskets and not the VCG's), you have a multitude of potential problems! I think I'd start by checking ALL various plugs are connected back properly to all various sensors etc then...
  2. B

Need help identifying this hose

You should have a small (1" long) white/transluscent "clip" (looks like an open plastic hairclip) that pushes in through the holes in the female attachment pictured, once the fitting is on the metal pipe. The clip locks the fitting together. BH
  3. B

Hesitation under idle & load AND mystery purpl/white wire?

Thank you very much for this info. I'll get it all hooked up tonight.
  4. B

How many miles do you have

99 4.0 SOHC, 237,846. Just canged the fuel filter this weekend and it had 09/01 stamped on the side! Runs like a top. NO rattles, no smoke, doesn't use any oil. BH
  5. B

2000 Explorer Rough Idle and Lumpy Engine At Cruise Speeds

Pull off each of your plug caps, one at a time, and make ABSOLUTELY sure that when you re connect them, they seat fully/straight and you can feel they are clipped on the top of the plugs. Trust me, I've chased a very similar problem for two days, only to find #3 plug cap was not seated...
  6. B

Help with 1992 Explorer vacuum lines

Can you post a picture of the hose in question please. BH
  7. B

So, if we were to assume the Purple/white wire IS associated top the VIPER and IS the "tach input wire".....where in the engine bay and to what might it attach? Thanks. BH
  8. B

TPS base resistance?

Thank you 2000StreetRod. Very full explanation. Turns out I had a VERY much simpler problem/resolution so didn't need to replace the TPS. BH
  9. B

Thank you for all the input, very much appreciated. Did I originally say I was METICULOUS? Well...last night I decided to remove the PCV I cleaned and replaced. Rattling very freely so assumed ok. Gave it a simple blow/suck test, only to find it was NOT closing, so replaced with a new one...
  10. B

1999 2 wheel drive 4.0 SOHC EB. 237,000 miles Just replaced Plugs, wires, Intake manifold Upper & Lower gaskets, changed oil & filter and replaced fuel filter (old one said 09/01 on itso has likely got 200k on it!). Also cleaned throttle body, MAF and IAC. Car is much peppier BUT has...
  11. B

TPS base resistance?

Took off the TPS and measured resistance (OHMS) between pins A & B which showed as 780. Manually rotated the center (as the butterfly would do) and resistance increased very uniformly. Did same measurements on a new one out of the box but it's base resistance was 520. Is this important...
  12. B

? base resistance of TPS

Took off the TPS and measured resistance (OHMS) between pins A & B which showed as 780. Manually rotated the center (as the butterfly would do) and resistance increased very uniformly. Did same measurements on a new one out of the box but it's base resistance was 520. Is this important...
  13. B

Hesitation at idle and under load and "mystery" purple/white wire t"

1999 2 wheel drive 4.0 SOHC EB. 237,000 miles Just replaced Plugs, wires, Intake manifold Upper & Lower gaskets, changed oil & filter and replaced fuel filter (old one said 09/01 on itso has likely got 200k on it!). Also cleaned throttle body, MAF and IAC. Car is much peppier BUT has very...
  14. B

Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades )

You may do well to work under a magnifying glass. I had to use a loupe to see the cracked solder kionts. The resistors in question are extremely small (1mm x 1.5mm). I sharpened the copper tip of my 20w iron to a point a tinned it with a little solder. Then just barely "stroked" each side of...
  15. B

Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades )

Resoldered original cracked soldered joints on my daughter's radio this morning. Took a loupe to actually see the the cracks and a very sparpened iron to resolder but didn't take too long. Not very pretty but functional so far. BH
  16. B

average mpg?

99 4.0 SOHC 2 wheel drive with 201,000, getting 18.2 around town. BUT I don't tend to race away from lights and do drive it conservatively. BH
  17. B

speed controll dash light question

AH, Thanks for clarifying. At least I now know it's not a fault.
  18. B

Thanks your answer. So how do you know whether or not the cruise system is "on" or "off", before you attempt to actually set the speed, using the set accel button? Do you just get in the habit of always pressing the "on" button first? What about if you have to tap the brake whilst you're...
  19. B

1999 4.0 2 Wheel Drive EB. If I want to use the cruise control, I have to press the "on" button on the steering wheel then press the 'accel control" button. This sets/holds the prevailing speed. Only when I press the accel control button does the speed control (green) light...
  20. B

Ticking Noise While Engine Is OFF

I think the sound you're hearing is the contraction of the exhaust manifold? I would suggest you take a trip to Autozone or similar and have them pull the codes for you, in order to see what's tripping the CEL. It's free. BH
  21. B

Ticking Noise While Engine Is OFF

Does it do this only when the car has been driven, is hot and in the process of cooling down, once turned off OR even when it's stone cold? BH
  22. B

What kind of Oil and Filters do you guys use?

Dan, no need to beat around the bush....come on, you can tell us how you really feel. BH
  23. B

ABS coming on all the time

If it's a 2 wheel drive there's a sensor in the top/front of the diff' at the rear of the car, at the end of the driveshaft, between the rear wheels. Follow the wire across the top of the diff', to the sensor. This will likely be your problem. Parts $ 21. You can do a resistance test...
  24. B

My Explorer is throwing EGR codes...

You might also check the joint between the EGR tube and the exhaust manifold. I saw a 99 XLT the other night where the EGR tube was totally rusted and broken away from the manifold at the flange/joint. BH
Back