Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

PerformaBuilt transmissions

Has anyone heard of PerformaBuilt transmissions? What is their reputation? Do they even work on the 5r55e?
  2. G

Heater Fan Resistor Pack

Well, I put a new resistor pack in, and everything works now. I compared the old and new ones, and it turns out it was the thermal limiter that was bad. Thanks for all your help. I'm glad I didn't have to take it into the dealer $$$:eek:
  3. G

Heater Fan Resistor Pack

I already went over everything with sandpaper, and measured all continuity and resistance. I think I am going to just get a new resistor and hope that is the problem.
  4. G

Heater Fan Resistor Pack

Blower motor resistor looks fine, still only works on high. I have that problem where the blower only works on high. I checked the resistor, and the connections, and all looks good. I even checked the switch on the dash for continuity, but it was good too. If the resistor looks fine, and...
  5. G

5R55E losing it's mind

I've got the same problem with shifting up instead of down. Mine is sluggish shifting either way between reverse and Drive. Also, it stays in too high a gear up until about 45 mph. At 25 through 35 mph, it turns 1100 rpm. This is too low - I can hear it lugging. Is it maybe in 3rd or 4th...
  6. G

Auto door locking.

Can this be done at home with a 2002? There is no info on this in the manual.
  7. G

B&M ShiftPlus

X24, is the B&M part#70381 what you have installed on your 5r55e?
  8. G

B&M ShiftPlus

So, is part#70381 for the v8? I need one for the sohc v6 (1998), or at least the schematic.
  9. G

B&M ShiftPlus

So has anyone actually tried the resistor thing? This sounds interesting. I am curious to see if this actually works. Wouldn't the resistance measurements be different for different trannys since the shift improvers have different part #'s?
  10. G

Explorer on Bronco chassis?

I know "anything" is possible, but would it be worth the work to put a 1st gen Explorer on a 78-79 Bronco chassis? If I were to build up an Explorer, I would want a V8 (which also means tranny & t-case swap), and at least d-44 strength axles. I know neither would be easy, I'm just thinking out...
  11. G

Xenondepot HID conversion kit

Originally Posted by BrooklynBay: This sounds interesting. I would like to find more info on this.
  12. G

Conversion to LPG- engine warning light has come on

Can you let us know what your MPG is running on LPG?
  13. G

will air bag disable engine?

I heard that once the airbag has deployed, the vehicle will not be driveable, or that the engine will not operate. Is this true?
  14. G

98 ranger front hubs

I may be mistaken, but rangers '97 and earlier had the ttb, which have hubs. '98 and later don't really have "hubs at all." They have a cv joint, which basically permanently engages the front wheels to the driveshaft. Power to the front wheels is controlled by the transfer case. My guess...
  15. G

93' Convertible Sport ;)

that's pretty cool. I think it would also look good chopped just behind the B pillar. Are you going to enclose the tailgate section? Just some ideas, maybe you could build a tube bumper with a swing-out tire carrier and some extra tubing to keep stuff from falling out the back. Or, would it...
  16. G

Looking for tire studding tool

Hasn't anyone done this themselves?
  17. G

Howdy, Just got 1998 Expplorer Sport SOHC

Flowmaster does not just make loud mufflers. Look at their website. I had a magnaflow on the Ex. and it sounded great from idle up to the low 1000's, but from there on it had a little bit of rice buzz to it. Going up hills was really loud. People in the back seat pretty much had to yell to...
  18. G

Howdy, Just got 1998 Expplorer Sport SOHC

Welcome to the board! The first thing I would reccommend would be to have the tranny filter replaced, and change the tranny fluid. Also, it is probably a good idea to change all the fluids. I'm sure there are more things to look after, but this is the first thing that came to mind. As for...
  19. G

Wheel backspacing

4.25" backspacing I believe is what the stock wheels are. If you want the wheels to be at least even with the fenders, you will need to get a wheel with less backspacing. The lower the number, the more the wheel will stick out. 3.75" backspacing for example, will stick out more than 4.25."...
  20. G

Wheel backspacing

You may want to consider 15X8" wheels. Tires will be much cheaper, and the sidewall will flex better. However, I have heard that the 16" wheels will handle better on-road than 15" wheels. All this is assuming that the outside tire diameter is the same.
  21. G

Driver's door stuck locked - how to remove door latch?

Thanks for that info. I may just end up taking it somewhere to have it done. I haven't had much free time lately.
  22. G

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what I can do now. Btw, how do you like the german headlights?
  23. G

I have a 98, and the driver's door lock is messed up. It won't unlock with the remote, with the key, or from inside. I did some searching, and I think the problem is a broken spring of some sort (not the door handle spring, but a smaller spring on the door latch). If this is the problem, I...
  24. G

Advancing Timing

How much $$$, and who does it?
  25. G

Looking for tire studding tool

A while back I remember reading a thread where someone mentioned they had a tool kit for pulling/inserting studs in winter tires. I am looking for a tool like this, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells them. Has anyone seen/heard of these?
Back