Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

I'm back after a year away from my Explorer

UPDATE: I seem to have fixed the P0455 code. I found a not so perfect looking connector on the driver side upper intake plenum. It's the plastic black connector that if you follow it will eventually T-off and connects the the pass side upper intake, and also splits off to the purge valves...
  2. J

I'm back after a year away from my Explorer

Well I parked the Explorer a year ago and bought an Expedition. The exact day that I had the Explorer sold, the transmission blew up- this was the first and ONLY time this truck has ever seriously broke down in the last 13 years. As a result I kept it and told the buyer it wasn't available any...
  3. J

Reverse Only, plus ticking noise from tranny

Well anyways, I tore apart the transmission. Found the pump has a broken gear, but it still spins, so it clicks. Also it won't drive forward in any gears because the "Forward" clutch pack is completely stripped. Every one of the little tabs that the clutch plates have is completely stripped out...
  4. J

I swapped the valve body from the other transmission. It had been fully upgraded with all the newest valves/gaskets/springs etc. I have about 5 psi higher but still has reverse only. When you select R or D you can hear a hissing sound kick in, but no engagement. Guess this tranny has a blown...
  5. J

I got the main side line pressures. P-105 R-150 N-100 D-100 for 5 seconds, then jumps to 125 2- 95 1- 130 *NOTE- in reverse the pressure gauge bounces so much you can barely read it.
  6. J

1991 Explorer boils over after you shut it off -- FIXED

A lot of times it's the radiator cap and it's completely overlooked. People pull the cap and sit it on the bench, but NEVER look at it. The spring ALWAYS fails on them. There's a spring loaded metal plate under the cap, and it is supposed to hold is shut. When the radiator cools off, and the...
  7. J

WTF 18 CODES and tranny wont shift

OK, CEL problem is completely solved. That one fuse was causing absolute hell. It gave me 21 codes and the engine ran like crap. It was misfiring, no power, etc. I cleaned the contacts and installed new fuse. Starts and runs great now. As for the tranny.....that's another thread.
  8. J

Tranny Troubles

How does this relate to the torque converters on the 5R55E? I'm about to swap mine with another used one. Did the converter just slide on, or do you rotate and line it up to let it drop in a few notches?
  9. J

Ok well either nobody gives a #### or nobody knows the answer, but here's what I found- I'll post this in case someone else is having the same issue. I looked at the main wire harness connector located on the driver side valve cover. It is held together with one 10 mm bolt head. The contacts...
  10. J

THe truck has been sitting for 3 weeks. I drove it last week once and it wouldnt shift out of 3rd gear, and would misfire if you step hard on the gas, bogging the whole time. After 10 min it warmed up and began shifting fine. This week I tried driving it, now it's stuck in 3rd gear, unless you...
  11. J

Orifice Tube Question, R134 to R12 conversion

Well apparently they all use the same exact part number orifice tube. The a/c system in my 98 must have a bigger capacity condenser, or something else is causing the high side psi to be very low. I'll recycle the r12 out and convert back to R134 again. I know it was usually around 175 -200 high...
  12. J

R409 is a direct drop in replacement for R12 and is 20% more efficient- BUT- is not approved for use in moving vehicles. I don't know why, but they only want it being used in refrigeration equipment. I think it has some of the "bad" environmental stuff in it, which is why it works so well...
  13. J

I'm hoping that a more restrictive orifice tube will cause a lower low side and higher high side reading. When parked the low side is about 40 psi and high is 120. Then after a while driving the low side works it's way to around 30, then the system freezes up for a minute, then works...
  14. J

I work in aviation and we still use R12 on a daily basis. So it's available with no problem. I live in a pretty frikin hot environment and the colder the AC the better. I decided to upgrade to R12 in my 98 explorer. I removed the R134a with our 134 machine, then filled with R12. Normally...
  15. J

What tranny's fit a '98 Explorer 4.0 SOHC auto 4x4 5R55E?

Any Updates on your situation? I have the same problem. My 98 5r55e took a dump finally, I'm positive I have broken hard parts inside, so I need a total tranny replacement and have not much money. I'm looking for used salvage yard trannies for my 2 wheel drive 98. I just wanted to know...
  16. J

Alarm system is cutting out fuel pump

Have you tried google books. I've found TONS of good info there. You basically search on that section of google and will probably find a few books online for FREE with wiring diagrams etc.
  17. J

High Rev on Startup, possible fix

I didn't know there was a diagnostic code that specifies PCV. Also didn't know there was an oil separator.....I do have a home made oil separator on mine, which is installed in the pcv vacuum line. Anyways sounds like you have an intake leak somewhere. Could be the intake o-rings or it could...
  18. J

Successful valve body upgrade

I got a lot of info from your posts as well during my planning on this one. -THANKS!! I spent all week reading posts and saving to my favorites for when I needed them for help half way through the job. I ordered parts based on your experiences and everyone else's experiences so I knew what to...
  19. J

Successful valve body upgrade

My 5R55E auto 5 speed had a problem of being slow to engage reverse in the mornings, and finally last week it got worse to the point that it SLAMMED into reverse. Afterwards it was making noise in reverse and 1rst gear. The noises somehow faded away but it still took forever to engage reverse...
  20. J

Gear Indicator Lights

The TCC is torque converter clutch. It feels like another gear being shifted into when it engages.
  21. J

Gear Indicator Lights

I just thought it would be cool to have an indicator that tells you which gear the truck is currently in, and whether the TCC is engaged or not. In other words a small light for 1rst, 2nd, 3rd 4th, 5th etc, and another light that says TCC. As your driving the tranny shifts automatically and an...
  22. J

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

The picture on page 1 of this thread shows the "Ford" valve kit which consists of a spring, valve and metal clip. I just received my Ford kit that I ordered from the dealership, it has a valve and clip, but NO SPRING. Did I get a bad kit or is this how they make it now? Thanks JOE
  23. J

How to change 1rst gear ratio 5R55E

I got info from Level 10 transmissions, they told me it's $498 for gear ratio parts and another $398 for software reprogramming. Sounds crazy expensive, I know I can do better than that. If the internals I'm installing are completely STOCK parts from another USED 55S or 55W than it can't...
  24. J

How to change 1rst gear ratio 5R55E

From talking to one retired transmission builder, this idea is supposedly possible. However the computer will disagree with the incorrect internal speeds of the tranny so computer mods are also in order. Also it seems that the internal parts are interchangeable for the most part between the...
Back