Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

New transfer case blowing #23 fuse

In 2005 Borg Warner eliminated the speed sensors on the T-case. If you got a later T-case without speed sensors, it won't work.
  2. T

transfer case problem??

My issues were difficulty making tight turns. I 4WD lock-up the wheels travel varying distances in turns, so the tires/wheels bind up. With the front shaft out, those problems went away. I've been intending to drain the T-case fluid as a first step, but with no annoying issues I keep putting it off.
  3. T

transfer case problem??

Have you tried running without the front drive shaft? I have an 02 Explorer that was giving signs of a transfer case lock-up about two years ago. I took my front drive shaft off and have gone without it sense then. I do want to get it resolved, which led me to reading your post. Good Luck.
  4. T

03 V8 sounds like a diesel

The torque converter will lock up, usually in high gear, the TQ will no longer slip, creating a more or less direct connection between the engine and transmission. In low gears and low revs the TQ slips a small amount. This is when I believe I hear the noise.
  5. T

03 V8 sounds like a diesel

My V6 has begun doing the same thing. I believe it's the torque converter as the sound goes away when it locks up. A little worse when cold. I was tempted to try changing the tranny fluid, but figured I was just wasting time & money. Any one have any pricing on a change? Is there a heavier duty...
  6. T

Power seats and seat warmer problems

I would think that you would want to get them from a stealership. I don't know the part number. I have a SAAB with heated seats and they're replaceable with some effort.
  7. T

Power seats and seat warmer problems

I can't answer your questions, but I've been intending to ask if others have had issues with the heated seats? Mine will blow the fuse. I'm curious if others have had this problem and what they did to fix it. I've had other vehicles with heated seats and the typical problem is an "open" on the...
  8. T

Another quest ….

I'm well aware of your vehicle's performance (and impressed). I'm simply suggesting possibilities for poor idle. You could have imbalanced compression or fuel injection, particularly at low (idle) rpm, that doesn't affect higher rpm performance.
  9. T

Another quest ….

Have you tried a compression check of all cylinders? You may have an imbalance there. Have you replaced your injectors? You may have one or two that are a little of there also. The list can go on and on. Good Luck!
  10. T

Just Purchased My 2002

The 5R55E was used in later 2nd gen V6 Exploders. The 2nd gen Exploders V8 had the 4 speed tranny. That 4 speed was stonger than the 5R55E 5 speed.
  11. T

Just Purchased My 2002

Third gen Explorer's all have the same tranny 5R55W, V8 or V6. I guess you could argue or asumme that the V8 pushes more torque through the tranny and therefore is more likley to have problems. I have the V6 with 78k on the clock and the trannie is still smooth. YMMV
  12. T

Brake Pad Shims or "Slippers" Question

The slippers or shims are usually used to reduce noise. Applying copper grease or anti-seize to the back of the pad can help if you don't have the shims.
  13. T

Tracking down a problem

Look for intake leaks. If you have a leak you'll suck in more are then the MAF detects and your engine will be running lean.
  14. T

Dampening rear whine

You could try a refill of 75w-140. That is what Ford spec's on a TSB for this issue. The factory fill was 75w-90. Make sure there are no leaks, many folks seem to have this issue. Maybe your empty.
  15. T

Towing Capacity

I pull a 3000/3500 lb boat with my V6, It has the towing package and tows fine on the flats. But going up a mountain grade mine gets quite a work out, 3rd gear, 40 mph. I wish then that I had the V8. Your boat sounds to be a bit heavy. Alot rests with your comfort level and the route that you'll...
  16. T

Moving to California... Emissions question!

I don't think that you will have any problems. CA is tough on CA citizens who go out of state and bring in newer vehicles. They won't let residents bring in vehicles from out of state with less than 20k (?) miles. You are suppose to register your vehicle with 30 days (60?) of moving to the...
  17. T

Roof Rack Paint ?

Ford seems to still have a lot of trouble with paint, particularly trim. My vehicle paint is holding up ok, but the roof rack peeled and the "window" trim panels all have flaking clear coat. I've noticed most Explorer's here in CA have similar issues.
  18. T

Roof Rack Paint ?

My 02 has peeling racks also. I just took mine off, I haven't decided whether to strip and leave clear or repaint black. I think that surface prep is the key to getting the new paint to stick. Ford issued a TSB on this, but I haven't read it yet. Anybody out there come across it yet and pass...
  19. T

Tranny fluid overfull?

I had a similar problem last year. Towing my boat up a long freeway grade on a hot day. Fluid came out of the vent on the top of the tranny and dripped down to the exhuast, lots of smoke. I let it cool down a bit and took it easier on it the est of the trip with no more problems. Mines run ok...
  20. T

"Low Fuel Level" message - what triggers it?

I agree with FordLover, mine triggers at exaclty 50 miles remaining on the tank. I wish I could change it, as it gets annoying having it go off every 5-10 mins once it triggers.
  21. T

Pinging like crazy...

You may also think about changing your fuel filter if it hasn't been changed in a while. It help the pinging on my 92.
  22. T

Alignment on 92 Explorer

Does the vehicle pull to one side or the other when driven? The earlier Explorers were bad at having bushings wear out and you can end up with sagging and/or movement. The vehicle has likely been previously aligned and the alignment shop may have not done a good job of re-centering or checking...
  23. T

Banging Noise From Under Drivers Floor Board

I have a similar clank or rattle. Mine is worse when it's cold (like this morning). Mine only makes noise when moving. I thought it was in the driveline because I can kind of feel it in the steering wheel. I've checked the suspension and driveline and everything feels tight. Did yours rattle...
  24. T

What's your gas Mileage?

Hi Dennis, I'm in San Diego also. I have an '02 EB v6 4x4. I usually get between 15 to 18 mixed driving (my hwy/city commute). I have gotten up to 20 on the hwy for extended trips. Lately milage seems low, it could be the winter fuel. I'm also running Bama chips performance tune and I have...
  25. T

is shifting like this normal on an auto '04 xls 4.0

My 02 had a clunck on 2nd to 3rd shifts. I got help from Doug at Bamachips. The tranny is computer controlled and he can tune the computer/tranny for better shifting as well as improving engine performance. My shifting is much better now.
Back