Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

4.0 V6 Harmonic Balancer questions

I've replaced my harmonic balancer or so the stealership said so. The squeek has returned now at 175K. My harmonic balancer is now squeeking again. It seems to squeek mostly during acceleration and then rythmically.
  2. T

2002 Explorer Window jammed in down position

The answer is for future reference: Drill some more holes in the door to access the clamp rivets.
  3. T

2002 Explorer Window jammed in down position

My driver's side window is jammed in the down position. Using the information on this website and the shop manual, I have removed the panels. In order to remove the window glass you have to have access to the fitting that affixes the regulator to the glass. The problem is that since I...
  4. T

steering wheel vibration

If its not any of the above, it could be a bubble in the power steering system. This is typically caused by moving the wheel after the ignition is turned off. To correct it, you do slow multiple figure 8s.
  5. T

2002 Parking Brake Mechanism

Hello: The parking brake on my 2002 2WD went out. The brake pedal will not lock in the down position. It happened when I pushed the brake pedal down to prevent the truck from rolling backwards on a ramp. The pedal itself still goes up and down. Any ideas? Thanks.
  6. T

2002 Explorer Upper Ball Joint

The upper ball joint on certain models of the 2002 Ford Explorer can be changed without replacing the whole arm. If you have an arm which looks like bent sheet metal, you can do it. I have a 2002 4 door XLS Explorer. I did it over Christmas. What you have to do is remove the whole arm...
  7. T

2002 4 door AC compressor

Hello: Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the YCC160 and the YCC233 AC compressor? It would appear that both of these are scroll compressors versus the FS-10 compressor used on the Explorer Sport series. I am looking to replace the compressor on my 2002 4 door XLS...
  8. T

ball joints after 76k miles?

Hey: I found out that the steel belts in one of my Continental tires broke. You think I could use duct tape on that too?
  9. T

ball joints after 76k miles?

Sorry to disagree with everyone. If you have the regular, non-sport trac version of the Explorer 2 WD, you can replace the upper ball joints with the original control arm. This is opposite of what my Chilton's says. I did my 2002 XLS (144k) last Friday in my driveway with the Moog...
  10. T

Shudder to the right

It turns out the problem was that the steel belt broke on the Continental tire. From talking with the tire people, Continental tires not only have a history of this, but usually have to be replaced due to tread wear at half of the 80,000 mile warranty. This is the first time I have ever...
  11. T

Changing upper ball joint with Autozone tool

Thanks for the input guys. This is what I ended up doing. With a little bit of pressure on the control arm with the jack, I was able to free the taper from the the steering knuckle with PB and hitting the knucke with a 3 lb hammer. I had to disconnect the control arm. With the control...
  12. T

Changing upper ball joint with Autozone tool

Hello: I am attempting to replace my upper ball joints on my 2002 4 door 2 WD Explorer. I have the bent metal control arm version. From what I have read, it is possible to replace these with new upper ball joints such as the Moog K80008. I acquired the Autozone tool, but I don't think...
  13. T

How much transmission fluid?

I got scared away from doing a flush after talking to a few shops and dealers. When I dropped the pan, I couldn't believe all of the metallic dust that was attached to the magnet at the bottom of the pan. I would not have discovered this without dropping the pan. All of the places that I...
  14. T

Shudder to the right

Hello: I am having a shuddering steering problem with my 2002 V6 Explorer with 143K. Going forward, the wheel rotates slightly to the right, stops, and then rotates slightly to the right some more. When going backwards the wheel rotates slightly to left, stops, and then rotates slightly to...
  15. T

5R55W Fluid Fill

Transmission fill trick I figured out the transmission fluid fill issue and developed a trick to keep things cleaner. When the transmission is cold, you will get out about 2 and 1/2 quarts out of the complete drain plug. There is another 1 and 1/2 quarts still in the pan that you cannot get...
  16. T

5R55W Fluid Fill

Difference in drain and fill volume I recently decided to drain and fill the tranmission pan on my 2002 two wheel drive Explorer. When I removed the whole drain plug, approximately 2 1/3 quarts of fluid came out. I understand that this is the amount that you would normally expect...
Back