Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

8K Hids are quaint

We'll just have to disagree, then. The HID's light up street/lane markings and signs better than the stock halogens could ever hope to.
  2. G

Duralast Brake Pads

I went w/ the Wagner thermo-quiets on my 03 Explorer. They work perfectly and weren't too expensive. They've been on it for over 30k so far.
  3. G

8K Hids are quaint

I'm no expert, but I disagree about going w/ 8k's. I have them in my SS and they are amazing compared to the stock halogens. That's not to say the 6k's aren't brighter, b/c they should be. I wouldn't ever go over an 8k bulb in a headlight or driving light due to the reasons stated (diminished...
  4. G

Explorer or Trailblazer?

Yes I know this is an older thread :D Let's not go over board w/ the trans comment...LOL. 4700 # curb weight + 400hp/tq = broke trans. Not all, but there are a LOT of failures due to the power/weight combo. That being said, I fricking love mine. There are still a few things I like about...
  5. G

question on all 3rd gens... are they all SOHC engines?

Sounds like it. Great post! I guess I should have looked it up myself...lol. It's my wife's vehicle and we've kept it stock, so I never really messed w/ it other than regular maintanence things.
  6. G

question on all 3rd gens... are they all SOHC engines?

Did I miss a big Ford engine change pre-2011? The 4.0 V6 is an OHV (Over Head Valve) motor, but not a SOHC motor....it's still a pushrod V6. The 4.6 V8 is Single Over Head Cam motor, meaning the cam is physically above the head and the cam is what opens and closes the valves.
  7. G

Climate control mode knob not working?

I'm having the same issue in my 03 XLT. Just noticed it this morning. Vents work fine, but nothing (or very little) from the floor.
  8. G

Explorer or Trailblazer?

Since y'all brought this thread back, I guess I'll post my 2 cents b/c my situation has changed a little. We still have the Ex, but it doesn't see much road time anymore. We found a smokin deal on an 07 TB SS, and haven't looked back since. You die-hard Blue Oval guys will still say "I don't...
  9. G

Look what I got today - 07 fusion keys! For my 04

How hard is it to change the blades on precut keys? Anyone done this yet?
  10. G

Miles Per Gallon?????

I have a similar setup: 2003, K&N panel filter, 3.55's, FFV....I also have the 3rd row seat and leather (extra weight). I was getting 15 or a hair less in mixed driving (65% hwy). I did plugs/wires and changed the fuel filter and I'm getting low to mid 17's now. I posted this in a tune up...
  11. G

New Tires, Bumpy Ride, Rotors?

If it were your rotors, it would be an issue of vibrating when you're stopping. If you are just driving or accellerating, it most likely is something else. My $$$ would be on the tires/wheels. You need to get them balanced before you can eliminate them. IMO, no point in checking anything...
  12. G

Finished the 60k maintenance on the 4.0....

E.B.--thanks for the replies! I read a thread on my local stang forum about oils recently. A guy on the forum works for Shell (not sure what he does), but said he was actually most impressed w/ Quaker State's Q Horsepower than M1, RP, or Syntec.... I'm checking out the site you recommended ASAP.
  13. G

Fuel filter

Very interesting. So, Cornburner, since yours has a single in/out, is it the same style connector on both sides (requires the fuel line tool)? Just curious....
  14. G

Going twin turbo. 4.0 ohv

I didn't take it at that, just giving my input;) Something I left out: You can also change boost on a Centrifugal S/C by changing out the impeller. Just thought I'd CMA (cover my a$$).
  15. G

ok time to do some work

Send that puppy to Astro Performance and let them put the A5 kit on it. It's their version of the G-Force kit for T5's. It's great for running steeper gears on Mustangs due to the (numerically) lower first gear and OD and is good to 550hp (IIRC). EDIT: Be sure to figure out which Mustang T5...
  16. G

Going twin turbo. 4.0 ohv

X2. Plus Teksid blocks holds a lot more power than a stock 2V or N/A 4V block will hold. Forged internals, etc., add to the Terminator's potential from the factory. The boost output of a S/C is limited to the revolutions of the pulley in relation to the motor. You can do a pulley swap to...
  17. G

dumb oil question...but

There is some very good advice and instruction here!! Like was previously mentioned, it's always better to ask questions when you're unsure instead of making an expensive mistake. Next time, ask first, though:D. On that note, don't feel bad.... I had my Mustang tranny rebuilt when I was...
  18. G

Needed Advice On 4.0 Modifications

Paint code is on the door jam inside the driver's door. Once you get the code, Google it and you should be able to find it.
  19. G

Fuel filter

My 03 4.0 also has 2 inlets.... EDIT: I misread your post...you should have 2 inlets, so the sticky is a different year.
  20. G

Really? That would be nice..... Most stock cats, including Ford, have smaller, more compact material that hinders flow. I'm not arguing w/ you, just saying that the Magnaflow HiFlo made a big difference on my 93 Caprice 5.0 (albeit older technology). I would love to spend the $$ and find out...
  21. G

B/c they are the cheapest, most poorly made filter you can buy. Google "oil filter comparison" or something similar and look at the differences in filter media, anti-drainback valves, etc. The Motorcraft filters for the 4.0L are only $4 at Walmart and the last Wix I bought for the stang (90 LX...
  22. G

Missing the point=Priceless:D Just F'ing w/ you, Kyle. A drop in K&N filter made a little SOTP difference in my 03 4.0. I'd like to throw a Magnaflow on it. Hell, I can get Magnaflow HiFlow cats for $55 each on ebay--I want to replace the stock cats w/ those and redo the rest from there...
  23. G

On the 4.0L V6=.052-.056....not sure if the V8 is the same. Look under the front of the hood on the passenger side...there's a sticker that will tell you. BTW, for those that aren't in the know, NEVER use a FRAM oil filter. Go Motorcraft or better (Wix, Mobil 1, etc.).
  24. G

EB-- Why do you not like Mobil 1? I've had no issues w/ it in the 4 oil changes I've been using it. The X is running very well, in fact.
  25. G

I went w/ the Autolite Platinums and Motorcraft wires. I wouldn't wait till 100k to do the plugs....my stock wires looked okay, but I replaced them anyway. If yours look good and don't show any signs of wear, cracking, corrosion, etc., it might be okay to leave them. We've been running Mobil...
Back