Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Rim Damage - How much is too much?

Looks like you have a chrome skin over a steel wheel. If you can confirm, this is probably cosmetic damage. I'd take a small piece of wood and tap it back in place with a small hammer.
  2. R

New here and interested in the second gen Sport Tracs

I have a '10 STA and have no real unusual problems with it. By the 2010 model year most of the bugs had been ironed out. We have some mention on the boards about the drive shaft (cannot repair must replace in the AWD model), and other miscellaneous problems as are present with all 10 year old...
  3. R

Pillar gauges 2010

I have looked for A pillar gauge pods for my '10 STA for quite some time. Looked for Gen 4 Explorer as well since I think they are the same. I could not find any. Best suggestion on another board was to buy a universal one and modify it (results may vary).
  4. R

Sport Track garage sign

Build-a-sign will let you customize a sign to your liking by uploading images and inserting text. I quickly built the attached, cost would be about $22 for a 18" X 12" aluminum sign. They have other sizes for other prices. I have done business with them in the past and was satisfied with the...
  5. R

2008 Ford Sport Trac Adrenalin Wheels

According to the Detroit Wheel site, the offset on the Edge wheels is 52.5 mm and the hub bore is 63.4 mm. The stock wheels on your STA have an offset of 35 mm (44 mm on non adrenalins) with a hub bore of 71 mm. The hub on the edge wheels would have to be machined out, and you might have...
  6. R

Headunit

That should be all you need. If you have navigation in the new unit you will need to use the antenna that came with it rather than the stock one.
  7. R

oil change

I drive my '10 4.6L about 2500 miles a year. I change the oil annually regardless of mileage with full synthetic (usually Pennzoil Ultra) and motorcraft filter. Short, infrequent driving is rough on oil.
  8. R

How to turn off AWD

Any long term mechanical problems with doing this?
  9. R

What Oil do you guys use for your 4.6 v3 ?

Yes, you will need six quarts.
  10. R

What Oil do you guys use for your 4.6 v3 ?

I always use what is listed on the oil filler cap on my vehicles. I use the listed SAE 5W20 (usually Pennzoil Ultra) in my '10 model 4.6L, which has a Roush supercharger upgrade. The Roush people recommended that even with the extra stress I should stay with the factory recommended viscosity...
  11. R

Tire fault sensor

Did you drive the truck after changing the wheel position? The system should pickup on the new wheel position (it might take 10-25 miles for the system to relearn). If so, it would be a good guess that the battery in the sensor has failed (ten years is the estimated life span for the...
  12. R

2008 SPORTRAC - BACKUP CAMERA AND RADIO

I bought my setup from Crutchfield. They have a good price range and can integrate a new radio to let you retain your factory functions and steering wheel controls. They give very good advice and installation tips. I have no connection, only a satisfied customer. https://www.crutchfield.com/
  13. R

Temperature indicator pegged @ hot followed by check engine light then limp mode

I had the same problem with the same code, pegged temp gauge, no real overheating. Advice from another forum was that it needed a different thermostat and recommended a Reische 170° High Performance Part # FORD-4S. It works a little differently than a stock thermostat. It didn't seem logical...
  14. R

OBD cover

On Gen 2s the port is not really noticeable , but I have a custom flash, I bought a cover that says "Consult Owner, Do Not Flash!"
  15. R

Which remanufactured engine should I choose? Promar? Motorcraft?

How do the warranties compare? Would it be easier to get it repaired/replaced at the dealer if something went wrong with the new engine?
  16. R

Headliner R&R

Video on you tube, click "watch this video on youtube"
  17. R

Looking for tips

Depending on how serious you are, Brenspeed has performance packages from cold air intakes to full Roush supercharger packages. Very dependable performance people. See link below. Otherwise a good ECU tuner such as a SCT x4 to enhance what you have...
  18. R

Stereo

I bought a Kenwood nav/audio unit and the idatalink maestro install kit from Crutchfield. It kept all the steering wheel controls (plus added a couple) and I was able to keep most of the sync functions with a wiring modification in the console. Crutchfield has excellent advice to help you...
  19. R

Dashboard and Radio Lights Don't Work

Doubt if all the bulbs would burn out at once. The owner's manual says fuse #23 (in the fuse box under the dash) controls the Interior lamps, puddle lamps, cargo lamp, battery saver, and Instrument illumination. You might see if the other lights supplied by this fuse are working. The lights...
  20. R

Solved OBD connector cover was missing. A salvage yard gave me one.

Just curious, why is a cover necessary? If a foreseeable problem, I might get one.
  21. R

"OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" warning & sluggish engine respond

I usually change my oil (2010 4.6L) every year regardless of mileage (usually less than 3000 miles, mostly city driving). I often forget to reset the oil change monitor and the oil change reminder light comes on. I've never noticed any loss of performance while it was on.
  22. R

2008 Explorer middle dash bezel removal

this video should help:
  23. R

2008 Sport Trac wrench light on.

Many things could cause the wrench. Get a code reader (costs about $20) and scan for codes, even when the wrench light is off, codes should still be stored. Post the codes here or do a google search to narrow the problem down.
  24. R

How to convert your 'AWD' Adrenalin to true 4x4

I added the switch to my '10 STA. Directions were spot on, took about 30 minutes for the install (not including the learning curve for Forscan - someone needs to write a "Forscan for Dummies" book!). One caveat, when writing the new code to the IC module, Forscan popped a checksum error...
  25. R

Wher is the satellite radio tuner?

I have a '10, mine is behind the right front kick panel (in front of the door).
Back