Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Streaky Windows

That's not exactly what I was getting at. Just that the writing style looks like what is used by Tech Hotline. As well as the powerless "I'll get back to you" type response. Tech Hotline is more or less hog-tied from making any true decisions. Anything they say or write could wind up in court...
  2. G

Streaky Windows

Wow. Your responses are so "Tech Hotline" ish it's rediculous. Drive a Focus? Matching teardrop?
  3. G

sport trac AC

What he said. (ncranchero). Also, isn't the compressor clutch ground side switching? So a short to ground would cause constant running. Shorts to ground are usually easy to track and correct.
  4. G

Trans only goes in to gear below 1000 rpm

Transmission Troubleshooting Step 1: Fluid level. I know it's such a beginner type thing but that's exactly why it gets overlooked. I've seen so many trans "holy-****" moments boil down to low fluid. Also keep in mind that on an older one like this, it's possible the trans has been changed or...
  5. G

Rear axle end play

As clutch plates wear in a limited slip rear diff they can create some endplay. Check out this website. http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech018.htm It shows a rear diff rebuild. The author goes into a pretty good detail about the friction plates and the shims and how thickness...
  6. G

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Your right. There's some space in there. Dyna-mat and the likes are all pretty thin and can fit in nearly anywhere. That's your best bet if the noise is getting to you. If your not into pulling apart you new vehicle you could probably get a car audio shop to install some for a price.
  7. G

Battery drain

If you post what vehicle we're dealing with some people may be able to give more specific information. Year and model. Don't say "Explorer" because of course it is. Be more specific. Some things I've seen in general with Ford DVD players is that they will fail to "fall asleep" which causes a...
  8. G

Tin Roof Rain noise.

The cause is....drumroll......rain. The roof is metal and the rain strikes it with such velocity that the kinetic energy of gravity interacting directly and vertically upon the water molecules at a standard rate of 9.8 meters/second, (not accounting for the surface area/drag ratio) is...
  9. G

Merc Mountaineer "jumping"

A shimmy in reverse could be something alignment related. Unless of course we're still talking driveline and driveline shimmy. If that's the case then disregard. Also, wasn't there a TSB years back about a shudder when the TQ Converter engaged which caused a bump or small surge type...
  10. G

wheel speed sensor to another location??

Well I'll be.... Learned something new today.
  11. G

Now my curiousity is piqued about this Waskly. Even with it hardwired into the brake system, how is it going to prevent you from starting the engine, putting it into gear, and driving down the road? Does the truck magically shut off and lock up all the brakes if a sensor were to fail? Please...
  12. G

You don't need wheelspeed sensors to run or drive. Just for ABS or Traction Control functions. Leaving them unplugged will get you an ABS fault light on in the dash and an inop ABS system. (Not Recommended)
  13. G

rumble

Kind of sounds like bearings. An alignment wouldn't cause a bump feeling that matches tire speed.
  14. G

New Explorer pics

The homelink system in the visors could be retrofit. The unit itself only needs 12V supplied to it to work. Technically you could put one in your pocket with a 9V battery attached and it would still work. Let the modding begin. :D
  15. G

what you guys think about this?

Depends. If your thinking about doing it. I'll take the "hey, it's your truck, make it how YOU like it." :thumbsup::thumbsup: But if you wanted to mock a lifted 2wd truck :crazy:..........I could get behind that too.:biggthump
  16. G

Rearend noise.

I think I've got it. Tires can and will temporarily flatspot and cause just what you have. More pronounced in certain makes and/or quality of tires. As you drive the materials flex, heat up, and it works itself out. Then you park it, the weight sits on one spot of the tire as the...
  17. G

name this part!

"name this part!" I'd name it Shirley. Becasue it's Surely going to be important. Sorry, just being a wise azz.
  18. G

Cannot Quite front end! Help

You need a helper. Get someone you trust, who values your life and limb. Have them start the truck and cycle the steering back and forth while you are under there looking for what is loose. Look at the tie rod ends. (inner and outer) first. If tight then also make sure your steering rack is...
  19. G

Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

Nope. I have heard of, and seen, people drill a small 1/8 hole in a Tq Conv to drain it, then tap with 1/8 npt, and plug the hole. But it seems to me that it's too much work and risk for the reward.
  20. G

Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

Bout half. That's right. The torque converter will still be full, and that's a lot of fluid. As for mixing fluids. The ever popular Amsoil can be mixed.
  21. G

A completely insane/stupid 4.9l swap. Yes, I'm serious.

Your whole " you couldn't sell it because of registration" doesn't hold water. First, he never said he wanted to sell it. Second. In Nebraska there would be no debate over, "well if I move to ....... I couldn't drive it". One day in the local Omaha paper and it would be cash in hand. Anybody...
  22. G

gotta love stealerships

This is the reason most shops don't have the techs talk directly to the customer much. They've all got their own opinions on what will and won't "f-up" a car. As do the rest of us. The only part I'd agree with is that a Motorcraft filter is one of the better on the market. Made by Purolator, for...
  23. G

2004 Sport Trac - Hard To Start When Cold

^^^^ WDH007, You owe that guy a beer. That is a lot of research and diagnostics just for the hell of it. I agree with ncranchero's direction. It's an easy mistake to make with the changes from returnless to full return systems. You also need to make sure the pump runs when the key turns to...
  24. G

ABS problems - which wheel?

If it pulls one way or the other then the problem is on the side your pulling away from. The unintentional pulsing of pressure should cause less braking effort on that wheel. If it is not pulling then it's likely the rear diff. (3 channel system) The rears can't activate independently so you get...
  25. G

Oil leak

No, most of them will work. However I'd recommend staying away from "Magic Snake Oil" stopleak type products. If it's bad enough you really need to take action, take the right action and fix it. Most stopleak products, (oil, coolant, refrigerant, etc) will plug more than just the leak. In oils...
Back