Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

christmas ideas

Check out http://www.kustomz.com/ for an intake in the $100 budget. As for exhaust ask a local shop. Depends on what you want (things like big shiny tips jack up the price). I paid around $100 to have a flowmaster 40 series muffler dropped in my ex and it just dumps after the muffler. Mike
  2. X

SCT X3 for x-mas

Ooops didnt mean to leave this thread hangin... been busy here lately.. I ordered from www.hensonperformance.com the other day. Now i just have to wait 2 weeks til I actually get to play :D Mike
  3. X

SCT X3 for x-mas

Alright im lookin at getting an x3 this x-mas. I plan to order it from hensonperformance.com. I have 2 questions though: 1. What is the best way to get in contact with them for my custom tune? 2. Is there anything else I need to know or do? Thanks in advance, Mike
  4. X

seriously bad MPG

Are you going by the odometer or the message center? With 31s on your odometer will be slightly off thus making it seem like your getting terrible mpgs. I dont think the tire change will mess with the message center although im not positive on that either. Mike
  5. X

Awd acting up

Im goin through this right now. Definitely pull the front drive shaft 1st. I ended up replacing both cv's before I pulled the driveshaft (1 was bad for sure not positive on the other but at 167k i figured it probably needed it anyways). Turned out to be my t-case making the clunking noise which...
  6. X

K&N high flow intake

Anyone that has a k&n filter on the existing intake tubing pieced it together themselves. Its fairly simple and much cheaper than the $300 FIPK kits your seeing. Go to ebay and get a MAF adapter. Pick out filter of your choice and put it all together. Another place to look is...
  7. X

Door locks wont lock, but will unlock

According to my owners manual the code is taped to the computer module. As for your autolock issue maybe you accidentally deactivated it. I hope this helps, Mike
  8. X

Removing front drive shaft...Need Help

Ya I read somewhere on here that theres a rebuild kit. IIRC though it wasnt that much less than a used awd transfercase. Ill have to look more into this rebuild kit. Im confident I could do the work if I have the proper instructions. Thanks, Mike
  9. X

Help with power windows

I would check the boot going into the driver side door 1st. The wires in that boot are known to break. I had a couple broken in my 96 ex. If you find any broken wires just add a lil piece of "jumper" wire and reconnect them. To check the switches you will have to pop the door panel off. This...
  10. X

Got the driveshaft off. Just needed a chisel and a lil extra persuasion :hammer: I am aware of the creep and do not intend to leave it out. Im trying to pinpoint the clunk Ive been getting under acceleration. Sure enough it was gone when I just went on about a 10-15 mile test drive around...
  11. X

Cool Ill give it a shot. Just wanted be 100% positive I wasnt doing somethin wrong. Ive never messed with driveshafts before and didnt want to break anything. Thanks, Mike
  12. X

Heres what Im looking at (lets see if i got this right never posted pics before) Is it possible that the 2 flanges have just rusted together? Both chilton's and haynes say unbolt 4 bolts and remove.. Thanks, Mike
  13. X

Ok to start off i have a 96 explorer v8 awd. Its been clunking under acceleration (1/2 throttle or more). Its worse when turning. I found a torn boot on driver side cv axle so i replaced the cv axle. It got better but didnt fix the issue. Next i replaced the passenger side cv axle but the clunk...
  14. X

Looking for help with no dash and hvac lights

Are your running lights working? Double check all of your fuses. The dash lights are tied into your running lights circuit. I had this problem with my 96 ex. Took me a few days to figure out too cause i thought i checked every fuse. xD Mike
  15. X

97 Exp question

I have flowmaster 40 series on my on my v8 explorer that dumps immediately after the muffler. I love the sound and have got many compliments but it is very loud (tools on the wall were rattling at the exhaust shop when it got installed). I have actually woke friends/neighbors before late at...
  16. X

Reliablity of AWD V8?

I picked up my ex last winter just before the snow. Awd v8 168k miles and its still runnin strong. If its a good deal i would not pass it up. Ive had a couple problems here and there but notin too major. I had an idler pulley freeze up about a month ago and right now im in the middle of...
  17. X

Chilton or Haynes manual?

Get both. I have both of them cause often 1 wont be much help and the other has everything you need. Sometimes there will be a picture in one that will really help that the other doesnt have. Mike
  18. X

Gotta tow this weekend and O/D doesnt work?!?!?!

Pop the cover off the steering column. You should be able to see the wire comin from the end of the shifter for the o/d switch. Its known to break. Add a lil piece of jumper wire to reconnect it and you should be fine. I had this issue in my 96 EB. Mike
  19. X

5.0 Serpentine belt change out problems?

Just changed mine a week ago. I had to remove the intake and go from the top. I couldnt turn the tensioner far enough from the bottom side because my socket wrench kept hitting the frame. Reached in from the top and the belt went on with ease. 15mm should be the right size for the tensioner. Mike
  20. X

Front End Noise...

If it turns out to be my transfer case that would actually be a relief. 4406 swap is in my future plans for my ex. Unfortunately i dont have the time or xtra money for this right now :/ Mike
  21. X

eddie bauer trim !!

Take a look underneath. Theres like 12 bolts. Also a lot of retaining clips that go into the body. So keep in mind if you take the running boards and fender flares off there will be holes left behind in the body. Mike
  22. X

Front End Noise...

That thought had crossed my mind too since ive read on here about that wearin out. What confuses me though is it only makes the noise when my tires are slipping. Ive never heard it on the street (yet...). Mike
  23. X

Front End Noise...

Hey all, Ive done some lookin around on here and have had trouble findin my answer. When Im off road ive been hearing a "wratchet-ing" noise comin from my front end. Also only when the wheels are turned and my tires start slipping. It reminds me of the sound that came from my 1st gen when the...
  24. X

Need 1.5 Shackles (Where can i find cheapest)

I too run autozone shackles and know multiple others that do and have had no issues over years of abuse.
  25. X

Door Ajar light

Unplug the sensor in the door. I did this when the sensor in my hatch stopped working. Only real downfall is the dome wont come on when you open that door. Mike
Back