Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

5.0 mileage

Hi, DO NOT PLUG YOUR EGR, it will throw a code. DO NOT try to run the tube to a sorce of clean air, I tried it! No code, but you will get some pinging from the motor at certain loads and rpm ranges. Altering the EGR also effects fuel economy in a neg. way. As for the rear cats, If you think...
  2. L

1.5" Addco rear bar

Hi, Well I always found much more of a difference in a better rear bar than fronts,not to shake you from doing a front as well. As far as the SCCOA forum,I use to have avery hot SC which eventually grew two cylinders into a 5.0 with a KennyBell whipplecharger. I dont believe that I ever opened...
  3. L

1.5" Addco rear bar

Rear antiswaybar Hi, I have an oversized aftermarket antiswaybar, I dont even remember who makes it, I know its not 1.5" its a little smaller, maybe 1.25? When I bought my first Ex. XLS even with its NEW 15" Mich. tires it scared me going around turns at highway speed. One little bump and it...
  4. L

Downstream O2's

I have also heard that many people have a problem after installing either a hi flow exhaust, or eliminating a rear set of cats. BUT, it seems that on many of these other vehicles the O2's are located one before and one after the REAR cats. Since on my 98 5.0 Ex the rear cats are after the rear...
  5. L

Downstream O2's

Hi, Well I'm going to buy atleast a new set of upstream O2s. Aldive, I'm very interested in your mentioning of turning off the rear O2s, I dont quite understand how, or by who's programing. I'm currently building my new 5.0 to replace my 166kmi. engine. My old engine is well and good, just...
  6. L

Mods & upgrades to improve mileage & performance

Hi, I've been told installing a new set of O2 sensors help a bit? I'm seriously thinking about doing it myself, any one out there do it? I'm well over 100K and have had to replace one already
  7. L

new mustang steering wheel questions- please read

Hi, I'm running a Mustang 2 tone leather wheel grey/black on my 1998. The wheel is from a early 2000's. I had to do a little grinding and drilling to first get it on the shaft and second reuse my origional cruise switches. I love it compared to the OEM skinny rubber/vinyl cruddy wheel it had.
  8. L

Where to put SC Emblems

How about an under the hood photo?????? Hi, How about posting an under the hood shot? I'm planning on a new motor and a blower, I always like to see what others have done. Please post:thumbsup:
  9. L

Ok, two exhaust questions and I think I got it

I agree, I had a flowmaster on an old hot rod of mine, ford 5.0 which did not have the OBD II issues since it was carbed. I noticed a HUGE loss of torque in low rpm. It was a 2 1/2 muff. I switched to a 2 1/4 dynomax superturbo, and it was great. For street performance I strongly recomend Dynomax.
  10. L

5.0 EX. valve springs Vs. Mustang valve springs

Hi, I'm gathering the parts to build another 5.0 for my Ex. I plan on a freshened up 87-88 Mustang bottom end, with a set of GT40p heads. I will most likely keep the mustang cam along with the Crane 1.7 roller rockers I already have. I'm well aware that the EXplorer valve springs are junk, and...
  11. L

5.0 cam sensor body shaft play?

SOOOooo, I guess at 166k I should check mine out!!?? I will check it out, I'm also planning a fresh engine build for the truck come spring. What is so special about the tool mentioned? I was just going to mark the body rotation to the block with a scribe, and the shaft rotation to the body...
  12. L

351 vs. 302

Hi, Well, I just decided today to give my current 5.0 its resting day sometime this late spring. Its a great smooth, clean oil running engine, its just getting tired, with 166kmi. on it. I'm replacing it with a low mile 87 casting Mustang short block (freshened up). Its a stronger casting block...
  13. L

5.0 cam sensor body shaft play?

In my quest to hunt out and destroy all the bugs still left in my 98 Ex. an elder friend of mine ,VERY farmiliar with engines!! asked me if I had changed the distributor shaft body (cam sensor and shaft body). He is, and has been a exporter of engines for about 30yrs, With a race background. I...
  14. L

5.0 Engine Max Rpm ?

Hi, I cleared the ecm a bunch of times, and have changed filters. Its probably due for another though anyway. I'm leaning more and more toward the valve springs. When I floor it parked, before hitting what I think is the rev limiter, it does sound like its starting to break up . And when...
  15. L

5.0 Engine Max Rpm ?

Hi, I could believe its cats. But, valvetrain float is a strong possibility too. This engine has 165K on it, runs otherwise good. Tach I believe is about right, I've had other 5.0's and I know very well what 6500 is like, not like I would expect it from this truck. I had a thought on ignition...
  16. L

5.0 Engine Max Rpm ?

I've asked this before, since then I've done some work on my truck. I have a 98 5.0 and it cant break 4800rpm. If I floor it it makes it to 4500-4800 and shifts no problem, but other 5.0 Explorers I've driven even in stock form seem to rev out much higher. One friends EX passes the 6000 on his...
  17. L

Realistic Gas Mileage Gains

Hi, Factory for a 5.0 is 14-18mpg. I average in the lower half of those numbers, I think it bites!! I've had quite a few cars/trucks before all Fords, many 5.0s. Fuel economy was never this bad except fot the early 80's throttle body injected ones.One day my friend saw me literally throw the...
  18. L

5.0 mileage

Hi, My cat back I put together is a Y into a single inlet/ outlet muffler and all 2 1/2 incl. the tail.
  19. L

5.0 mileage

Yes Those Are Hi, Yes those cast manifolds on ebay are the ones. AND, NO you do not have to change the down pipes, They fit exactly the same, you will only need two longer bolts ,one for each side that bolt them to the heads.As for the FMS headers, I have not heard anything that good enough...
  20. L

5.0 mileage

Hi, First, I was only going to change my cracked stainless OEM manifold. But, after removing it I saw that all the pipe to head flange weld is internal. This makes the port the size of a small peanut!! Then I saw that the manifold was actually stamped and welded plate versus pipe, so their are...
  21. L

Supercharged V8 Explorers Where Are You ??

Hi, I'm working on my supercharger install now. I know of some Merc. Mounties with EE Xcharger kits on them online. Since there are alot more Explorers on the road, I'd figure that there would be more of them who's owners also did blowers on them? But, I can only figure they are in stealth mode...
  22. L

5.0 mileage

Hi, I just finished my manifold install. I had the same crimped stainless ones you have now. They are the absolute worst!! I did not have the money for TM headers, I bought the 99-01 cast manifolds really cheap. Let me tell you the cast parts are a big improvement over the stainless!! Just like...
  23. L

wHich 17" tire

Hi, I run 94-95 Mustang split tri spoke 17" with F150 size 255-65-17 rubber. The offset slightly rubs the front antisway bar if making a hard full turn, But, No real problem.
  24. L

Can I pull the front DS in a V8?

Hi, I'm Telling you right now that you can pull the shaft!! I have a 1998 5.0 and it had a bad shaft upon purchase. It made alot of noise upon acceleration. Since I only wanted a 2WD truck, I pulled the shaft. YES, I do set the emergency brake when parked.I also pulled out the entire front axle...
  25. L

Cracked Manifold Out, Rear Cats Out?

Becoming a bigger snowball as it goes!! Thanks, but I ordered the pipe last night. As well as some 1.7 Roller rockers. I figured since I'm installing the exhaust and have to play with the egr tube, I might as well add a 1" intake spacer. And since I'm going to have the intake off, I might as...
Back