Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

97 Ford Explorer w/Premium JBL - Need Wiring Harness Help.

The problem with the early second gen JBL systems is that the radio amp and tuner are integrated, but located in the rear cargo area behind the plastic side panel. along with that is the separate amp for the subwoofer. The head unit in the dash is literally just that, it just controls the radio...
  2. K

O/D off, 4Hi, 4Lo all flashing

Sounds like it may be stuck in 4 low, or somewhere in between due to the infamous transfer case issues. The input and output speeds aren't what the computer expects so it then flashes the lights as a warning. At least, that's what mine did. Try shifting the transfer case again and see if it will...
  3. K

You can never trust what someone tells you

If the crank sensor isn't working for whatever reason (wiring or sensor) the CEL should stay on when cranking. A quick indication that it might be the issue.
  4. K

Alternator pigtail info.

It may put out more amps. The first one I looked up was only 110, but anyways. The Escape alternator looks to be a 6g, the Explorer alt is a 3g. I couldn't find anything that conclusive on wiring it, except that the wiring should be pretty much the same but with a different plug.
  5. K

Brakes, she's a leaker!

A blown line over the rear axle is a feature on these it seems. At some point Ford put better lines in (01 or so), but there is a bracket right on the top of the pumpkin and holds the line. They rust through and break there first, generally.
  6. K

Headlight Out - no power to headlight - Little Help?

Very likely the lamp out module that is attached to the inside of the center console. If you're lucky you can repair the broken solder joints. If you're unlucky it'll melt and smoke up the interior like mine did. If you pull the cup holders and message center out it's a small black box on the...
  7. K

4x4 Low transfer case weird clunk

Nope. You need the 4405 transfer case fixes from Omega Machine. If you don't want to spend the cash (probably $4-500 all totalled) you can take the transfer case apart and put the range collar in the right place to engage 4wd high/auto. Then, don't put it in 4low again or you'll have the same...
  8. K

Brake Shopping Dilema. Do I have 2.6 height. Dahhh after a decade

Odd that they asked about distance. After looking up the rotors on autozone's website, they seem to show the rotor hat diameter for the rear, and the hub bore for the front (2.6"), but the rotors are also clearly listed as front and rear on the product pages. Not sure why they had such a...
  9. K

Rear LiftGate on Gen 1 Mounteer and Gen 2 Explorer the Same?

The 98-01 wiper motors suck. They seem to get stuck after a while and not work.
  10. K

Rear LiftGate on Gen 1 Mounteer and Gen 2 Explorer the Same?

If you have a 99, you want a 99-01 rear hatch. 98 would also work but doesn't have the holes for the trim across the bottom. There really are 4 different hatches: 91-94, 95-97, 98, 99-01. Then the later model sports got a different design yet again.
  11. K

Pull Motor/Trans Together or Separate?

I don't think so. If I recall, the output shaft needs to be changed as well, and it's one of the first things to go in when the transmission is put together. I could be wrong though. I don't think the trans will come out with the engine anyways, not with the body on.
  12. K

What Is The Transfer Case Weight For?

x2 on Harmonics. I've seen some 4405 transfer cases that don't have them at all.
  13. K

Considering engine swap from 4.0 SOHC...

As said, with all of the changes you have to make to swap to a different engine, it's easier to fix or replace what you have. If you had an entire donor vehicle, that's one thing, but considering most second gen Explorers are selling well under $3000, it's far simpler to just sell yours and buy...
  14. K

Transfer case. Good or bad?

I've got to pull my transfer case as well... Has any one else had issues getting the rear driveshaft to T/C flange bolts out? I have the parking brake set, and am putting enough torque on the bolts to over power that. Granted, the parking brake has never been strong enough to hold the Explorer...
  15. K

Good quality replacement steering rack?

What's bad on your rack? I got a reman from NAPA 3 years ago that's been fine, but it doesn't have a ton of miles on it.
  16. K

Accessing the J3 port on the EEC-V

I think you'll have to pull the PCM out to install the tweecer.
  17. K

And it's dead

Chain may have broken as well, I'm assuming that's a picture of the valve cover.
  18. K

Lost all gears while offroad, transfer case or shift motor?

Another bump. Got mine to go back into 4 low with a nice thunk. It seems to be stuck in there despite what the dash indicator says. Also got a flashing O/D light after driving a short distance, possible trans overheat due to being stuck in 4 high. I'm going to check operation of the shift...
  19. K

Any options for a taller driver's headrest?

Seats from a Limited model will have the closest to what you're looking for. They're less of a bucket seat, but they do have an adjustable headrest. I haven't found a set in good enough condition here, but you may have better luck.
  20. K

Lost all gears while offroad, transfer case or shift motor?

Pretty sure I just had this happen...bumping it back to the top. I'm not sure if there is a sticky thread on it.
  21. K

eBay: $8.63 shipped Moog K700542 endlink

I didn't get these quite that cheap but I have used them....install was quite easy, I was happy about that. We'll see about the longevity of them though.
  22. K

99 Ranger Repaint

Came out great. How much money did you have in paint and prep materials?
  23. K

2000 Ford Explorer won't stop honking?

Is the hood closed all of the way?
  24. K

Virginia beach meet

Probably. Lavender Ln?
  25. K

Virginia beach meet

The lifted Sport Trac that he has? Yes.
Back